First Review by animalsrule

Diappointing - Edit

The Lebanon Food Co-op & it's sister Co-op in neighboring Hanover are pretty disappointing for vegetarians. The deli is almost all meat, the Co-op is a mix of natural food from Northeast distributors & regular bad groceries. Practically nothing is vegan, and the staff, though friendly, don't know anything about natural food or even what their own store stocks. [edit by staff]

Plus, the prices are insanely high. We joined because we believe in co-ops, but the benefit is a rediculously tiny refund at the end of a year. It has been hard to move to New Hampshire as a vegetarian, and the Co-op, which I was initially excited about because it's so huge, has been the biggest disappointment of all.
Updated from previous review on Monday March 03, 2008

Pros: decent bulk section, organic produce, some natural products

Cons: out of touch with latest products, lots of fake food, expensive

pleasantly surprised - Edit

I was a little worried that I, too, would be disappointed with this store, based on the previous review and also that is difficult to determine from the co-op's website whether there were any vegan options or not. Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised. There is, as a previous reviewer stated, a hefty meat/deli department and at first it doesn't seem like there is anything vegan at all. I did find a few vegan pre-made options near the deli (i.e., ethiopian stew, moroccan tagine) but if you're looking for a substantial ready-made vegan section (a la Whole Foods, with huge salad bar options, pre-made vegan sandwiches, etc.) you won't find it. However, in the frozen section I found a bunch of stuff by Amy's and Tofutti. Finally, near the produce section at the end of the store,I found the vegan case: products by Tofurky, Smartlife, Ives, Follow Your Heart, Tofutti, Mori-nu, West Soy Seitan, Galaxy Foods, and probably more that I can't remember. I was pretty impressed, considering where I lived in rural NY it was nearly impossible to find so much variety under one roof. Just watch out for some of the soy cheeses; a few aren't vegan because they contain casein. The produce section also looked beautiful...a lot of variety. Also, there are a ton of bulk bins (including spices) so that's always awesome - the store's website encourages shoppers to bring their own containers (which they will tare) to cut down on packaging waste. Looking forward to shopping here!

Return to Lebanon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Co-op Food Store closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.