Co-op Food Store

• Health-food-store Health Store
603-643-4889

12 Centerra Parkway Ste 75 (at /off Rte 120 north from Hanover), Lebanon, New Hampshire, USA, 03766

Wide selection of grocery, organic produce, deli foods, bulk, frozen foods, supplements, care products, and more. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-9:00pm.

First Review by animalsrule

Best local option - Edit

If you are like me and moved from an urban enter to rural New England, the absence of Whole Foods or other such grocery stores with plenty of unique food options may feel extremely constraining.
As a vegan for over five years, I have grown used to my Kite Hill cheeses, my One Degree bread, my Barbara's cereal, and a number of other products that regular groceries often do not stock. The Co-Op is by far the best local grocery store option around in terms of finding higher quality and more exclusive products than those at conventional grocery stores. There is not as much variety as in a Whole Foods, but Co-Op did have a lot of the brand products I purchase as well as a nice selection of fresh breads, fruit, and specialty gourmet products. I am especially a fan of how they sell spices and various grains by weight rather than in pre-packaged amounts.
Additionally, the staff is always very helpful and very friendly. Great store. Would definitely recommend shopping here if you're looking for some tasty food.

Pros: Sells more obscure products, High Quality Goods, Friendly Staff

Cons: Lack of variety, small

Diappointing - Edit

The Lebanon Food Co-op & it's sister Co-op in neighboring Hanover are pretty disappointing for vegetarians. The deli is almost all meat, the Co-op is a mix of natural food from Northeast distributors & regular bad groceries. Practically nothing is vegan, and the staff, though friendly, don't know anything about natural food or even what their own store stocks. [edit by staff]

Plus, the prices are insanely high. We joined because we believe in co-ops, but the benefit is a rediculously tiny refund at the end of a year. It has been hard to move to New Hampshire as a vegetarian, and the Co-op, which I was initially excited about because it's so huge, has been the biggest disappointment of all.
Updated from previous review on Monday March 03, 2008

Pros: decent bulk section, organic produce, some natural products

Cons: out of touch with latest products, lots of fake food, expensive

pleasantly surprised - Edit

I was a little worried that I, too, would be disappointed with this store, based on the previous review and also that is difficult to determine from the co-op's website whether there were any vegan options or not. Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised. There is, as a previous reviewer stated, a hefty meat/deli department and at first it doesn't seem like there is anything vegan at all. I did find a few vegan pre-made options near the deli (i.e., ethiopian stew, moroccan tagine) but if you're looking for a substantial ready-made vegan section (a la Whole Foods, with huge salad bar options, pre-made vegan sandwiches, etc.) you won't find it. However, in the frozen section I found a bunch of stuff by Amy's and Tofutti. Finally, near the produce section at the end of the store,I found the vegan case: products by Tofurky, Smartlife, Ives, Follow Your Heart, Tofutti, Mori-nu, West Soy Seitan, Galaxy Foods, and probably more that I can't remember. I was pretty impressed, considering where I lived in rural NY it was nearly impossible to find so much variety under one roof. Just watch out for some of the soy cheeses; a few aren't vegan because they contain casein. The produce section also looked beautiful...a lot of variety. Also, there are a ton of bulk bins (including spices) so that's always awesome - the store's website encourages shoppers to bring their own containers (which they will tare) to cut down on packaging waste. Looking forward to shopping here!

O.K. - Edit

The Co-op Food Store is an ok food store(for vegetarians)They may have a meat deli but the vegetarian food is all-natural, healthy, and organic.

Return to Lebanon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Co-op Food Store closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1904 times.