Clover Food Lab

Contact n/a

1075 Cambridge St, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, 02138

Vegetarian fast food restaurant in Harvard Square. Casual atmosphere with free Wi-Fi. Part of the Clover Food Truck company that operates mobile trucks in Boston and Cambridge - see website for locations. Mon-Wed 7:00am-12:00am, Thu-Sun 7:00am-12:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by markc7

Good for vegetarians, not very good for vegans - Edit

I went there with my husband. I am vegan, whilst he's vegetarian. He liked very much the seitan BBQ sandwich, vegetarian. I asked for the vegan version of the same sandwich but it was too simple... You can taste that something is missing. Clover should work more to improve their vegan recipes.

Pros: vegetarian recipes

Cons: very few vegan options (not good)

Fresh food - Edit

I really like the concept: they seek to make satisfying fast food that's also fresh and nutritious. They certainly deliver on that. Their various offerings are quite tasty, and they're always working behind the scenes to innovate and improve.

However, the portions are on the small side, so I need two helpings to get full, which makes for a pretty expensive lunch.

My biggest complaint is with the breakfast. I came here to meet several friends on a Saturday morning. After reading and re-reading the breakfast menu a few times, I was surprised to find nothing vegan. I figured I must be missing something, because what kind of vegetarian establishment doesn't offer a vegan option? So I asked a worker, and he feebly suggested that I get a muffin (which wasn't actually vegan...). It was disappointing that this veggie spot lacked vegan options, and it was even more disappointing that the staff seemed oblivious to this oversight.

Pros: fresh food, fast, innovative

Cons: small portions, limited vegan options

What's good is amazing - Edit

I came to clover while on a trip to Boston and tried the very best sandwich I think I'll ever have in my life. It was a hakurei turnip sandwich with a miso carrot salad, crispy fried onions and a togarashi mayo. It was to die for.
But originally I had ordered the mezza plate and was less than impressed; a few tablespoons of some okay salads, a plain pita and a mass of hummus. I tried a bite of my mum's hakurei pita and luckily went back to get my own.
Overall it started out as quite disappointing but ended up being the highlight of my trip!

Affordable, tasty vegetarian student cafe - Edit

Clover is a vegetarian fast food style cafe with a few vegan options. The service is friendly and the food is quite tasty. I did have to eat with a plastic fork and knife, however.

I can recommend the chickpea fritter and the rosemary fries. Unfortunately, the BBQ seitan was not as good as I hoped.

Pros: affordable, tasty, fast

Cons: plastic fork and knife, fast food style

Great for a quick lunch - Edit

They have a few vegan options and most of them are tasty. I haven't had problems getting veganized food or getting understood as vegan. Try especially the rosemary fries! Service is fast and everything is compostable.

Pros: many vegan options, fast

Cons: not totally vegan, a bit noisy at times

eh - Edit

The place has a cool look and feel but I wasn't overly impressed by the food. I'm vegan and I got the BBQ seitan platter--the seitan was so hard and rubbery that I broke my fork trying to cut it. The Rosemary fries were really good though.

we gave it a shot - Edit

It's definitely not somewhere you go I have your way for. But the food was good. And the staff was very helpful

Pros: vegan available, food was tasty even to my heart my son who doesn't, concept is inviting to students

Cons: not somewhere I would take somebody out to dinner., felt fast food like in its ordering area, it's a place for a quick bite not a nice dinner an

Doesn't Understand Vegan... - Edit

First of all, I would give this restaurant one star if I could, but as they are "Vegetarian," HappyCow requires at least two stars.

I am a vegan, and if you are reading this, I'm assuming you understand that that means no dairy and no eggs. I am always cautions when eating out, even at a vegetarian restaurant and made a very specific request that I am vegan and would end up very sick if I consumed dairy. I then ordered per the host's suggestion with a request for no cheese or may on my sandwich. I didn't inspect my food before digging in, and a few bites in realized that there were large chunks of cheese in the sandwich. I don't know if it was an issue of cross-contamination or what, but I brought it back and asked for a replacement specifying "vegan, no eggs no dairy" once again. Upon inspection I realized that the new sandwich had mayo.

Needless to say, if you are vegan for whatever reason I would not go here, unless you plan on thoroughly inspecting your food before eating it. I would consider this service unacceptable for any restaurant but I find it even more disappointing coming from a vegetarian one.

Cons: Adds dairy to vegan food

Not the best for vegans - or anyone - Edit

I have had enough bad experiences here that I have decided to stop going even though it is so conveniently located.

Before I get into the food, I'll say that it's not really a fun experience because you have to wait for them to call your name to get your food, and they don't have any speaker system, so you have to listen really carefully, and sometimes it's nearly impossible to hear. It's not uncommon to spend the first 15 minutes of your time there straining to hear your name.

Now the food:

The day it opened, I ordered the cauliflower soup. It was possibly the worst thing I've ever eaten. If not the worst, definitely the second worst. It tasted fermented. It was bubbly and sour. I could only take about 2 bites before I gave up. Unfortunately, I had ordered it to go, so I couldn't easily take it back.

The main reason I kept going back was that the fries are really good. However, lately they have been very inconsistent. One day, there was way too much salt, and the next day there was almost none. They need to train the staff better so that they can have a consistent product.

Also, they don't have a lot of vegan options. Once I mentioned it to a staff member and he said that they weren't trying to be vegan-friendly. However, they did later get Vegenaise.

I went last night and saw that they had seitan chili. I asked if it was vegan and was told it was, so I ordered it. When it arrived, it had what looked like sour cream on top, so I asked the employee if it was vegan sour cream. She said, "No. Did you not want sour cream?" I said, "I was told the chili was vegan." She said, "The chili is vegan, but not the sour cream." Why would they tell people something is vegan if they put something non-vegan on top of it without asking? Anyway, she then said she would fix it, and I watched as she scooped off the sour cream and dumped it in the trash.

I will not go back.

Pros: fries, location, chickpea fritter

Cons: sometimes horrible food, waiting for your name to be called, misinforms about what is vegan

tasty, simple, cool - Edit

Minimalist decor and service does not detract from the positive experience of eating at clover. The service is quick, the food tasty and cheap. Portion sizes are nothing to write home about, but you get a decent meal.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday February 22, 2012

Pros: cool environment, fast service

Cons: portions fairly small

Return to Cambridge Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Clover Food Lab closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3193 times since Jan 2011.