Civico 1845

Contact 619-431-5990

1845 India St, San Diego, California, USA, 92101

Serves meat, vegan options available. An Italian-run restaurant in San Diego's Little Italy, opened Jun 2015. Offers a separate vegan items menu which includes dishes like spinach ravioli, lasagna, fried mushrooms, cheese substitute, and desserts. Makes pasta in-house. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat 11:00am-11:00pm, Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Italian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by vsvihla

so awesome - Edit

We went here while visiting San Diego and it ended up being our favorite place for dinner...a cute restaurant where we could get appetizers, main dishes, dessert, alcohol - the whole nine yards. The service was slow but that's European...and we weren't in any rush to leave! We splurged and got the mushroom calamari AND the arancini (I only wish the mushroom pieces had been larger because it was a lot of fried naughtiness in relation to veg). I got a mushroom ravioli dish, my fiancé got the lasagna, and then we shared the tiramisu. Just to be able to order vegan tiramisu was so awesome! And the decaf coffee I got with soy milk came with the soy milk heated up!! Brilliant! Planning to go there again on our last night of our visit here...can't wait!

Didn't order the best thing but lots of potential - Edit

Came here with my family, super excited to try vegan Italian food and be at a place where everybody could order something to their liking. I ordered a pesto gnocchi dish from the vegan menu. Unfortunately it was super bland and under-salted, I almost couldn't finish it. My dad ordered the vegan lasagna and it was much better than my dish. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and am going to go back in a couple weeks to try again because their vegan menu is so huge and I think they have a lot of promise and potential, I may have just ordered the wrong thing.

Also, the owner came over to talk to us and we really really enjoyed him. He owns the restaurant with his brother who is vegan and they came here recently from Italy. They are passionate about this new vegan venture and I truly believe they will improve with time and feedback, as it's fairly new. He was super friendly and made the experience worth it, despite my bad dish.

Will update my review when I go again!

Pros: Truly authentic Italian, Large separate vegan menu, Great atmosphere

Delicious vegan menu available - Edit

After a week in San Diego, we thought we had tried all the vegan options that the city had to offer but we were wrong. We were so happy to stumble upon Civico while walking through SD's Little Italy. They were very friendly and welcoming to two tired parents, a four year old, and a stroller. The food was delicious. We ordered appetizers, main courses, and dessert and loved everything we ordered. They make their own vegan cheeses inhouse. Great place to try out for a nicer dinner if you are in the neighborhood!

Pros: Separate vegan menu, Good selection

Fancy place to treat yourself! - Edit

Loved having my own menu. My husband and I chose this spot as a special night out - we usually don't get both an appetizer and a dessert with our meals but I couldn't resist! Good food, good portions, and our waitress was knowledgeable about the vegan options.

Pros: Variety in choices , Atmosphere

Best Vegan Italian I have ever had - Edit

There is a special EXTENSIVE VEGAN menu. Also the alcoholic beverages specify which is vegan. I had the oyster mushroom "calamari," potato pesto, and strawberry cake. All were AMAZING! Very fun friendly romantic atmosphere. Friendly attentive service.

Pros: Extensive vegan special menu, EXCELLENT food, friendly staff

Secret is to eat at the bar UPDATE - Edit

UPDATE: Sadly, their vegan lasagna was heavy with fake meat & another defrosted taste of the pasta dough.
My friend felt his prawns pasta was pretty heavy as well, Spatzel style.
I am use to the American Tiramisu so their authentic Italian style was too bready & heavy.
I would have preferred a light fluffy desert.
The constant server, staff & busser over checked up on us which would be considered good service but it only means our conversation kept being interrupted. I'm sure culturally, it's natural to engage but not for us.
*****

When weekenders or weeknights never put you off even more for this over crowded Little Italy, always request to sit at the bar as you can order & eat there.
You get a personal bartender to serve you!

Don't be intimidated by their stressed out host & the little Italian grandpy, it's part of being in Italy!

Ask to view the separated kitchen for Vegan and non vegan preparations.

The mushroom calamari was a direct deep fried version in replacement for fries. Other restaurants would have it slightly breaded & wont leave it fried too long. For civico with no breadedness, I would recommend not over drenching it in the batter. I felt like I was going to leave with high cholesterol and heart attack. Tasted kinda over fried.

The Ravioli pasta: the dough outside itself tasted like it had been defrosted.

I had amazing Italian food in NYC & in Italy and of course, this did not really come close to the experience.

The Penne was mundane. Something we can make ourselves at home. If there's no colour of the rainbow in vegetables, I'm easily unimpressed.

All breads are naturally vegan but of course not GF.

Bruchetta was different as the bread was served warm rather croutons style where it'll break under you so good on that.

I may have been more or less slightly turned off with the host turning me away "No Tables" by one look at me with prejudge eyes in my heavily Inked live canvas and probably redneck crocs compared to the others waiting in their gucci and jimmy choos.
I also felt judged by the Grandpa of the House.

I know Italian culture is all about the exterior but sometimes, the most affluent beings are those that have nothing to prove.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 28, 2015

Pros: location, decor spacious, vegan menu

Cons: judging and crowded, intimidating welcome, no privacy

Sooooo Delicious - Edit

This restraurant was all I hoped it would be and more! I thoroughly enjoyed my food as did the rest of my family. The bread served on the table is vegan which is exciting for me. I ordered the vegan Eggplant and got scared. The cheese in it seemed so realistic that I thought it was real cheese. But my waiter confirmed that the chef makes all of the cheese! House made vegan cheese so good it scared me haha. Needless to say it was awesome. My father who is a meat eater decided to order the vegan lasagna and thoroughly enjoyed it. Highly recommend this place! Well worth the money and good portions all around :)

Pros: Vegan menu , house made vegan cheese

Wonderful Italian restaurant with a vegan menu - Edit

We visited in June 2015 when we saw they had a vegan menu on display. After wandering through little Italy, we were resigned to basic pasta and red sauce, so we were thrilled to find a more adventurous restaurant. We tried the mushroom "calamari" which which were crispy and tasty. I was expecting a thickly breaded, deep fried dish, but the mushrooms were lightly seasoned and fried crisp. They were tasty, and a huge serving that we did not finish. We tried two entrees, which were medium-sized servings. The Pesto gnocchi were delicate in texture and the sauce fresh and flavorful. The ravioli were generously sized and served with plenty of marinara sauce. We ended with Tiramisu- a rare find for a vegan restaurant! It was delicious and we finished every bit of it, even though we were quite full.
The service was friendly though a bit slow-though this did not detract from our experience as it simply made the restaurant seem a bit more European. The decor is inviting and location great. Prices were on par with neighborhood (not cheap).

Pros: Full vegan menu, Tiramisu!!!!

Cons: Wine/beer only- no liquor

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Civico 1845 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1475 times since Jun 2015.