City Shop - Gubei

• Health Store Health Store
Contact 021-6215-0418

3211 Hongmei Road (at Gubei area), Shanghai, China,

Part of a chain throughout Shanghai. This location offers some organic and vegan-friendly products, many of which are on the second floor: TVP, quinoa, fresh organic vegetables from the store's own farm, and more. Due to many products being imports, expect premium prices. Offers delivers anywhere in the city. Open .

First Review by amerp

Good vegetables - Edit

Aside from highly expensive imports (due to high import duties on them) of the highly processed rubbish we're all so used to from back home, City Shop also runs their own farms in Shanghai.

Their vegetable quality is great, better than at the local markets and most likely safer to consume. The price also roughly tends to be the same or only slightly more expensive. You can also buy vegetables that you won't normally find at the local vegetable markets.

A delivery all over Shanghai is offered for free on orders above 200RMB.

Pros: Great quality vegetables, Vegetable pricing same as at markets

Cons: Expensive imports

I have to completely agree with the other review. I love this place and it is one of the reasons I am still able to live in Shanghai but it can be pricey.

STAFF: I had my first helpful member of staff in the Shanxi road location today - the rest so far have been a bit dim - I haven't met all of them though!

STORE/FIT OUT: Well laid out and items are easy to find. The stores are always clean and make me feel a little bit at home as they seem styled on the more upmarket organic shops in Canada and Australia.

PRODUCTS: The food can be a bit all over the place as I think their inventory depends on availability. That said they do get a lot of products I haven't seen in ages! Cherry Coke!!!! As previously mentioned some of my staple foods such as olive oils, balsamic, avocado or grape seed oils and various organic products are pricey. Unfortunately for me they are pricey all over the world.

This is a great place - it does help more western expats live a bit longer in Shanghai!

Pros: quality stuff, clean stores, Keeping me alive!

Cons: bit pricey but you get what you pay for!

GOOD but not cheap - Edit

This store has all imported goods almost and is realy big, on the second level of the store is a small cafe place where you can get fresh carrot juices made and fresh drinks. The store also has a deli and salad bar. If the prices were not so expensive, I think I would shop here everyday. I wanted to make pasta (pasta, cheese, oil, tomato sauce) these ingredients seem like they would be very cheap to buy in USA, but in this store you are paying tons of money just for a bottle of tomato sauce. Check out on the lower floor you can buy a can of pepsi, if you get the chinese version its like 2-3 rmb, if you get the american version its like 15-20 rmb

Pros: expensive $$$, all imported

Cons: variety, big- lots of choices

Return to Shanghai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has City Shop - Gubei closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1620 times since Aug 2007.