City O' City

Contact 303-831-6443

206 E 13th Ave, Denver, Colorado, USA, 80203

A down-tempo coffee house and bar. Full menu and thin crust vegetarian and vegan pizzas. Serves breakfast til 5pm and the full lunch and dinner menu from 11am-2am. Offers options made without gluten including pizza and various bakery items. Car parking requires a fee. Mon-Sun 7:00am-2:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Pizza, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by

Not Great Service / Average Food At Best - Edit

I saw great reviews for this restaurant, so decided to try it. I sat at the counter, as the restaurant seemed quite crowded. It took over 5 minutes before anyone behind the bar noticed I was sitting there, and they were not so busy as not to even hand me a menuI ordered, based on a recommendation from one of the people behind the bar the udon. I found it to be very salty, and just not that good.The restaurant was far too loud for my taste.

Cons: too loud, not so great food, not good service

HIP af - Edit

Not only was this place poppin' on the Friday evening we showed up, but vibe was really something. My partner and I put our names in for a 25 minute wait (that ended up being a 45 minute wait, worth it). We're from New England, where our veg options are much more limited so the ability to have anything on the menu was delightful. We had the miso cauliflower and the smoky tempeh salad to start. DIVINE. For the main course, we had both the pasta gremolata and the udon noodle bowl- which had the best damn broth I've ever had. Spicy and complex, words do it no justice. You will regret not going here. I only wish we had come once more before leaving Denver.

Flavor Overload - Edit

I love trying different vegan friendly restaurants when I travel. I found City O' City in Denver and ordered a cup of carrot-ginger soup and the Buff Wrap. The soup was quite good, though the ginger flavor over-powered the carrot flavor, I did like the roasted nuts added to the soup. The Buff Wrap was VERY hot & spicy; it was roasted seitan in a very hot BBQ sauce, with nice crisp lettuce in a flour tortilla wrap. I'd give the meal a B+, tasty but not over-the-top delicious. The atmosphere was uber-hipster and super fast service. I sat at the coffee bar and was tempted to try a latte and cookie for dessert but was too full. Maybe next time!

Pros: creative vegan dishes, friendly staff & quick service

Cons: very funky environment-not bad but just a heads up

favorite!!!! - Edit

Love, love, LOVE this place. Paid $5 to park on a public corner, totally fine with saving the hassle of finding a spot. We had to wait 30 min or so- was nice to hang out at the cocktail bar. There's also a coffee bar or lounge area or 2 to wait in. Got the 30 knots cocktail...it was okay, not sure if they have traditional cocktails, they have a bunch of mixology type drinks listed, along with beer and wine. We ate all vegan. We got the Triple Dipper appetizer (fried pickles, fried ravioli & veggies with ranch)- amazing. We also split the Cesar salad and it was wonderful. Split the traditional-style chicken and waffles for our entree and WOW...amazing!!!!!! I got a coconut milk latte as light and stimulating dessert and it was better than Starbucks. We got to-go desserts - the Smore cup and the carrot cake cupcake and have already sampled them both and they're both really good but the Smore cup is incredible!!! Loved the vibe of the restaurant, the food prices were great for the quality and portion and overall presentation and such!!! I wasn't crazy about my cocktail. The cider beer was great, light & crisp, not too sweet. The service was great. Love that they'll text you when your table is ready. There's also sidewalk seating available. Can't say enough good things, I want to eat here again tomorrow!!

Pros: amazing vegan food , price, atmosphere

Cons: had to wait a little while...totally worth it tho!, breakfast not served all day , parking is a little bit of a hassle

awesome - Edit

Awesome food and super friendly staff. the tempeh hash with both gravies was amazing mouth-orgasm territory. Love the bakery case is all vegan. Got some great day old cookies for cheap. would definitely recommend!

Pros: vegan bakery case, tons of vegan options , friendly staff

Cons: street parking

Fav Place - Edit

Hipster heaven. I don't concern myself with such things. I really enjoy this place. Solo dinning or introducing a group of out of towners. Frequent often and enjoy it every time. Regular menu with seasonal specials. Good beer on tap. Usally a wait on the wknd, but small local shops nearby to spend the wait. Dont leave with out any of the vegan desserts. Live love this place!

Pros: Food, Location

Cons: weekend wait

Did not disappoint! - Edit

WOW friends of mine recommended this restaurant and it was awesome. I had the fried cauliflower ("chicken")and waffles which was unreal! I also took home a delicious vegan pizza with their house nut cheese to enjoy later. I would definitely return to eat here.

Pros: taste, variety

AMAZING - Edit

We stayed down the road at the Hostel and we ate here twice in our stay. Food was amazing(the country gravy {vegan} was to die for), staff was friendly. Almost everything on their menu was able to be made vegan,and everything was clearly labeled. We hope to make it back soon.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Good Value, Amazing Food

waffle heaven - Edit

This place rules. After going here last year, I started eating everything with waffles! We were in Denver for 6 days and ate at City O City 5 times!
The savory waffle is ridiculous, so good. Huge portions and super reasonable pricing. The cafe is phenomenal.
The restaurant is super cute and really cozy.
Staff was super helpful and really nice. We felt like old friends by the end of our trip. I'd come back to Denver just to eat here again!

best Caesar salad!! - Edit

Arrived in Denver late and was so happy to dine here. Love that they're open so late! It has been so long since I had a really good Caesar salad and this salad was super. Totally satisfied my Caesar craving. The Mac and cheese was ok...too sweet for me. My boyfriend really enjoyed the el jefe burger. We ordered the chicken and waffles in order to try the chicken fried cauliflower. I was kinda disappointed in the cauliflower but I really enjoyed the waffle. Server was really sweet and gave us 2 complimentary cookies that were quite good. We would definitely return and highly recommend!

All around terrific place. - Edit

I came here for brunch one morning after reading the menu to my non-vegetarian boyfriend. One mention of the All Day Breakfast Sandwich and he was sold. I had both a mimosa and the tempeh bacon hash, veganized. The service and the food were both spectacular. Our waiter was probably the most adorable guy I have ever seen and he was awesome at making sure we had a lovely experience. The food was also amazing. I am definitely coming back here for dinner the next time I am in Denver.

Pros: Love the food. , Sweet staff. , Awesome patio.

Absolutely loved this place! - Edit

Stopped in for a visit while on vacation. I wish we had one of these in my hometown!

Our visit occurred during brunch hours so there were lots of options to choose from. Our party ended up getting the all day breakfast sandwich, the city breakfast, and the breakfast burrito. Although all of the items were more than satisfactory, if given the chance, I would easily get the all day breakfast sandwich again. The sauce that came on the burrito was also superb!

Their mango tea was refreshing and I would definitely recommend it!

Also - LOVED the atmosphere! Very upbeat and energetic. Did I already say that I wish we had one of these in my city? ;)

Pros: Wide Variety, Fresh Ingredients, Great Atmosphere

Great great food-not always true vegetarian - Edit

I love this restaurant. We've eaten here a number of times and will continue to. That being said, not all of the ingredients are vegetarian. How do I know this? Because I have a freakish and dangerous allergy to mammal fat/meat/products. The truth comes out when someone may going into anaphylaxis.

The bun for the el jeffe burger has monoglycerides/di glycerides. Some of the artisan cheese have animal rennet and any dishes made with that cheese.

I'm giving them 4 stars. For taste, service its a 5 but I have taken 1 off for not being truly what they say. They should be described as vegetarian "style" for those healthy lifers out there.
Updated from previous review on Saturday December 20, 2014

Pros: inexpensive , fun, tasty

Cons: not always vegetarian, loud, not fast

bar and good food - Edit

We arrived on a Friday evening and the place was packed. We had to wait for a table, but it wasn't bad as we sat at the bar. I got a Moscow Mule while Dirk got a beer. We ordered the seitan wings as an appetizer, half buffalo and half BBQ. The plate was huge and got us quite stuffed before we even got seated for dinner. We liked the texture, but others may not. For dinner, we got the savory waffle and smoky tempeh salad. Both were very good. I wish we didn't have to specify vegan as they should go all vegan like their sister restaurant Watercourse. Otherwise, a good experience with friendly staff.

Pros: large portions, good drinks

Cons: not all vegan

Looks rough and hard to find, but worth it! - Edit

Easy to miss this place, but when we found it we were pleasantly surprised the inside was not as touch looking. Great food, teas and coffees very nice as well. If you are in the area it is DEFINITELY worth your time!

Fantastic! - Edit

I love this place! Almost everything can be made vegan. I believe all their desserts are vegan. Lots of healthy options and sooooooo delicious! Strong coffee!

Pros: Delicious, Lots Of Choices, Affordable

A lot of vegan options - Edit

I came across City O'City when traveling to Denver. There was a lot of options for vegans. I had the macaroni and broccoli bowl my husband had the BQ plate they were both excellent and we share A soft pretzel and ho ho cupcake for dessert which I hate to say I was a little disappointed by the soft pretzel it was not a soft pretzel at all it was more like a piece of bread shaped like a pretzel. the cup cake was okay just because I have had had other ho ho cup cakes which have been a lot better the icing on top and inside the cake was way too thick and rich. Overall I enjoy eating at City O' City and I would deathly recommend this to a friend.

Pros: A lot of vegan options, All desserts were vegan

Cons: Slow service, Menu could be improved, Location

Best Tofu Evah! - Edit

If you find yourself in Denver, please go and order the tofu platter at City O'City! I asked about the cooking process and they of course press the tofu, then put on a BBQ rub, which they hold on with peanut butter (yay!). Then they grill it and add BBQ sauce. The result is crispy, almost caramelized outside but creamy smooth on the inside: the best tofu I've ever had. Served with vegan mac-n-cheese that's decent, plus collards that are okay. We also loved the pickled sampler appetizer. Drinks are delicious, but the service is quite slow, so go with patience because the food is worth it.

Pros: Yummy food!, Great drinks, Tons of vegan choices

Cons: Slow service, Servers almost seem mad? At everyone?

Great Food! - Edit

We had lunch at City O City and it was delicious! We had Chile Relleno and the Savoury Waffle. Both were good, but the Relleno portion maybe a bit too small (and only 1 small Chile). As a dessert, we had the lemon meringue tart which was so tasty! The desserts are a bit expensive (we payed 7 dollars for the tart), but it is worth it!

Pros: Big choice for vegans , Location

Cons: Dogs are not allowed inside (there was a dog lined

Fun Food and Atmosphere - Edit

Ate at this fun Downtown establishment three times and am looking forward to another round the next time I am in Denver. Cold Filtered Coffee is always good, Seitan Wings - half Buffalo and half BBQ is the way to go, Tortilla Soup was full of flavor, Soft Pretzel was soft, why did I leave Denver without trying more?

Pros: Open Patio, Good Music, All is Tasty

Cons: Parking can be troublesome

Good food, original menu - Edit

I had the tempeh bacon hash with gravy, which was great if a little salty, and the sweet potato cinnamon roll which was good, though not in my top breakfast pastry experiences. There were a lot if great looking things on the menu, I would definitely go back to try more if I were here longer. Service was a little slow, but they were pretty busy. Worth a visit!

Pros: unique menu, good food, nice staff

Cons: service a little slow

awesome place!! - Edit

This place is a mix between a cafe and a resturant. Really nice place!! I had the savory waffle and it was amazing! It was huge and had a vegan cheese sauce that was out of this world. They also have kombucha on tap, but I was not so excited about the flavor.

Trendy, food is OK - Edit

This place is very trendy, loud rock music playing and all the wait staff are heavily tattooed. I think this would be a good place to go for dinner with friends to grab a drink. I went at lunch time. The wait staff was nice, but not always professional. The food was just so-so - not particularly flavorful. I would try it again.

Pros: Cool vibe

Cons: Wait staff not professional, Food wasn't particularly awesome

Food was excellent; service was ok - Edit

I tried this place a couple years ago on a trip to Denver and was not disappointed with my meal. I enjoyed their vegan pizza but the place was so loud I couldn't hear anything my friend was saying while we sat next to each other and our service could have been better.

Pros: Great food

Cons: Noise, Slow service

Soooo Good - Edit

We aye here twice while in Denver and both meals were amazing. For dinner I ordered a vegan pizza which was full of flavor. I also had breakfast here and the vegan waffle with vegan yogurt and fresh fruit is to die for!!!!! Not to mention the service was phenomenal

Pros: Service, Waffle, Atmosphere

Garbage - Edit

When asked on sugar and refining process and on other ingredients like theie natural flavoring used in bakery. The staff was very unfriendly and unknowing of what type of Sugar was used and also in what went into the cakes? The staff at the restaurant is very unwelcoming. They are all putting off a vibe that they are cool or some thing like that? Yes it is a hip place and yes its probably cool to work there, but these staff members are on another level of ridiculous. Many times have i gotten a snub reply on a simple queston like what type of cookie is that? You dont have to be a dick to pour some one a togo coffee either. The place is very over priced in my opinion giving into the its expensive to be vegan. they don't help by charging 7 dollars for the smallest slice of cake you will ever have. This place has good food but the price and the staff are the most biggest turn off. Over 3 for a cookie and 7 for a slice of cake is crazy when you can go to beet box, down the street mind you, and get a real vegan cookie for a buck thats bigger! this place needs to be put in czech. For there only being a few options for vegans in denver this place should really consider laying off the hipster crowd and really promoting to mother earth and a better way of life instead of cashing in on it.

Cons: expensive, staff is lame, wrong intentions

Great Place to Stop - Edit

We stopped for a late lunch on our way to the Vail Valley. I tried the Waffle of the Week which was BLT and it was super good. We liked the food so much that we stopped for breakfast on our way back. Nice choice of scrambles, veggie meats, biscuits, and other breakfast fare. Coffee was good, too. We were impressed and will return every time we can.

Pros: Great food, Many choices, Easy to get to from I 25

I love this place - Edit

I am a former Denver resident contemplating moving back. I discovered this place in July of 2011. Once I found it, I kept going back and back for more and more! Innovative, exciting salads and sandwiches, and the desserts were crazy good. I came back to Denver after the remodel in June of 2012. The remodel / expansion took a bit of the cool vibe away in my opinion, but it still delivered the yummy satisfaction of the previous year. I was overall surprised at the lack of vegan / veg restaurants in Denver / Boulder. This place (not so much their sister restaurant) really hit the spot.

Pros: Everything is good here!, Good un-pushy staff

Cons: Could offer more GF options.

delicious food - Edit

Cool and hip atmosphere. Although that food came about 45min later after ordering, the yummy taste made up for the long wait. This happen on a week night.

Pros: delicious , good prices

Cons: late food arrival

Wonderful Food! - Edit

WOW! The food here was wonderful! It is half bar and half restaurant. They had a great variety of food, and drinks. The food was more relaxed and less fancy then their sister restaurant. The booze was all vegetarian.

I highly recommend the ho-ho like thingies. While there someone bough then out. Thankfully I had already purchased one and it was great!

Pros: excellent food, Friendly Staff, Varied food and drink

Cons: loud, little parking nearby

Deeeeelish! - Edit

City O' City is super duper tasty and super vegan friendly. I wish they were straight up vegan cause they do it SO well but alas they are not. They have an incredible vegan hoho cupcake that will create a crazy addiction so beware! They also have vegan bloody mary's (awesome since many contain worcestershire), beer mosas, grilled or tempura coated shishito peppers and amazing vegan gravvvy!!!! Basically every time we are in Denver we hit this place up. Go there, now!

Pros: lots of vegan options, friendly staff, atmosphere

Cons: usually there is a wait

Went 2 nights in a row! - Edit

Had to go back the second night my hubs and I were in Denver, there were too many options we wanted to try! It was also our anniversary and they gave us a free slice of their oh-my-god-this-is-vegan????-Chocolate Mousse cake. I think their food is delicious, there's plenty on the menu for a vegan to play with, all of their desserts are vegan plus the effort to have lots of gluten-free options is attractive. I wish the drinks were less expensive, but found the food to be reasonably priced.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly waitstaff, All desserts are vegan

Cons: Pricey drinks, Definitely louder in the bar area!

An OK Place - Edit

The food was good. After having been to some "superb" places, this one gets a my highest rating. The staff was pleasant but not exceptional. Between us, we had two different entres for dinner. The linguini dish was heavy handed on black pepper as seasoning and the other was just so, so. The atmosphere is definitely "bar". Dark and noisy. I do like to be able to talk to my dinner partner.

It is worth a try and we will likely go again. A second trip might revise my opinion.

Pros: great tea selections, menu is diverse

Cons: extremely noisy

Fantastic Food and Atmosphere - Edit

The food and atmosphere at City O' City are superb. My wife and I both loved our entrees (Udon Noodles and Kimchi Bowl), and the food and alcohol menus had so many other options that we would have liked to try. We also enjoyed the pleasant urban walk from our hotel to this centrally located restaurant.

However, the host stand began our visit on a sour note, with unfriendly staff that left us waiting for fifteen minutes before offering us the two-top three feet behind their stand that was open when we arrived (in addition to several other available seats).

If you can make it past the host stand without punching someone, you should be very pleased with your experience at City O' City.

Pros: Savory Food, Excellent Beer Selection, Great Atmosphere

Cons: Host and Hostess

Worth Trying - Edit

I wanted to try Ciry O' City for their breakfast selection, as there are many places that offer vegan option for lunch and dinner. I had a vegan 'omelette', and it was good, but in no way resembled an omellete. My son had the Power Waffle and it was delicious. There are a lot of intriguing items on the menu like biscuits and gravy, and I plan to return. The biggest drawback for me was how noisy it is. It was hard to talk with out shouting. All in all, worth trying.

Pros: lots of vegan choices

Cons: noisy!

Pizza Superb - Edit

A family place with great choices for everyone. Our pizza had the freshest mushrooms and spinach with an outstanding mixture of 3 cheeses. The pizza was more than adequate for a party of 4.
The outsides may not look like much but don't let that stop you if you are after the BEST vegan Buffalo wings in Colorado.
The staff was very friendly and quite interested in our needs.
Thank you for a pleasure that was a highpoint of our vacation.

Pros: Great pizza, Wide choice of beverages, Very friendly and efficient staff

Cons: From me - none

Excellent Food! - Edit

City O' City turned out to be a great choice for dinner. It has a casual/relaxed atmosphere but definitely more serious than a "coffee shop." The menu has lots of choices for Veg and Vegans. We tried the BarBQue "wings" made of seitan and they were really good!!! Still trying to figure out how they got the texture so perfect! I love the mac and "cheese" dish...that's what took us there. This restaurant uses some great cheese substitutes. Friendly, professional wait staff and a great list of wines, beers, ales. I would highly recommend!

Pros: Food, Creative, Trendy Ambiance

City OMG City - Edit

There are already a ton of great reviews here, but I loved City O' City so much I wanted to add another. I was in Denver for a week on business, went to CoC one night and loved it so much I went back again the next. The Fritto Misto is awesome (battered & fried mushrooms, broccoli, artichokes! and pickles!!!), and I was also extremely pleased with the Waffle of the Week, which during my visit happened to be a giant savory celery root waffle with a sweet beet reduction sauce and sauteed green onions. Holy cow. I'm still salivating over that waffle. I also ordered some steamed greens and a savory biscuit to take back to my hotel for breakfast the next day -- both quite delicious.

If you are in Denver, you MUST go to City O' City!

The one other thing I will add is that the back half of the restaurant is kind of dark and has more of a bar feel -- if you aren't into that, ask to sit in the front.

Pros: Excellent vegan food, Good value, Lots of Colorado beers

Cons: Back of restaurant is dark, You may have to wait a while for a table

Late night, hit the spot. - Edit

About the only thing worse than looking for vegan food in an unfamiliar city, is to do so late at night. Enter City-o-city. Yes the acoustics are terrible, even at 23.30 it was kind of loud, daytime must be worse. But the food makes up for it.

I had something called "Tofu Schnitzel". They take seasoned, dried tofu and bread it in pretzel crumbs, then pan fry it. The finished product is laid over a bed of seasonal vegetables and seasoned pan fries. Then the sauce... incredible. It tasted like garlic, lemon, butter sauce, which is quite a feat for a vegan place. Not sure how they did it. For me, the mark of a well prepared dish is one where no extra salt or seasoning is needed. This dish was perfect, first bite to last. To add anything to it, would be to ruin it. I loved it, every last bite.

Also ordered a $12 22oz bottle of organic English Hard Cider, a perfect match for a perfect dish.

The ambience is decidely hipster, through and through. But curiosly they were all quite friendly and joyful, not the typical hipster angst and arrogance towards "normals". This applies to both the staff and patrons. No matter how many piercings and tats, everyone was just super nice.

This place has earned a spot in my permanent file of places to eat around the country. Do try it.

Pros: Exquisite flavor, nice people, tasty drink selection

Cons: Parking is bad, kind of loud

Fried Pickle, oh yes! - Edit

Thankful for the small things, living an hour away so I won't be tempted in going there every night. I loved the pizza, the fried pickles, the sweet potato nuggets, the agave mustard, onion rings. Wonderful bakery selection and coffee. This place makes being a vegan in a non-vegan world worth it. I hear they are expanding and that can only be a good thing.

Pros: excellent food, wonderful baked goods

Good place - Edit

This place is good. I recommend the cashew ricotta on any pizza if you are vegan or not vegan for that matter. We live in Denver and come here often. Also a good place if you like good beer and like to hang out and socialize with friends. I also recommend the vegan ceaser salad as well as the buffalo seitan wings with the teriyaki sauce.

Pros: all-vegetarian, several vegan options, good drinks

Cons: sometimes crowded on evenings

Wish we'd tried it sooner - Edit

My SO and I had always wanted to try City O' City but would always just end up going to Watercourse instead. We were recently forced there by neccesity due to Watercourse closing at 9:00pm. We went to a late dinner with another couple visiting from Austin. We were told we had a 45 min wait so we took seats at the bar and ordered drinks. We actually got a table in about 20 minutes. The hip, pub-like atmosphere is amazing! We ordered 2 large vegan caesar salads and a build your own pizza of mushrooms, red onion, pineapple and jalapenos with red sauce and Daiya cheese. It was really good, but I prefer Follow you Heart when it comes to packaged cheese. Daiya is good when it is either cold or very hot and melty but when it starts to cool it can get a gummy texture that sticks to your teeth, imo. Our friends ordered a Margherita; olive oil, roma tomatoes, fresh basil and house made mozzarella, which they loved. They are not veg but they really enjoyed our vegan pizza. I was so glad we had come here instead, I feel like it has a much cooler vibe than Watercourse, which feels like your typical sit down restaurant. I know our friends were impressed. It was very loud but we had no problem conversating once seated at our table. On our way out we picked up 2 cookies, ginger molasses and chocolate chip. Tasty cookies to cap off an amazing meal.

Pros: Excellent Food, Hours, Hip

Cons: Wait time, Parking

Will try again... - Edit

City O' City was definitely much better the second time around. The buffalo seitan wings were the same as their sister location (Watercourse) and they were super good. Per the waitress' recommendation we ordered the Urban Cowgirl pizza - highly NOT recommended by us, it just wasn't good. We also ordered the Animal Lovers pizza - we definitely loved this one!!! We also ordered one pizza with the cashew cheese made in-house and the Daiya brand cheese, the Daiya was better by leaps and bounds. Good restaurant, very hipster, but good overall. We will return.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 11, 2010:
I came here for a midnight snack but it was a little busy so I opted to get a dessert to go instead. The woman behind the counter recommended the cinnamon roll, so that's what I ordered. I was not too happy with the product and just didn't think it tasted good overall. I think this dessert may have been a fluke, as my bf stated he's eaten here a few times and really like it, so I will surely give it another try (and will update my review) during my next visit to Denver.

O' My Hero! - Edit

Speechless. Have you ever had food that was so good that you just sat back and stared in awe at it's fabulocity? Well I did just that with City O' City. I arrived hungry in Denver @10pm on a Sunday evening, & luckily their kitchen is open till midnight. I ordered teriyaki seitan wings, buffalo seitan wings, French fries, Frites Gastriques, Beer-Battered Onion Rings, & Sweet Potato Jalapeño Croquettes. They have a list of sauces from which you may choose. As a BIG lover of sauces (almost & sometimes more than the dish itself) this was an epic win! I chose the chimichurri, garlic lemon aioli, & chipotle mustard sauces. The 2 latter sauces were my absolute favs. SO GOOD!! The buffalo seitan wings are unbelievably slap-somebody good! They will hold their own in any taste test against flesh-death wings. I want to hug whoever created this dish. The perfect coating, texture, & sauce that has kick, but doesn't leave you gasping for water to extinguish the fire. I need this mass-marketed ASAP! And do not pass up those sweet potato jalapeño croquettes. I'm surprised this isn't a normal soul food staple. It's very good! My omnivorous family had the animal lover's pizza w/vegan cheese and they loved it. I called in my order and it was ready when I got there. I cannot wait to catch a sale fare back to Denver; I'm going straight to City O' City!

Pros: BEST BUFFALO WINGS EVER! ANYWHERE!, Awesome array of sauces, Large portions

Sound and fury signifying great vegan eats... - Edit

We agree with the general consensus here: the pizza is great, the vegan bakery items are delectable, and the din is really far too much.

5 ELATED COWS FOR FOOD: The vegan pizzas here include many quite successful inventions, such as a fig and rosemary pie that works surprisingly well. I'm not a fan of any of the packaged vegan cheeses (which they do offer), but fortunately they also have a homemade cashew "ricotta" that is vegan and superlatively good on the pizzas, IMHO. The buffalo seitan is tangy and delicious (and very rich; i can't eat a whole side by myself but it's great in a wrap or shared as an appetizer). The desserts and other baked items (100% vegan) are extraordinary and worth the trip all by themselves if you have a sweet tooth. The place is exceptionally vegan friendly.

4 HAPPY COWS FOR PRICE: We find the prices mostly quite reasonable considering the quality and the portions - especially for the gourmet pizza pies. If you do drinks, appetizers, and desserts, the bill can add up, but the main dishes themselves are generously priced.

3 1/2 CONTENTED COWS WITH LOW BLOOD SUGAR FOR SERVICE: In our experience, the service is very warm and friendly and we always feel especially well cared for by the staff - and that's something we value highly when dining out. The only downside here is that the place is often so packed that it can take a minor eternity for the hard-working servers to make their way around for orders and checks. When they do come around, they're wonderful, and it seems to be improving over the years. We think the place is simply understaffed with delightful people.

1 LONELY COW FOR NOISE: We would love to eat here more often, but the acoustic situation really damages the vibe for us: we can barely hear each other talking and our ears ring for a while after we leave. It's quite unpleasant. Simple solution: turn down the music so people don't have to shout. Even better, go a step further and hang some textiles on the walls to dampen some of the racket. Advice to the noise-sensitive: come during off hours or get take-out.

Pros: Fantastic pizzas and vegan bakery items, Some organic ingredients, Reasonably priced

Cons: Service can be slow when busy, LOUD! LOUD! LOUD!, Parking can be a challenge

Romantic - Edit

Something about visiting this place late at night is romantic. It's also a great place to just hang out with friends. The food was great. The variety of vegan baked goods was excellent and so was the vegan pizza. The salads were huge and we couldn't even finish ours!

Vegetarian Bar- what a concept! - Edit

I visited City O' City by accident. I eat at Watercoarse every time I go to Denver because I love it, so when I had some free time in Denver the other day I plugged Watercoarse into my GPS and it took me to City O' City instead. I guess they are owned by the same people and GPS thinks that COC is Watercoarse. I recognized the name from Happycow though and went in for lunch.

City O' City is a bar first & foremost that just happens to offer only vegetarian food. I think it is a brilliant concept personally, and the menu has a great variety of vegan & vegetarian items. They have recently started offering lots of entrees with items from their own gardens which is also very cool. Bakery items are all vegan. At first I was disappointed that they didn't offer the portabello reuben I love at Watercoarse, but I ordered the daily special and was very satisfied. It was a strawberry spinach salad with beat and nuts and local goat cheese. They grew the spinach and beats in their own garden. It was delicious and huge. I also had one of their pistachio cupcakes- a bit too sweet for me but good. I noticed that they were careful to mention any non-vegan content to everybody that ordered anything with dairy in it. I like places where I can sit at a bar since I travel alone and the staff was very friendly and I really enjoyed my lunch experience. There is no parking, so you have to find street parking- challenging for lunch but probably easy in the evening.

Pros: Super friendly staff, Full bar, Very casual- great for travelers

Cons: Bar-like restrooms, No parking

Meh. - Edit

The service at City 'O' City is usually poor. The atmosphere is too dark and so loud you cannot have a conversation with someone next to you, let alone across the table from you. This is definitely not a family-friendly or kid-friendly eatery. There is often a a poor selection of baked goods even though the restaurant is located next door to the bakery that provides them. If you order your food vegan be sure to emphasize vegan... we have had to wait extraneous amounts of time while our food was remade. Only go to City 'O' City when you have money and time to spare since you will need plenty of both.

Pros: Vegan Friendly

Cons: Poor Service, Too Dark/Too Loud Environment, Food Often Arrives Not As Ordered.

The vegan's answer for a midnight snack - Edit

My Fiance and I visit Denver annually to see some friends and go backpacking in the region. The dangerous thing about this en devour isn't backpacking in the wilderness however, but the fact that our friend's apartment is only a block's walking distance to City O City! This splendid little diner, which is open till 2 am every night except Sundays, (though Sundays are still generously open until midnight) is the perfect little retreat for friends to chill out together over good drinks and some hearty snacking until the wee hours. City O City is a division of Denver's famous vegetarian restaurant Watercourse Foods so it shares the menu of heavenly 100% vegan desserts and other baked goods. City O City is a great source for Vegan pizza with all kinds of yummy and unique toppings and sauces to choose from. City o City is also another source for finding Watercourse Food's highly addictive seitan buffalo wings. While their menu is not complex or extensive by any means it suits the atmosphere of this gritty little place downtown. Comfortable and calming despite its busy commotion late into the night.

Pros: Nice atmosphere to just hang out, Nice late night hours, Tasty eats

Cons: limited menu

For GF or family friendly, try... - Edit

City O City is fun, but reviewers who say it is loud and not for children (or grandparents) are right. You should definitely try City O City but...

If you are looking for a family-friendly pizza place in Denver that offers gluten-free crusts and vegan cheese, you really ought to go to Beau Jos. Basically all of us in Colorado love this place (they make pizzas with whole wheat crusts, and conventional crusts and cows' cheeses as well) but they sweeten the crusts with honey (gluten free one doesn't have honey) so skip it if you don't eat honey.

Another family friendly place is Watercourse, under the same ownership as City O City. There is no pizza here, but the place is bigger, lighter, quieter than City O City and offers 100% veg food that all can be made vegan, as well.

Something both Watercourse and City O City have that others don't is vegan dessert! Cookies are cheap and delicious but you'll have to fork over more for the beautiful cupcakes and cream pies. When the sweet tooth strikes, their desserts are totally satisfying.

(Do not go to City O City when you're in a rush. My husband and I got delicious lattes made with almond and soy milks right away after we ordered, and then waited forever for a check while our servers putzed around the bar talking with regulars.)

Pros: Vegan desserts, Many milk alternatives for coffee, relaxed atmosphere

Cons: not for families, very noisy, staff slow slow slow

YUMMERIFIC!!! :) - Edit

I've been living in Denver for 4 1/2 years and sadly JUST found City O' City! I'm vegetarian recently gone vegan and this MORE then satisfies my taste buds!!! It has a fun bar atmosphere and EVERYONE will love their food! Their Seitan Wings are AMAZING and I will never understand how the ranch that comes with them is vegan, D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!! I'm also a HUGE fan of their La Chagall pizza, you can have it with regular or soy cheese, but I actually prefer is with no cheese! YUM YUM YUM! Don't forget to grab a peanut butter cookie on your way out either!!! HAVE FUN!

Pros: taste bud satisfaction, fun atmosphere, reasonable prices

Nice atmosphere, great selection - Edit

I will have to agree with the other reviews--this is not a family-oriented place, this is definitely a hipster eatery. It is also very loud and crowded--but again, it's meant for people to go and socialize, not sit down for a quiet dinner. It is very dark, but also there are couches and lamps. The entire baked goods section is vegan--and the selection is enormous. I stopped in for a break while walking around downtown Denver and had a gigantic chocolate chip cookie that was almost the size of my face ($2) and a soy latte ($3). For five bucks I had a nice snack and got to warm up inside and check out some of the local scene. Will definitely go back.

Pros: Atmosphere, Baked Goods, Near the museums and vintage boutique

Cons: Crowded, Parking could be a problem

Great food - Edit

For a vegan and a vegetarian making due with Taco Bell and the like on a 48-hour road trip to Denver, finding City O' City a mere four blocks from our hotel was an unbelievable treat. We ate there several times during our stay, and everything was delicious. We had the vegan pepperoni pizza, buffalo wings, one of the wraps and a salad ... and tofu/veg bacon breakfast sandwiches more than once for a quick breakfast. Getting hot, wrapped and ready-to-go vegan food doesn't happen every day! We liked the veg bar/restaurant atmosphere. Food portions were generous, too.

Pros: excellent food, good portions

Cons: music a bit too loud at night

An ode, a lament - Edit

yes, I'm riffing on their own slogan.
City O' is loud, and that's because patrons are yelling over the music. A simple fix, in my eyes. Although I'll never go in rush times again.
Best seat is in the window. You can work (I did on my note book, the spiral kind with paper) the staff eventually sees you. Get their attention when you arrive, this is not a high service atmosphere. But that also mans they'll not hustle you out the door, either.
I'm beyond tired of pizza, but the buffalo seitan wrap is amazing. They have happily swapped coleslaw for ceasar each time.
GT Kombucha is on offer for $4 a bottle.
The scene in the neighborhood overall isn't little-kid friendly. The expectations are that this is more a young adult place.
Parking is metered, so ride a bus to Lincoln and 13th, or train to 16th Street and walk over.
Don't forget the Watercourse bakery items. You can have the cookie. You are walking to the train.

Pros: worlds moste awesome buffalo seitan

Cons: noisy

more toppings - Edit

Service is usually bad, but the pizza is good. The vegan cheese sauce they have is yummy. The toppings on the pizza are pretty skimpy, and the atmosphere can get annoying.

Definetly not kid friendly.

Pros: vegan pizza

Cons: bad service, no parking, loud

Great food, Romantic Atmosphere - Edit

We went on our first trip to Denver. I LOVED the dark romantic decor, and the menu was unreal. We had a vegan pizza with Buffalo ranch dressing, seitan sausage, and tomatoes. The beer selection was impressive to say the least. The menu claimed that all pizzas could be made vegan. Our non-veg friends even loved it. Let me just say that we almost forgot our leftovers in Denver, and we turned around and went back for them...

My mouth is watering just thinking about it...

Pros: awesome food, kind beer, great atmosphere

Cons: no parking

Nothing short of a disappointment - Edit

I wish I could say that City O' City rivals that of its predecessor Water Course Foods. But not only is that not the case, City O' City left us hungry and disgruntled.

We went there on a recommendation that the food was good, and the eagerness to have some vegan gluten-free pizza. Instead, we left with our wallets slightly lighter - having to have paid for parking - but our stomachs still empty. City O' City should be renamed Dreary O' Dreary. It is dark, depressing and bleak. Like attracts like, as the patrons were in much the same condition as the location. If you are going with a family, then you better pack some snacks and be prepared for glares and grumbles if your kids even make a peep. The staff was neutral, venturing on rude. The patrons were huddled in their corners, with their laptops, not wanting to be disturbed. Since this is still a somewhat free country, no one can be condemned for wanting privacy. However, there should be some type of large sign saying "families not welcome." Ultimately, we left, hungry and disheartened: tired of the slow, unwelcoming service, and even more so of the glares from other patrons because our 10 month old daughter was making a few peeps here and there. One person even looked at her as if she should be sentenced to the dungeons for verbally expressing herself. That said, families should look elsewhere.

Cons: dark lighting, not for families, neutral staff

great place - Edit

Try the almond milk latte, tastes like a regular, but you don't have to worry about any dairy. Also, the raspberry and ginger beers are delicious. Didn't try the food, but I'm sure it's excellent.

Pros: friendly staff, great study place

Cons: dark lighting

I love City O' City! - Edit

Best vegan pizza ever! And best vegan ceasar salad too! I wish I had one in my home town, I would eat there every day!

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Return to Denver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has City O' City closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 11421 times since Aug 2007.