City Cakes and Cafe

Contact 801-359-2239

1000 S Main St Unit 100, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, 84101

Vegan bakery and coffeehouse with Wi-Fi and limited seating. The non-vegan items are honey and dairy milk for coffee. Has espresso bar and serves light food like chili, hummus, soup of the day, and sandwiches. Accepts custom cake orders. Est. 2010 and moved here in 2013. Open Mon-Thu 8:00am-6:00pm, Fri-Sat 8:00am-8:00pm, Sun 9:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by chekova

WOW, Best in the City! - Edit

I've been in SLC on business for under 24 hours and been to City Cakes twice already. There are baked goods, gluten-free options, space to sit and dine as well as watch the bakers work on their magical vegan creations.
Mac 'n 'cheese' is awesome with these big spiral noodles and orange sauce.
Vegan sausage and cheezy wrap is in a tortilla with au gratin potatoes and that same tasty bright sauce.
I found meringue cookies here...great texture and flavor.
The tiramisu? Oh, MY!! A creamy, fabulous MUST-TRY surprise of a dessert with all the right proportions and flavors.
I love this place, bet you will, too!

Pros: All vegan!, Wonderful food, Wide selection of sweets

Cons: Sausage wrap seems like something could make mysel

Yummy! - Edit

A cozy place in the middle of nowhere (at least for a non-american not used to the drive-everywhere life). I had their chocolate chip cookie which was good and their brownie that was AMAZING!
They have lots of GF options and some that are not! Really nice staff, lots of cookies and cakes and cupcakes! Loved it!

Pros: Vegan, Mostly GF, Nice staff

Cons: A little bit pricy

favorite! - Edit

i have never had a bad experience at city cakes. the staff are always very welcoming, and the food always delicious. i constantly take city cakes to people who arent vegan, and its an awespme segway into a dialogue about cruelty free eating (:

Pros: huge selection, awesome people, cute yet professional

Cons: can never decide because everythings so good!!!!

Fantastic cakes and more! - Edit

This was a gem found when searching for a dairy free bakery for my toddler's birthday cake. Amazing cakes at beyond reasonable prices for custom work, and all the pastries are to die for. I'm just glad they're not closer to me or I'd weigh 500lbs in no time at all!

Pros: Primarily vegan, dairy allergy safe, great taste,

Cons: Pastries are pricy

best pastries - Edit

I got my birthday cake from here this year and it was amazing. I've also had muffins, cupcakes, and cookies. They made wish I had become Vega sooner! My favorite food there so far is their sausage and scalloped potato wrap, it's delicious.

Pros: Good food, Delicious cakes , Polite people

Cons: My stomach is too small , Not enough money , I don't live next door to it

Sweet people, even sweeter food - Edit

I went to City Cakes yesterday with my dad, as I needed to stock up on vegan breakfast foods while visiting him. The staff was incredibly nice and answered all of my questions about storing/freezing the food. I bought 6 muffins (one of each kind), a loaf of zucchini bread, and a donut. I have yet to try the muffins, but the zucchini bread and the donut were amazing and very flavorful. The cafe also has a cheery and pleasant atmosphere, and you can even look into the bakery through some clear glass. I love this place and I definitely want to go again.

Pros: very nice people, great food, pleasant atmosphere

never dissatisfied - Edit

Wow! Today I tried a chocolate covered macaroon smothered in vanilla soft serve. I'm not in to sweet treats but I'm glad I had it. Always happy with the food and service.

Pros: vegan

Cons: none

I'm jealous that SLC has this place - Edit

This place just plain rocks for baked goods. I saw that they had food, but I never got past desert. Everything is vegan, everything. The reason why this place does not rate as vegan is because, for some unknown reason, they have dairy milk for coffee. I had cupcakes, scones, cookies, and more cupcakes, and they were all exceptionally well done and very fresh and tasty. They had a large amount of gluten free items, too. I have to say, this is one of the best vegan bakeries that I have been to. SLC is very lucky to have this place.

Pros: 99.99% Vegan, Very good bakery, Lots of options

Superlative - Edit

Let me add another voice to the chorus of appreciation for this place. It's really a very good bakery that anyone (veg*n or otherwise) would appreciate, but the fact that most of what they offer is vegan is, well, frosting on the cake. And many gluten-free options, too.

Excellent quality of taste and texture.

The cinnamon rolls are fantastic.

Pros: Excellent quality of taste and texture, all baked goods are vegan

The vegan bakery! - Edit

This place is a super legit vegan bakery with delicious gluten free options as well. We were only stopping by on a short layover and wished we would have grabbed more! The zucchini bread was amazing, the pb bar was incredible and the cookies we had were equally as delicious! Come and open one in Chicago, or maybe not... Too dangerous!

Pros: Vegan, Gluten free, Delicious

Wow, wow, and YUM - Edit

City Cakes haunts my dreams... so delicious. I can't even believe it. I'm vegan and gluten free and it's not easy to find so many options that are this delicious. No weird chalky, gluten free tastes - just yummy baked goods. I got a loaf of the fresh zucchini bread and ate the whole thing in one evening. I also love the ginger snaps and the peanut & chocolate bars. The staff is really helpful and knowledgeable, and they are very accommodating with food restrictions. I can't say enough good things about City Cakes!

Yum yum into my tum! - Edit

Oooh yeah, this place is awesome!

The tiramisu tastes nothing like tiramisu - it tastes like something a lot better. It's super thick and if you don't tune out you can actually feel the heart attack material spreading through your veins. Highly recommended!

The marzipan slice also tasted nothing like marzipan - but it also tasted like something a lot better. And better than marzipan is quite a claim.

The cheeze sauce poured over the savoury scone was so good that it almost caused a fight in the car as I and my wife were sharing it.

And the various other sweets kept the kids quiet in the backseat for a long time.

Verdict? Do it!

Pros: All vegan, Lots of choice, Tastes great!!

Fantastic desserts, coffee and Macaroni! - Edit

Everything here was fantastic! The desserts and vegan mac&cheese were delicious! I had a great experience and the customer service was great as well. :) Would recommend to anyone!

Pros: Great food , Great drinks, Great staff

Cons: Wish they had more vegan meals

Best Vegan Bakery In SLC - Edit

I used to be a big fan of Cakewalk until I found out about CityCakes. I think they are the best vegan bakery in Utah. I love just about everything from their donuts to their tiramisu. Their baked good are outstanding, they also have some nice food options like Mac and cheese, which are pretty good etc.

Pros: Big, Outstanding, Fantastic Service

Cons: Little Pricey, Addicitive!

Great baked goods! - Edit

We stop here EVERY time we're in Salt Lake City. Staff is always friendly and knowledgable about there menu and bakery counter. It's not often you can have a vegan CINNAMON ROLL. Even our non vegan friends salivate over these baked items. TOP NOTCH - get here... You'll love it.

Pros: Great baked goods, Dairy free CINNAMON ROLLS!, Cafe too

Cons: Not one in Las Vegas

Loved It! - Edit

I stopped by here for lunch about a week ago. Staff was friendly and helpful. They were out of some of their best cupcakes, according to the lady helping me but I wouldn't have known because the one I tried was delicious! I also had the veggie sausage burrito (vegan as was the cupcake) and it really hit the spot. Prices were affordable. There are tables to sit and eat, surf the net, sip coffee, and watch the bakery do its magic. I'm definitely going here again. Oh, and they have gluten free items as well, if you need that. Cakes looked delicious!

Pros: Staff, Food, Prices

Best vegan bakery I've been to yet - Edit

Caveat: I didn't stop in at Cakewalk while I was in Salt Lake, so I don't know where I stand in that war.

However, I travel a lot and always make a point to stop in the local vegan bakeries, and I have to say, City Cakes takes the cake. My travel buddy and I ordered a ton of stuff for the road, and not only was it super affordable, but it was mostly delicious. My favorite item was the tiramisu -- best vegan tiramisu I've tried yet. I also really liked the au gratin potatoes and the mac and cheese. I don't recommend the red velvet cupcakes (we had the gluten free version). It was just like a vanilla cupcake dyed red, which is not what red velvet is supposed to be. Also the gluten free bread is too sweet and a little dry and crumbly. Overall, though, I LOVE this place and the staff were super friendly and helpful as we filled a huge bag with goodies to go.

Return to Salt Lake City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has City Cakes and Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.