CLOSED: City Bar

• Veg-friendly

Contact +44-1902-423376

2/3 King Street, Wolverhampton, West Midlands, Wolverhampton, England, WV11ST

Serves meat, vegan options available. Wolverhampton has no purely veg*n places. This place has a relaxed cafe/bar atmosphere with a varied clientele from those having coffee and reading a book to those taking a three course meal. Has several vegetarian, vegan, gluten free options. See website for details. Reported closed to HappyCow.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by exeterphil

Far Better Than Average Pub Grub - Edit

A wide-ranging & imaginative bar menu for lunch & evening dining, caters well for veg*ns. See their website for full details. Vegan cheese, 'bacon', ice-cream, custard, cream & honey-alternative available. Hearty portions & good value.

We were impressed by such a large menu choice, with many items able to be adapted for vegans. Mains - we chose a vegan lasagne (made with vegan cheese), which came with chips & salad, and the Golabki (homemade Polish speciality -- vegetables, rice, mushrooms & onions seasoned then wrapped in a sweet cabbage leaf and oven cooked, served in a creamy tomato sauce, with potato wedges & salad). Both were tasty & enjoyable.

From the long list of desserts, which also included cakes & pancakes, we opted for apple crumble & ice-cream and rhubarb crumble & custard. I was slightly disappointed by the latter, as I found a little too much crumble to the filling, but it was still nice.

Although the closing time for food was 9pm, we realised we were the last to leave at around 8.30pm & they closed up behind us, so ensure you arrive in good time, especially off-season (we visited a Tues eve in mid May).

Pros: Huge Menu Choice, Vegan Cheese Available, Good Value

Cons: May Close Early If Not Busy

Unexpected Haven - Edit

I've been working in Wolverhampton since February 2009 and am always looking for veg*n friendly places to eat - wherever I work. I found the City Bar by accident one lunch time having seen the word 'vegan' on their advertising board. The City Bar is in the heart of the city centre and serves a range of wines, beers (inc Beck's which I understand to be vegetarian but not vegan), soft drinks, teas, coffees. The food offerings are varied with many vegetarian and vegan options. One of the owners knew exactly what I meant when I referred to veg*n wine/beer. This isn't fine dining but the food is fresh, wholesome and priced competitively.

The City Bar is a place where I can feel comfortable to have a meal and a drink or just call in for coffee and read the newspaper for a late afternoon break.

A few weeks ago I found myself eating there as a poetry reading group had their meeting - it's almost Mediterranean...

Pros: Good value, Friendly Staff, Good food

Cons: Runs out of Becks' too often!

Return to Wolverhampton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: City Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 459 times since May 2009.