CLOSED: Circadian Rhythm

• Vegetarian

Contact 034749994

72 St Andrew Street (at George Street), Dunedin, New Zealand,

Vegetarian buffet restaurant, juice bar, and in-house bakery. The extended menu includes vegan dishes, has organic wine. Veg-owned and takes EFTPOS. Live music some Friday evenings. DEC 2015 REPORTED SHUT BY TRUSTED MEMBER.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Organic, Western, Buffet, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by mkpurvis

It's okay, I guess - Edit

This place has a nice vibe normally, but I have quite often had bad/rude service. The food is alright but not great, however it is pretty affordable and there is a decent selection of vegan stuff which is a plus.

Pros: Variety of veg stuff, Good value

Cons: Rude staff

Great vegan and alternative diet options - Edit

These guys are great. Best option to cater for a wide range of diets in Dunedin, and delicious with it! Lots of vegan, vegetarian, dairy and gluten free options. Range of ethnic styles represented (although they definitely do Indian best). Very reasonably priced (you can get a meal for under $10 still).

I really wish they could stock rice milk or similar so I can have yummy smoothies, and would make more dairy-free deserts.

Pros: healthy, good food, reasonably priced

Cons: too much soy, group gets meals at wildly diff. times

WOW! Best vegan cafe in NZ - Edit

Everything on the menu is vegan (except for a couple of burfi sweets with dairy in them, but they are marked). Everything I have tasted there has been delicious and very reasonably priced. They have a huge selection (4 page long menu) with coffees, juice, smoothies, chai, heaps of biscuits and cakes, a buffet selection, pizza, savoury scones, curries, salads, pasta, samosas, wraps, sandwiches...all vegan and all delicious! And they also offer gluten-free options for most things on the menu. Oh, and did I mention that everything is organic? Plus they have a sound system and do live music on Fridays. :)

Pros: great atmosphere, healthy, delicious

Fully vegan!! - Edit

I love going to this place - mainly because everything on the menu is vegan! It's the only place in Dunedin like it! The food is yum, i am yet to try the buffet... dead keen :p
I always make the mistake of ordering a soy latte, which is a mistake i hope to never make again. Enough said.
Overall a lovely cafe well worth going to, vegan or not!

Pros: Pricing is reasonable, everything on the menu is vegan, yum!

Cons: Soy latte...

Ummm... well, it was vegan - Edit

I can see why students love this place, and if I lived in Dunedin and had few options, I'd go there too. But let's be honest, the food I had did not compare well to other places. My soup was watery, and samosa bland. Most of the other food did not inspire me. Perhaps the off-the-menu options which I did not have time for were better, but nothing here - aside from the friendly people and fair pricing - made me want to return. Even my smoothy was lumpy.

Pros: fair pricing

Good food - Edit

Mostly vegan, but a few vegetarian items on the menu. Mains include corn fritter stack, tofu-veg stir-fry with rice or noodles, Indian curries, pizza, organic vegan wine and beer . Wright's white and red wines and Hawkhurst Estate red: Green Man beers. "Tummy Tempters" (appetizers) include pakoras, spring rolls, samosas, filo roll with roast pumpkin, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, corn, served with tamarind sauce. I had a $11 fritter stack, $9 bottle beer, $12 tofu-veg stir-fry with rice. They also have a hummus plate, many other good-sounding items, soymilk smoothies, juices, Fair Trade Cuban coffee, breakfast tofu scramble. Most items available gluten-free. Also desserts.

Pros: flavourful food, good service

Cons: closed Sundays

Delicious Breakfast - Edit

My husband and I had an impromptu road trip to Dunedin this week to watch the sun rise one morning and found Circadian Rhythm when we were looking for a place for breakfast.

They opened late - 9am, but they were nice enough to let us come inside and take a seat while we waited for them to set up (it was freezing outside!).

The coffees were excellent (fair trade, organic) we both had soy lattes and they were great. For breakfast we had the Tofu Scramble which was soooooo great! It was served with lettuce, tomatoes and ciabatta bread and it was delicious. A great serving size too, I couldn't finish mine and we were both full well into the afternoon.

We really wanted to come back for lunch and try the Pakoras but we were just to full to even consider it. The owners were really friendly and lovely as well.

I just wish this cafe was in Queenstown so I could go there all the time!!!

Pros: Great Value, Excellent Food, Friendly Staff

Cons: Dunedin is 4 hrs away!

Love these guys! - Edit

I go here nearly every two weeks and the food, atmosphere and staff are always great. I haven't tried the all-you-can-eat buffet as yet, but the pakoras with tamarind sauce (6 for $3.50) are always fresh and delicious, and the mango lassi is to die for. They also have lots of gluten-free baked goodies. The food prices are very affordable and they offer a range of fair trade coffee, teas and alcoholic drinks as well. Highly recommended!

Pros: great food, friendly staff

Affordable and yum! - Edit

Circadian Rhythm is a great little restaurant. Very casual and child-friendly, their food is delicious, affordable, and the serves and generous. In particular, our whole family loves their pakoras - gluten-free, vegan and yummy!

Service is generally fast and efficient, and we've never known them to make an error with ordering. If you want hot food super-fast, go for the all-you-can-eat vegan buffet - it's basically a thali, it's always ready on the hot stove, and you can fill up very cheaply.

We've been regulars at Circadian Rhythm ever since moving to Dunedin, have recommended it to friends and family, and know that it is popular with veggies and non-veggies alike.

Pros: Fast, Vegan options, Gluten-free options

Cons: Only one high chair, Sometimes not enough tables, so busy!

Return to Dunedin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Circadian Rhythm closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2696 times since Aug 2007.