First Review by iTom

Liked it a lot - Edit

Arrived shortly before closing and they were still happy to seat us, friendly and accomodating rather than begrudgingly. Liked everything we ordered, especially the dessert, and were happy with the choices of vegetarian options.

Pros: Great taste , Number of veggie options , Friendly staff

Cons: Expensive

When we want nice food in a nice place... - Edit

We used to go to Pad Thai in Fairlawn, but that place is terrible now. We tried Cilantro and it was like the clouds parting and angels descending. It was like God was rubbing my tummy.

But seriously, the food is outstanding. Make a reservation or you'll be sitting a while waiting (sometimes, especially Sundays). The location is a former bank that strangely was the epicenter of the early 80s Akron Punk/New Wave scene. You'd never know it.

Get the Mock Duck Curry. It's delicious. I'd give this place a 6 cows rating for that dish alone, but they do serve animals.

Pros: Excellent vegan food options, generous portions, nice atmosphere

Cons: parking, slightly pricey, sometimes long waits for tables

Lots of vegetarian options! - Edit

The service is wonderful. Great menu. Veggie items are hit or miss. The veggie tempura with dipping sauce was just okay. But the Mock Duck Curry is to die for...SO GOOD! They are vegetarian friendly and the food tastes fresh and healthy. So definitely worth checking out!

Pros: Great service, Good food

GREAT VEGAN OPTIONS, A must try!! - Edit

Server was from Thailand and very informative on the menu. For the first time in a long time we found a server that understood what vegan was!!
He was Vegetarian!
We had the Mock Duck Thai basil and the Tofu Rama! Both were amazing and incredibly flavorful!
It felt like we had a very gourmet meal!
Sizable portions priced appropriately for what you get! A must try if you're vegan or vegetarian and visiting Akron!
We spoke with the owner and we are very impressed with his professionalism, everyone there was very nice

Pros: great vegan food, vegan desert as well

Cons: none

Weird Server, sushi not creative - Edit

I've been here a few times and for some reason have had the same super weird waiter each time. He's mid 20s with dark hair, and this dude thinks he is hilarious or something. He tries to joke and is downright offensive, and when I ask about veg ingredients, he's completely clueless. I don't trust him at all to know what's in the food. We have literally stood outside the window and looked to see if he was working, because he is intolerable.

On to the food. The mock duck is amazing. The Thai food is amazing. But they are severely lacking in the sushi department. And I have gone there because I miss good sushi since moving to this area. They don't have creative veggie sushi rolls, and at every other sushi place in my life, I have been able to create a roll that's not on the menu. Oh, you have tempura veggies? Oh, you have rice? Put them together and make me a tempura roll. Works everywhere put here. I have been told by creepy waiter AND the manager that they can't make special rolls. Sooooo....I don't understand why this is so hard. But I guess they will have to understand why I won't be back. It's not that hard.

In all, food is pretty good, but all the BS surrounding it makes this a pretty unenjoyable experience.

Pros: Mock duck, Good Thai food, Good taste

Cons: Creepy weirdo server, Unimaginative sushi rolls, Won't make rolls not on menu

The mock duck curry is wonderful. Worth going out of your way.

Big beautiful restaurant (formerly a massive bank) & great staff.

Fabulous cocktails, too. Their pear vodka & lychee sake Martini is one of the best tipples I've had anywhere in the world!

Pros: Serves mock duck!, Great vegan options, Lovely place

Cons: Might have to pay for parking or walk

Great Vegan/Veggie spot - Edit

A great spot for vegetarians and vegans alike. I had been assured by the staff that the curry offered here is vegan and they do not use oyster sauce, which is commonly found in Thai cooking. The will substitute meats for tofu or you can just get vegetables. I always get the vegetable massaman curry and it is delicious!The staff is always happy to answer any questions you may have and will help you the best that they can to make your experience there a good one. I highly recommend this place.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, chic

Good Thai Food - Edit

I took a couple of people here during a business trip and everyone enjoyed it. Many vegetarian options on the menu and they can substitute tofu for meat in many dishes. The papaya salad was very good and they actually made it as spicy as requested, so beware! It was too spicy for one person.

I had a tofu stir fry with basil for the entree and enjoyed it too. Generous amounts of food - no one had room for dessert. The atmosphere is kind of upscale casual - definitely more formal than a lot of Thai places but no problem to go in shorts and a t-shirt.

Good, quick, friendly service. If I'm in Akron again I'll certainly consider going here.

Pros: Many Veg Options, Good Service

Return to Akron Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cilantro closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3037 times since May 2010.