Ci Yan Vegetarian Health Food

Contact 62259026

8 Smith St, Central Singapore, Singapore, 058971

The menu comprise a brown rice set and around 5 other main dishes that change daily, usually Chinese or Western, plus a soup of the day. Call ahead if you'd to know what's offered.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Western, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by wengkit

Not Vegan Friendly - Edit

We enjoyed our time here, but can't help but note their inability to cater to vegans.

The older gentleman that helps run the place insists every dish is animal product free. One of our dishes came with a big piece of cheese on it when he had confirmed there was no dairy in any of their dishes. This happened with a total of 2 of the 3 dishes we ordered.

We appreciate his enthusiasm, but honestly it's just too hard to get a straight answer out of him for what we can eat there as a vegan.

We'd consider returning if the menu clearly marked what was vegan or if the staff answered more honestly.

Pros: Nice Feel, Unique Menu, Tasty Food

Cons: Doesn't understand veganism, Oversells products, Can't trust what they say.

2 Responses

Kiwi Wannabe I completely agree dairy products are not necessary. It's been a while since I've been there, but yes. Unfortunately his ?son? confirmed that there was cheese on two of our dishes. (You could clearly see it and he confirmed it was a dairy-based cheese)

This is a great place, I'd just make sure you know what you're getting first. (Not from the older ?Father? that works there, as unfortunately he seems more interested in pleasing customers than providing accurate information)

I LOVE the changing menu - Edit

Yeah, it kinda sucks that if you fall in love with a certain dish, you won't know when you'll be able to eat it again, but that's all part of the fun. Most of the dishes are really solid overall, so you're good no matter when you come. Of course, you can always call in advance if you like, much I much prefer to be surprised :) the portions are a little small so I almost always eat 2 meals, but the food is healthy and tasty. Easily one of my favourite veg restaurants.

Small Homey Restaurant - Edit

Map position is wrong (should be at the other end of Smith st).
Place is small and the atmosphere is nice and very relaxed.
Very small menu changing daily so experience may vary.
No ovo, lacto or onion so it may be limited for some less strict eaters.
Overall worth it as not many veggie options in the area.
12sgd for soup, brown rice set of the day and a drink.

Pros: Friendly

Cons: Limited Choices

Fells like home - Edit

One of the best experiences while visiting Singapore. Very small "restaurant" with yummy food. The owner will treat you exceptionally making sure you are enjoying your meal. You can basically feel like entering someone's home as rest of family watch soap operas. I loved it.

Good local place - Edit

It was very busy when we came here for lunch, with a mix of locals and foreigners. The owner was there and an expat helped us decipher the 3 options we had as they weren't described on the board! I can't remember exactly what we had but I do remember enjoying it, and big portions!
We bought a glass of home-made juice and it was delicious,worth the $2 for sure. There weren't any muffins on offer which was a shame, but we'll certainly go back when we're next in SG :)

Pros: friendly owner, big portions

Great value and unique! - Edit

We ate here for dinner and, in the end, were very happy! I scoped the place out in the afternoon after reading the other positive reviews on HappyCow and, yes, it is a small menu and very small capacity but this just adds to it's charm.
Don't come here to expect 5 star service or any maître d' greeting you and pulling out your chair! The owner curtly asked us to hold on while he served other customers when we first arrived, and then, as he walked back to the kitchen, asked us what we wanted! Think the Seinfeld "Soup Kitchen" chef with a genuine heart of gold and love for vegetarian food.
I had the tempeh "Hamburger" which was excellent and my girlfriend had a brown rice and vegetable dish which was a bit bland but okay. We also had the vegan muffins for dessert which were freshly baked and delicious!
At $18.50 for our combined meals and drink this is definitely excellent value and I'd highly recommend it to anyone wanting a genuinely unique lunch or dinner. It was like a friends dad cooking up some great vegetarian food while literally watching tv soap operas with his family in a nicely decorated home!

Pros: Unparalleled Value for Money , Great Burgers, Friendly and genuine people

Cons: The service could be more welcoming

Decent cheap lunch option - Edit

Popped in for lunch- there were only 4 options available: cold almond tofu, cold noodles, vegetable spaghetti and a brown rice set.I settled for the spaghetti. It was chaotically busy, but once I finally managed to order, the food came quickly. As is often the case in Asia with ordering western dishes, it was spaghetti jim, but not as we know it. It was more like a tomato and carrot soup with spaghetti floating in it. I have to admit I was wary at the sight of it, but it was suprisingly good. It was a very big portion, and at s$6.50 for meal and a drink, I had no complaints. Recommended for a cheap lunch eat- seemed to be shut when I went past at dinner time.

Pros: Cheap, Good location, Big portions

Cons: Limited menu, Very busy

Best Vegetarian Restaurant in SIngapore - Edit

This restaurant should be named the best Vegetarian in Singapore! I have tried many different restaurants, and still i am left wanting to return to Ci Yan Vegetarian. The food is cheap, unbelievably delicious, the menu changes every day - so there is no way you can get bored of it. Completely Vegetarian, MSG free, one of the very few places to serve brown rice and wholewheat noodles. They also sell vegan cookies. Yum!!!
The owners are very sweet and deserve this title!!!
Call 6225 9026 to hear todays menu (voice recording)

Pros: Menu always changing, 100%healthy .. Not oily or deep fried, Friendly staff

Cons: Not having the wraps available everyday

the best option in chinatown - Edit

i was lucky enough to stop in while the brown rice nasi lemak was on the menu. its a very labor intensive meal, and i was told it is only offered every two months! everything about it was delicious. especially pleasing in asian vegan food was the fact that it was not oily, in fact the several items comprising the dish seemed to be cooked with little to no oil at all.
also offered and sampled was the excellent black walnut vegan muffin. well worth the 2.50 cost. i also had a delicious local brewed bottled bamboo leaf drink. total cost of my meal, 9 singapore dollars. an amazing value for hand made food anywhere in the world.
since im only here a few days, ill be sure to check in each day for either lunch or dinner. living out of a hotel can be hellish, but not with such quality food at hand. truly home made.
healthfood and vegetarian bars, aminos etc available in a sort of a health food store as well.

Pros: super friendly owner and son., indoor or outdoor seating

Cons: located on a very busy "food" street, people have issues with the sliding door

Cold Noodles - Edit

Their menu changes daily and you may have to wait a while to enjoy a 2nd time the delicacy you like.
Their Cold noodles is splendid, tasty and great for a warm weather. Strongly recommend to try if you are lucky to visit the shop when it is on the menu of the day...

healthy food - Edit

I would say this is a good lunch option.
Set meal was about sg$5. i had the noodle option, which tasted really good, and really healthy.
The man who owns it is worth the money alone, as he is so nice and welcoming.

Pros: good value, nice staff, healthy

Cons: limited menu

great cheap organic in chinatown - Edit

daily menu : 1 brown rice set (vegeis different everyday), one noodle dish & one dessert. The dishes changes everyday. Rojak is good usually on Sat. Burger is delicious,the patty is made of chickpeas amongst other things, usually on mon, wed, fri. tried the green curry noodle once really good

Pros: excellent food, excellent value , organic

Return to Central Singapore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ci Yan Vegetarian Health Food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4018 times since Aug 2007.