Chutneys

201-222-9909

827 Newark Ave, Jersey City, New Jersey, USA, 07306

Est. 2014 an Indian vegetarian restaurant serving daily lunch and dinner. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:30am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out, Catering

First Review by slo0go

caters to vegans and Jains! - Edit

Chutneys is a wonderful addition to the authentic restaurants of Newark Avenue. It is all vegetarian, but has a separate vegan/kosher menu AND a Jain menu. Most recently, we got the Gobi 65 appetizer for $8.49, I think. It was a large plate of fried, well spiced cauliflower. To me it tastes like buffalo cauliflower. So good! The coconut and tamarind sauces that accompanied it were rich and tasty.

For an entree, I got a dosa and my husband got the bindi masala. He loved the curry, which, unlike other bindi masalas I've had, has a tomato and onion base with some okra in it. I'm used to the dish being much more okra heavy but this was very good. A little salty and oily but very flavorful.

I'm used to getting dosas down the street at Sapthagiri, where you can order a dosa with potato filling and idly or vada for $8.99. I got a pesarattu dosa, which I had never seen at the other restaurant. Pesarattu apparently has spinach, cumin, and other flavors. It was very good, but I was disappointed that there was no filling. It cost $7.99 and I finished it very quickly. There were four condiments that accompanied my dosa: sambar, coconut, spicy tomato, and something that seemed like cream of wheat. The tomato and sambar were my favorite.

For dosas, I'll stick to Sapthagiri or Dosa Hut, which both have a much greater variety of dosa. I will definitely come back to try more of what Chutneys has to offer, though!

Pros: inexpensive , authentic Indian

Cons: go elsewhere for dosa maybe

Return to Jersey City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chutneys closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.