Chong Hui Vegetarian

54 Anju St, Da'an District, Taipei, Taiwan

崇慧素食 translates roughly to "worship wisdom vegetarian food." It's a low-key cafeteria-style eatery that opens to the street with communal seating. Offers meal plates with your choice of 4 sides, a protein, and soup. The four sides include white or multigrain rice and a variety of simply-cooked vegetables. Top that with your choice of gluten or faux meat patty. Note that the faux meat used is not vegan (dairy). Soup is self-served.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Take-out, Taiwanese

First Review by nausicaa

Go-to Spot - Edit

I've developed a real relationship with this place. It's my neighborhood Vegetarian Buffet, and my go-to spot for, you know, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

For 60 nt, you really can't beat the price - standard food, 5-grain or white rice, choice of sides, meat, and soup. Often I find Vegetarian Buffet food to be too oily and over-cooked, but they keep it light and crunchy. They change things up every day, so there are plenty of options, and a good variety.

I'm vegan, so I just stay away from the fake meat - which I believe contains animal products. The owner is very trusting, and I've never experienced a problem with cross-contamination in any of the vegetable or tofu sides.

Not a fancy meal out by any chance - but a great place to grab some take out, have a satisfying, and cheap meal!

Pros: Good Value, Great for Take-Out, Friendly Staff

Cons: Uses animal products in the fake meats

Great for a quick simple veg meal - Edit

We chanced upon this eatery when looking for another one that had closed down, and were very pleased with the options. There were 4 of us, we were tired of searching and hungry, and they were able to feed us quickly and healthfully. To make it easy they simply made 4 plates of multigrain rice, random veggies, and a fake meat patty on top at NT$60 each, and we just picked a plate. The sides were lightly cooked (not too much oil) and lightly seasoned. When we were there the options were leafy greens, broccoli, cabbage, squash, and tofu dishes like ma-po tofu and sauteed pressed tofu slices. The protein choices were various fake meat patties including fake fish; stewed gluten or tofu-sheets were vegan options. They also have a self-served broth which is warm and refreshing. We returned again, and the sides and protein choices do rotate. We also noticed the second time that the sides were not warm; this is a simple place to grab a simple meal for a simple price if you happen to be in the area. There is one big communal table and a series of smaller tables; the tables have holes for hotpot, so dunno if they have special hotpot events.

Pros: healthful, cheap, quick

Cons: food may not be hot, if you want fancy, this is not it

Return to Taipei Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chong Hui Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.