CLOSED: Ching Tsuen Tse Chuan - Spring Mediterranean

• Vegetarian

Contact 02-23584210

23, Lane 12, Qingtian Rd, Da'an District, Taipei, Taiwan,

青春之泉, at 台北市大安區青田街12巷23號‎, is also known as Spring Mediterranean. Vegetarian restaurant and cafe a block from Shida (NTNU) Mandarin Training Centre. Enter from Lane 141, Sec. 1, Heping East Road (just one street). Set in a house with a front patio. Offers a small menu which includes western dishes like pasta, pumpkin soup, organic bread, plus Taiwanse dishes like curry and stir fry. Set meals or a la carte (NT 200+/-). Items can be made vegan upon request. A specialty is their hand-made organic tofu dessert. REPORTED CLOSED, JUNE 2016. Call for hours - tell us.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Taiwanese

First Review by savagen

Will not visit again - Edit

Though the staff and the cook were fairly nice, the food quality and the environment didn't match their asking price.

The air flow indoor was stagnant. The decoration and the seat ordering looked rather disorganzied. The angel hair dish I ordered were too mushy, and the taste was plain. All the vegetables in my dish were all very mushy. The texture of the bread was kind of bread-machine-made. I visited there for a family gathering, and none of us like their dishes.

We did wonder if they have a new cook and that's the reason the quality was not up to par. But the cook (and also the owner) was the regular one.

I think for their asking price, there are a lot of better choices in Taipei.

Pros: organic

Cons: Expensive, low quality

Mixed feelings - Edit

Was here on a past trip to Taiwan, and here's my Spring Mediterranean review for happycow.

Upon entrance, I sensed stagnant energy. The tables and chairs in the front patio were randomly placed, and one side of the inside space seemed rather disorganized. Just seemed like they were not finished with setting up the restaurant...? The menu seemed okay, short but varied, not cheap but I guess that's Taipei prices. Some things contain dairy.

My husband had decided to go elsewhere, but I was able to eat a bowl of their organic tofu dessert (which was soft and tasty) before leaving. The man in charge of the kitchen was very kind.

Pros: handmade tofu dessert

Spring Restaurant - Edit

I have been to Spring Mediterranean twice.

The second time I went was after the remodeling. There is now a patio for outside dining.

For me, a 29 year old vegetarian student at ShiDa this is a great place to eat when I feel like having a good healthy (low fat and not too oily!) meal at a restaurant. They bake their own multi-grain bread, and make their own tofu.

So far I've had the curry rice, which was a pretty solid dish, good flavor and I appreciated that the vegetables were cooked to the right texture. The presentation of the food and atmosphere is also nice, so I plan on taking my girlfriend here for a romantic meal together.

For your first time there, I'd say pretty much any curry or pasta dish is a good bet, and for dessert, get the "Xian Cao" 仙草 (xian1 cao3).

The vibe of the place is unique - it feels like your eating in the owner's house, there's a piano, opera music usually playing, sometimes live music and the kitchen is visible from where I was sitting.

Now that they have reopened, I would probably continue to go there about once a week.

Pros: Healthy, Piano, Low Price

Good bang for your buck - Edit

This is my second time to this restaurant.

The restaurant has a sign out the front that says 'vegetarian' in English. It is right on the corner - did not have any problems to find it. Windows were pink, place was homely. There was a CD player playing opera type music and a microscope on a side table next to it, a fax on the other side. A few Thai/Indian statues and paintings.

Menu is in English. Average meal is around $200. There are about 6 or 7 main dishes. Rice, Rice with curry, nodles, noodles with tomato sauce, noodles with another type of sauce... We opted for the most expensive set meal which was $480. This included tea, , bread, pumpkin soup, yogurt fruit, asparagus/potato salad with mayonnaise and a vegetable curry rice dish (came out in that order). The pumpkin soup was a little bland, the organic bread was nice, the asparagus and potato salad was nice but order it with thhe mayonnaise on the side (too much) ! veggie rice dish was made with brown rice and I was pleased to see lots of vegetables such as beans, mushrooms, zucchini and lots more. The food was way too much to eat. Overall summary - friendly people, homely, good bang for your buck for a cheap quick bite.

I'd go back and get the curry rice and then the yogurt for a dessert.

Pros: Cheap, Friendly Staff

Cons: Limited Menu

Return to Taipei Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Ching Tsuen Tse Chuan - Spring Mediterranean closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1768 times since Feb 2008.