China Moon

570-341-0300

1031 S Washington Ave, Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA, 18505

Serves meat, vegan options available. Primarily meat-based menu but has a vegetable section and several mock meats labeled "imitation" food. Portions are generous. Also offers the usual Chinese tofu and vegetable dishes. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-10:30pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-11:30pm, Sun 12:00pm-10:30pm.

Category: Ovo, Chinese, Non-veg

First Review by elles_belles

Great food, dirty restaurant - Edit

My stepmother and I stopped in Scranton for dinner on our way from Virginia to Massachusetts. We found China Moon on Happy Cow and thought it would be a good choice. (My stepmom is not vegan.) GPS guided us to a rundown part of town, and we were surprised to see that the restaurant was just a hole-in-the-wall takeout joint with two tables. We were immediately put off when we entered the restaurant, but we were hungry--so we decided to try it. (As you can see, Scranton is not a vegan Mecca. There are a couple of veg restaurants, but they were closed.)

The pros are that there is faux chicken, the food was yummy, prices are reasonable, and the portions were plentiful. In addition, they didn't mind making an off-menu dish for me: chow fun with vegan chicken.

The cons are that the place is dirty: dingy, greasy curtains that look like they were last washed in the 90s, tabletops with spilled food and greasy streaks, and a dirty floor; and that no one was particularly friendly--either with us or any other customers who came in while we were there.

I can only imagine what it's like to run a small food business in Scranton. The economy is in bad shape (just ask Joe Biden). And tiny Chinese restaurants are generally run with a very slim profit margin. I can deal with less-than-stellar service (after all, I'm from NYC), but the uncleanliness was really disconcerting. I ate about half my meal and took the rest to go.

I wish I could give a higher rating, but the dirt took at least one star away. I hope they can get those curtains to the laundry soon!

Pros: yummy, large portions, reasonable prices

Cons: dirt

fake meats! - Edit

Our vegan family of four stopped in Scranton on the way home from Farm Sanctuary. China Moon was one of the few spots offering veg food that was open on a Sunday. It's a little take out place with a few tables, nothing fancy. We had the vegetarian chicken with broccoli which was pretty good. We also had the vegetarian General Tso's, which was fantastic. The two large sized orders and a few vegetable rolls were enough to feed our whole family. Definitely worth a stop if you're in the area.

Love this place! - Edit

The portions are huge for the price. I usually order the General Tso's mock chicken. There are two sizes. The largest size is impossible not to take home. The smaller order takes up half the plate and the other half is filled with white rice. I've taken that home for leftovers before as well though.
I've also tried the sesame noodles which were delicious. I really like their spring rolls.

Return to Scranton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has China Moon closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.