Chile Rojo

Calle Principal, Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica

Serves meat, vegan options available. Laid back setting. Reported menu offers vegetarian choices and regularly vegan specials like vegan sushi. Call ahead to let them know if you are vegan and making a reservation.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Asian, Caribbean, Fusion, Costa Rican, Non-veg

First Review by Ash-lea

lots of vegan options - Edit

This place had numerous vegan options you just have to ask.

We shared the sushi special which included salad rolls, a sushi platter and a vegan mango sorbet for dessert. The cost for all three items was 7500 colones which is similar to other restaurants in Puerto Viejo. The sushi was amazing and included ingredients such as plantain and mango. It took a long time to be served as there was only one person making the sushi.

My daughter had the Thai coconut soup. The portion was huge! She could only finish half of it. She said it was delicious.

We also shared the veggie platter which came with hummus, pita, tabouleh, a samosa, and falafel. The falafel was perfectly spiced and the hummus fresh.

The total bill with a couple drinks came to 40,000 colones for 5 people.

The service was slow, there was a dog in the open air restaurant and some customers weren't wearing shoes- but such is life in Puerto Viejo.

Pros: lots of vegan items

Cons: slow service

Not really worth it... - Edit

I had high hopes for this place after seeing a big wooden "Vegan Friendly" sign on the wall.

I ordered the one vegan option offered of sushi, it was delicious and freshly made in front of me.

Then, I ordered a Thai satay salad with tofu. It came out with grilled chicken on top, I nicely reminded the waitress that I had actually asked for tofu. About 5 seconds later the dish came out again with chopped up tofu on top instead of the chicken.... Obviously this was the same salad, no effort had been put in to make a fresh one.

My partner ate the salad for me, I didn't want it to be a waste of food.

This place is also really expensive. I'll come back for that same sushi roll though... A girl needs a sushi hot while travelling.

Pros: Fresh and delicious sushi

Cons: Not many vegan options, Overpriced, Service is lacking

Return to Puerto Viejo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chile Rojo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.