Chen Vegetarian House

610-374-2288

709 Penn Ave, West Reading, Pennsylvania, USA, 19611

Est. 2014, this is a vegetarian Chinese restaurant that also offers Thai food, faux meat sandwiches, smoothies and fresh juices. Daily bargain lunch specials. Small place on a busy street. Just a few tables for seating. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Thai, Juice bar, Take-out, Asian

First Review by George Hayduke

Lots Of Options - Edit

The menu was extensive and everything was vegan. The service was fast and friendly. I had the sweet and sour chicken with strawberry mangos smoothie and my husband had the orange beef. We both really enjoyed our dinner. Plus it was in an area of Reading with cute little shops that we had never seen before. We will go back when we're in the Reading area for sure.

Updated from previous review on 2014-03-22

Pros: Lots Of Options, Fast Service, Neat Area To Explore

Best Chinese Food - Edit

My family loves Chen. Unfortunately we live an hour away but every time we are in reading we stop here! The food is fresh, service is friendly, prices are great. Its a small place but dont let that fool you! Every item I have gotten has always been good. Some better than others but I would eat anything on the menu lol. It is my daughters favorite restaurant.

Pros: Good Service, Fresh Food, Good prices

Cons: Parking can be a little tough on busy times

All around amazing! - Edit

The lady behind the counter was friendly and knew a whole lot about the food and vegans!
The spring rolls were pretty good, and the mango chicken was really great, but the Malaysian Pancakes were to die for!
I loved it, great prices, great food, helpful staff, this place was perfect!

Pros: great food, helpful staff, great value

Great Find in Reading, PA - Edit

I was in the area to take a continuing Ed course and just happened to drive by. Excellent food with an extensive menu. The staff is friendly and it is easy to order online.

I have been there five times and have never been disappointed. I now have a bias toward taking courses in Reading because of Chen's.

amazing food - Edit

I have traveled all over the country. And this is by far some of the best Chinese I have had. It's amazing. The sesame chicken was delicious and prepared better than the real buffet style that I used to eat

Awesome Vegan Food - Edit

This is the only all-vegan restaurant in West Reading and the surrounding area. The food is excellent, the service is great, and it is so fun to have your pick of anything on the menu. Particular favorites are the "chicken" and mixed vegetables, the "pork" fried rice, and the dumpling soup. Kids love the "chicken" nuggets and fries. It's a great place to take non-vegans/vegetarians, as well. Several reviewers note the small space... in nice weather, you can take food to the park that is just a few blocks away. The dining area has also never been full when I've been there as most people seem to use it for takeout.

Pros: Great variety, Friendly staff, Reasonable prices

Cons: Small dining area

Chen Vegetarian House - Edit

Excellent vegan choices with great Chinese flavors. A small storefront with 4 tables. Food made to order and fresh & delicious.

Pros: Great food, Vegan choices, Fresh

Cons: small amount of seating, parking can be a challenge

What A Find!! - Edit

What a treat to find this little place where the food is tasty, and the service is so polite!

Pros: Affordable, Quaint, Delicious

Cons: Limited Seating

Finally - A Vegetarian Restaurant in Reading - Edit

Chen features Oriental cuisine which is all 'meatless'. All of the Animal named dishes are made from non-meat sources. I paid about $10 for Pepper Seitan with Broccoli and Mushrooms. It came with choice of white or brown rice - a good sized bowl. As with all Oriental dishes we received two meals. The staff was super friendly and the atmosphere was very nice.

Pros: Good Value, Good Food, Friendly Staff

Cons: Parking - The town's issue.

nice! - Edit

I have eaten here a few times and it is the best option in Reading. Have yet to have anything that wasn't great. Portions are fairly large, be prepared to take home leftovers, esp if you get an appetizer. Defiantly recommend over any other place in the area. only down side, it is small. Haven't had an issue with getting a table yet but when reading veg's realize that this place exists you might need to call ahead for takeout.

Pros: inexpensive, friendly, good food

Cons: small, too good, so full

Return to West Reading Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chen Vegetarian House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.