Chef Sara's Raw Vegan Academy and Cafe

Contact 480-760-3387

6602 E Cave Creek Rd, Cave Creek, Arizona, USA, 85331

Fully raw, gluten-free, soy-free, nightshade-free, nut-free cafe surrounded by mountains, cactus, and hiking trails, 30-minute drive from Phoenix airport. Open Mon 12:00pm-8:00pm, Thu-Sun 12:00pm-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Fusion

First Review by MerrillKay

so amazing, I had to get a duplicate order to go! - Edit

First is the beautiful setting with precious indoor and outdoor seating. From the moment we arrived Chef Jose was all smiles and welcoming. He explained the entire menu and was wonderfully patient even though we took forever to decide. Everything looked that good! Chef Sara prepared our entrees and was so enthusiastic and feels passionate about what she does. The meals are so innovative and flavorful--and the presentation is beautiful!
We got 2 apps, the burger and ravioli. My husband loved his burger (yay! Since he's not into raw as much as I am). My ravioli was so delicious, that I actually ordered another to take on the plane home! We just finished 2 desserts and are taking 3 to go. Who knows when we can get back again?

Pros: unique flavors & nice portion size, awesome staff & owner, precious seating areas

Cons: none

Fantastic fresh raw cuisine. - Edit

We have now been living in Phoenix for about 3 years, and finally got out to Chef Sara's in Cave Creek, and the long wait was worth it.

As long-term vegans, we aren't really into eating fried vegan food, or prepackaged vegan meat products accompanied with some actual cooking, and to our delight, none of that was present on the menu.

What we did get was a wonderful raw meal starting with the Rawgasmic Sandwich, this was fantastic. My partner and I ate it up instantly, and would have shared another one easily. The gluten-free raw vegan bread they make is wonderful, and the combination of seasonings and fresh ingredients including sprouts, bell peppers, zucchini, etc...worked very well in this dish.

We also ordered two cold teas, not sweetened, I had the ginger tea and it was fantastic, the perfect brew for a warm October day.

Then we shared a serving of the Ravioli meal, stuffed with pesto and spinach in young coconut crepes, these were also fantastic. I can't pick a winner, between the Ravioli and Rawgasmic Sandwich, try or share both when you go.

After that we shared the Happy Cow Burger, 3 on pumpernickel bread and 3 on onion bread. We did 3 served Italian style and 3 served Mediterranean style. These were similar to the Rawgasmic Sandwich, but I enjoyed the seasonings and ingredients used in the Rawgasmic Sandwich more, and enjoyed the Italian style more. I did love the pumpernickel and onion breads, they were also fantastic.

We took home some desserts, wasn't thrilled with the desserts, I think there are others in the Phoenix metro-area doing better tasting desserts at the moment, but if you enjoy raw, healthy, slightly sweetened desserts, then you'll be pleased.

Outside of the great food, Chef Sara herself is a great host, wonderful energy, full of knowledge and passion, and the restaurant is located in Cave Creek. A very beautiful town, nestled among hills and small mountains. The outdoor patio in the back of Chef's Sara is a wonderful place to enjoy the view on a nice day.

Pros: Great raw real vegan food, Great atmosphere, Good variety

Cons: Desserts aren't my favorite, Could be pricey for some

Chef's Passion Shines' - Edit

Chef Sara's passion for helping people to embrace a healthy lifestyle is expressed through her delicious preparation and beautiful presentation of her broad vegan menu choices. What a jewel of a restaurant! The portions are generous, the food is local, fresh and delicious and the atmosphere permeates good energy. The time she spends preparing EVERYTHING from scratch is apparent from the first bite. In all my travels, I have never tasted such wonderfully prepared food. From appetizer to dessert, you will not be disappointed!

Pros: Stellar food/amazing chef, Great energy with positive vibe, Generous portions

Cons: Closed Tuesdays & Wednesdays

very good but not great? - Edit

I really liked the atmosphere of this academy and cafe. I was very excited for my first raw restaurant experience. Obviously I was expecting the food to be expensive, but for the price I paid I would've preferred the meal to be great not just very good. I ordered the pizza and wasn't wow-ed. I think the ravioli and lasagna are better. I was also disappointed with the cheesecake - they use coconut (instead of cashews) and the texture was off, even after letting it thaw (as the waiter recommended). It didn't taste like lavender either - the flavor we ordered. It also kind of stinks that you are given this huge, magnificent menu and then a lot of items aren't available. It makes sense, since raw gourmet food requires a lot of work, but then maybe they should have a daily menu instead.

Pros: healthy, quality, good atmosphere, good info, staff

Cons: expensive, lacks wow for $

AMAZING! - Edit

I can't put into words how amazing my first time was eating here! I will definitely be back and cannot wait to take a cooking course to learn all of Sara's wonderful recipes! She is full of so much knowledge and is such a shining light of joy! You will definitely not leave disappointed!

Chef Saras Raw Vegan Academy and Cafe, health and flavor... what more can you ask? - Edit

Chef Sara is the real deal. Had huge health concerns including but not limited to: Total loss of my senses of smell and taste, unimaginable production of mucus on a constant basis, dyslexia and much more! Chef Sara suggested a total detox and presented me with a list of ailments and complaints and asked me to circle the appropriate maladies. I had quite a few items circled which she said her detox program would fix within two weeks or less. I must here and now make testimony and state that within 14 days on her detox program 90-95% of my complaints were completely gone AND by 21 days in addition to 100% recovery, I noticed that some life long problems I had given up on and was not seeking help with, also improved with some eliminated entirely!! Please keep up the good work Chef Sara. We all need you and your wonderful world of raw vegan foods. You are a shining example of living the raw life daily.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention her recipes are fantastic and (she has several books and supplies) the food Chef Sara serves at her Raw Vegan Academy & Cafe is outstanding!

Pros: Super healthy foods, Super tasty foods , Beautiful presentation

Cons: Can't get there often enough

Fantastic! - Edit

I discovered Chef Sara's when visiting Cave Creek area for the first time. The menu is extensive and Chef explained the specific offerings for the day. The menu is also interesting to read, particularly the health risks of certain foods. The foods was exceptional! I had the Raw Gasmic Sandwich with "pumpernickel" bread and side of English peas. Perfectly prepared with complex and well combined flavors. This restaurant is in my top favorites in the Phoenix area. It is worth traveling to enjoy the menu!

Pros: Raw and vegan, Taste / flavors, Presentation / freshness of food

Cons: Relative only: convenient location

great food warm reception - Edit

As soon as we walked in we were greeted warmly by chef Sara. What a sweet lady. She takes the time to explain everything on the menu. The food was great and the atmosphere was inspiring. A must go for vegans and raw vegans alike.

Incredible and Amazing!!! - Edit

I have eaten here twice in the past few weeks. The food is amazing, fills you up, and is so healthy. It doesn't taste like raw food. It's some of the best food I have ever eaten. Even my 14 year old granddaughter loves it!. Sara is amazing! She is brilliant, knowledgeable, and so willing to share her knowledge with all her guests. If you're interested in learning about delicious, fabulous raw food and aren't afraid to experiment a bit, you absolutely must eat here!

Pros: Raw, Delicious, Sara is amazing!

AMAZING & FRESH!!! - Edit

I just tried Chef Sara Raw Vegan Academy & Cafe today. The food, service, and atmosphere can be summed up in one word. Phenomenal! When you come in the door, chef Sara gives you a hardy "hello, and welcome!" She's behind the counter preparing food, but finds time to give each customer personal attention. Chef Sara really makes you feel welcomed. I tried the almond hummus, ravioli, and for dessert I had the tiramisu. Everything was fantastic and full of flavor. Even if you're not vegan or vegetarian, this is a must-try. I'll definitely be back for seconds.

Pros: Super Friendly Staff, Calming Vibe, Fresh Food

Young Coconut Crepe Wrap was a wonderful lunch! - Edit

I had never been to Sara's Raw Vegan Academy and Cafe, but had been meaning to try it for the past year! It's a little off the beaten path - tucked behind another business (Big Bronco), but very worth the hunt. At another patron's suggestion, I tried the Young Coconut Crepe Wrap, and loved how deliciously fresh everything tasted. Also tried the tiramisu - and although vegan and raw, it was even more delicious that any other I'd ever tried! I will definitely be going back! (They are closed for July and August this summer, though.)

Pros: Chef Sara's personality, Fresh, healthy cuisine, Variety of items

Cons: A little on the expensive side

excellent - Edit

my husband and I decided to give this a try for lunch and we're glad we did. The atmosphere is very relaxed and the food fresh, flavorful and beautifully presented. I would highly recommend.

Pros: healthy food, tasty food, wonderful presentation

Great Food! - Edit

We ate here for the first time recently and loved the food. Chef Sara takes time to visit with her patrons, which is always nice. The pizza was my favorite dish, my husband loved the ravioli. And we all LOVED the desserts! :)

Pros: healthy, Delicious, Friendly staff

AMAZING HEALING FOOD! - Edit

As someone who does research in nutrition I was blown away by the quality of each ingredient carefully selected by Chef Sara. The raw, organic dishes are a feast for all the senses. Great value for the quality of ingredients used. It is truly a treat to enjoy such delicious food with so many healing properties. Thank you Sara for the love, research and care that goes into preparation of you beautiful food!
Lucie Marlo, Ph.D

Pros: Healthy, Great value, Great Interior

Exceptionally tasty (and healthy) food! - Edit

Chef Sara is a true master at the art of creating mouth watering
meals. Her cafe offers 100% organic raw vegan dishes that are
also free from gluten, soy, peanuts, cashews and refined sugar.
Every bite explodes with flavor! You must try her famous
Rawgazmic sandwich and her tiramisu. Ooooh and the key lime pie is simply divine! I can't wait to go back!

It's a perfect place for a date or a group meetup. Chef Sara will welcome you with open arms! She's the best!!!

Updated from previous review on Monday March 28, 2011

Pros: Raw vegan & organic, Healthy, Spotless restaurant

Best Veggie Wraps - Edit

Chef Sara's Root Vegetable Wraps are the best in the state. They are remarkably filling, tasty and nutritious. Chef Sara has a unique ability to combine flavors that will have you begging for more.
Kathleen Ames
Valley of the Sun, The Farmers Market Cookbook

Pros: Excellent fook

Return to Cave Creek Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chef Sara's Raw Vegan Academy and Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.