Chaya Macrobiotics - Isetan Shinjuku

• Veg-friendly
Contact 03-33570014

Isetan Department Store, Main Building 7F, 3-14-1 Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Upscale macrobiotic restaurant serving organic dishes. Menu is around 60% fish and 40% vegan food. Nice atmosphere. Typical lunch menu with an entry, main course, dessert, and drink is around Y2200. Part of the Chaya restaurants operation (also in USA). Address in Japanese: 東京都新宿区新宿3-14-1

Category: Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Organic, Take-out, Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by matcha

Overpriced and not that good. - Edit

We had two dishes here, the falafel (for around 2,000) and a vegetable starter (for around 1,000). Both were tiny. The falafel was tasty, but not nearly as good as many others and the vegetable thing was a little weird. For half the price it would be ok, but skip this one. Very few vegan options

Cons: small portions, few vegan options

My Favorite! - Edit

This is one of my top restaurants in Tokyo, I really can't say enough about it. The food is amazing, the atmosphere is nice without being too fancy, and the wait staff is impeccable.

I've eaten here multiple times as well as at their other two locations and I've never had a bad experience. You can either order from the menu or do one of their course dinners if you want to have a nice night out.

The only non-vegan items on their menu are fish (since it's a macrobiotic place).

If you're looking for a place with American- or European-type food with a Japanese flair, look no further! They also have some nice packaged snacks and treats that you can buy for the road.

This particular location is a short walk from the Shinjuku station and would be a good choice for a night out or special dinner.

Pros: Great food, Amazing desserts, Great selection

Love it here - Edit

I've been here 4 times now and always have a veggie dinner set. Never disappoints. vegetables are especially tasty. expensive but delicious. One of my favourite afternoon pursuits in Shinjuku is a good trail around the Isetan home dept then dinner here. I look forward to it every year.

Pros: Great food, Staff friendly, Great ingredients

Cons: A bit pricey, Can be busy

Good for dinner and ice cream! - Edit

We've had a dinner at this place in the evening. We took vegetable dinner menu set. The cost was around 30 dollars so quite pricey. It included a starter, soup, main dish and a drink. The starter was delicious, the rest very good. Definitely, they can cook vegetarian food. We also tried vegan sesame and matcha ice creams which were amazing!!! We took a cake for take away as well. It was quite good but I had impression that not so healthy (I think they put white flour in). Overall, great experience but definitely too expensive for us to do every day.

Fantastic Vegan Gelato - Edit

Oh boy....can't say enough about this place because of the gelato. Located on the top floor of the Isetan Dept. store. Take the elevator up and go to your left when you exit the elevator and it's right there, across from the public restrooms.

They make and package their own vegan soy gelato in matcha, sesame, and vanilla (and maybe chocolate). We had MANY containers during our trip of the the matcha flavor which is one of my favorite flavors. Best matcha flavored gelato/ice cream/sorbet ever! Sesame was also fantastic (didn't try vanilla or choc). Both had a very clean flavor. We also ate a few desserts here, all of which were and are vegan. I do not speak Japanese fluently but was able to ask in Japanese to confirm gelato and desserts are all vegan and I saved the gelato containers and had my Japanese friend translate the ingredients - yes vegan.

Ok, now that I'm done with my gelato advertisement, the place was nice and we found the staff friendly. They do speak some English (depends on person). I do speak some Japanese so we had no issues. At this location we only had desserts. The have an Englishy menu (some basic English names for item but descriptions in English lacking) that wasn't super appealing to us. They also sell all vegan baked goods like cookies, caramel banana bread, earl grey madeleines, etc. all vegan. I bought a bunch of them (expensive). They also sell some macrobiotic foods like organic brown koshihikari rice (brown sticky rice), salt and seasonings, barley malt syrup, etc. Baked good were fine, not great compared to say NYC, but great for Tokyo and I was very happy to have them. Isetan Dept. store basement food hall, where this is located, is fantastic so make sure you go there too!

We also went to the Chaya in Hibiya Chanter center near Hibiya Koen/park in the basement (near the Godzilla (aka Gojira) statue for those of you whose husband needs to see it, it is conveniently located right outside of the center) where we got food. Lunch was yummy and a little more of a casual menu than the Isetan location. We got a vegan Soy Nugget and Avocado Panino and a vegan daily macro plate type dish. Both were good but the Pannino was really good. In addition to also selling the dessert and baked goods, they also had a bunch of salads in the case at this location.

Pros: BEST Soy Gelato, Matcha Gelatao, Sesame Gelato

Cons: Containers of gelato Japanese sized : (

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chaya Macrobiotics - Isetan Shinjuku closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5198 times since Feb 2010.