Chapter One

+44-161-2780405

Lever St, Manchester, England, M1 1BY

Serves meat, vegan options available. A book shop and café currently serving drinks and some vegan and gluten free cakes made by vegan baker Offbeat Cakes. August 2017 reported no longer selling pancakes; under new management who will be increasing the menu.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, British, Non-veg

First Review by Veganolive1

Great Space But Nothing Special for Vegans - Edit

I really like Chapter One but not really for the vegan options. If I were reviewing it on a different site I'd probably be giving it more stars.

I had pancakes some time ago and they were nice but not better than I could do myself. There's usually a couple of vegan cakes/brownies but rarely one I want.

It is a bit of the expensive side though they will happily re-fill your tea pot with more water which makes it better value. But it's a lovely space and great that it's now open late as an alternative to going to a bar. The staff are friendly.

The coffee is average and there's several better coffees near by.

But it is one of my favourite places to chill with friends or do some work. It's quiet and spacious enough which is rare in the area, a lot of cafes are always packed or play music annoyingly loud. You never feel like you have over stayed your welcome.

I wouldn't go out of your way for it on the basis of it's vegan options though. I go elsewhere when cake or great coffee is what I'm after.

Only doing cakes right now - ignore the menu on the website - Edit

There are a few cakes on offer that are vegan, they look perfectly good. Their website has a menu that suggests they do a wider range of food, but they're "not doing it anymore". Which is up to them of course, but they should take the menu off the website. Cute space though.

Pros: cute space, cakes

Cons: inaccurate menu on website

Gorgeous Vegan & Gluten Free Cakes - Edit

I have walked past Chapter One numerous times but knew that Offbeat Cakes had started suppling their vegan and gluten free cakes.

Chapter One is an oasis of calm, I was kicking myself I had not visited before, it was so relaxing and chilled and I found a great table with large comfy armchairs in the window.   There are books for purchase, an area to the rear to recharge your mobile or computer, with people working away, what a great find.

I ordered a camomile tea, which came in a cute glass teapot, made with camomile flowers, not just a teabag and an Easter egg cupcake.

It was the best pot of camomile tea, due to it being freshly brewed with flowers and the cupcake was lush chocolatey and with a little marzipan egg on top, absolutely spot on.   There were other vegan cakes available which I think change daily.

Pros: Vegan cakes, Glutenfree vegan cakes

Return to Manchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chapter One closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.