Chaostheorie

• Friend
Contact 03054890734

Schliemannstraße 15, Berlin, Germany, 10437

Vegan cafe and cocktail bar est. 2013 and moved to this bigger space in 2016. Offers sandwiches, filled toast and croissant (ham and cheese, hot dog style, meat balls, chocolate), nachos, chilli sin carne, chilli cheese fries, quiche with salad, cakes and cookies. Thursday evening döner kebap. Drinks lists include coffee, tea, shakes, soft drinks, cocktails with or without alcohol, beer and wine. Open Mon-Fri 4:00pm-12:00am, Sat-Sun 11:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan, American, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery, Catering, European

First Review by Arif

Delicious cocktails and cake! - Edit

We really enjoyed the cocktails here, some of the best we have ever had! Would recommend the 'creamy' ones.
Also some really nice cakes available, a cool photo booth and nice atmosphere - plus really friendly bar man. :)

Pros: Great cocktails, Photo booth

Easily my fav place in Berlin - Edit

This is a great place to drink some nice beers or cocktails while indulging yourself with their amazing vegan food. It ranges from nachos with cheese-sauce to burgers to amazing cakes. Also be sure to visit their toilet (really, quite the experience). Also, the staff is really nice

Pros: Coctails, Food, Toilet

Incredible unicorn place - Edit

Our friend from Berlin brought us there and it was our the best experience in Berlin. Food is such tasty and beautiful and atmosphere is such magic that I cant wait to come back there.
Must have: make pic in photo booth and put 1 stripe to wall and try vegan hot white chocolate with whipped cream and marshmallows

Pros: Food is unbelievable , Photobooth, Glitter disco unicorn bathroom

Cons: Far from downtown and transports

Delicious food, strong cocktails - Edit

I love Chaostheorie! They do a wide range of cocktails, all vegan. I especially love their alcoholic milkshakes, even though I'm a bit of a light-weight so never need more than one.

Once I was having a tequila sour with a friend and we had to order nachos (sooo good and naughty) and a cake to soak up some of the alcohol. The waitress was super nice and let us sample a non-alcoholic version of one of the milkshakes, even though it was clear we weren't having any more at this point.

Even if you're only coming for drinks and not food, Chaostheorie has a nice vibe. I love the photoautomat and the unicorns in the bathrooms.

Pros: delicious food, strong drinks, great vibe and lovely staff

Cons: limited choice on the food menu

Great experience - Edit

We went to our first vegan cocktail bar ! It was amazing, we had 2 cocktails with "meat" ball & cheeze sandwich and a chili sin carne on fries with cheeze sauce : OMG !!! the best vegan junk food ever :-) The staff is so friendly and the atmosphere is chill, we ended up talking with other people there. I will definitely go back there on my next trip !

Pros: food, atmosphere, staff

Cool place - Edit

They no longer have specials for food all week. They only have the Monday burger special and the donar on thursdays. We went for the schnitzel but they no longer serve it. They have a huge drinks menu though with lots of cocktail options and the drinks were very strong. The vibe was good and the staff was super friendly! We ordered fries with homemade "cheese" sauce to have with our drinks, and they were delicious! The "cheese" sauce was really good. We did not try the donar special but apparently it is their most popular, and when we saw other people order it, it looked massive! (also very tasty looking) Would highly recommend this place!

Pros: Good atmosphere/good music, friendly staff, giant drinks menu

Cons: Limited food options

simply w-o-w!! - Edit

This place is my favourite in Berlin. The atmosphere is amazing, so cosy and alternative, the staff is beyond friendly and happy and helpful, the food is very extraordinary and more than delicious! Try the nougat coffee, snickers milkshake and the burger in Monday. so so yummy! I love it there!

Great Breakfast, Great Cocktails - Edit

We were there twice, once for Breakfast - Hot Doggy Croissant is delicious. And once in the evening for some more delicious vegan cream-cocktails.Very friendly service.Moved to new location with much more space, but not so good to reach anymore. Cocktails stayed as good.

Vegan paradise! Food is out of this world! deliciousness!!! - Edit

The atmosphere was fantastic! The food was simply gorgeous! we had breakfast and love it so much that went back the following day for dinner! This place is must to visit if you are in Berlin! I definitely recommend it and look forward to go back!

Amazing bar,food,vibe,staff,decor.. - Edit

I loved this place!!! The food was awsome, the vibe was great, the music well chosen, the staff very nice. I highly recommend.

Pros: Vegan, delicious, with luck you can get a free sho

Cons: The kitchen closes early

Delicious booze & cake! - Edit

Chaostheorie is a 100% vegan cocktailbar. They have a huge selection of cocktails (every single one we’ve tried was amazing!) plus they have cake! We tried the cocoa coconut cake and chai cake and they were so soft and fluffy! Yumm! The staff was exceptionally friendly. :) If you’re looking for a nice and uncomplicated place for an after-work drink, this is it!

Full review on: http://www.elephantasticvegan.com/vegan-berlin-germany/

Pros: inexpensive, delicious cakes, friendly staff

Cons: might be hard to get a seat on weekends

Amazing Chili - Edit

Chaostheorie is a small place in a beautiful neighborhood with delicious foods and drinks. I had the best chili of my life and an extremely good apple cider for reasonable prices. All in all, definitely one of my favorites!

Pros: Beautiful area, Delicious stuff

Love it! - Edit

I really love the concept of a vegan bar! The staff is so nice, and they've got great drinks! It's cosy, and it's located in a nice street with other veg options to eat. BUT if you didn't know, Chaos sell the pastries from Ohlala (French Vegan Café in F'shain) like the Tresor, and other cakes... YUMMY!!!
EDIT: GO FOR THE NACHOS!!!

Updated from previous review on 2014-09-10

Pros: location, nice staff, great drinks and desserts

Cons: a bit small

Joyful place - Edit

It is a real pity that I didn't have more time to spend here. Would have loved to hang around drinking some non alcoholic beverages for a while. Unfortunately I was only having a macchiato, which was good, and my companions had Irish Coffee and Hot Chocolate with marshmallows and whipped cream. Staff was nice and spoke good English. I also liked the atmosphere. I would propably give it five stars if I had more time to eat and drink.

Pros: Wholly vegan place, Nice staff, Nice atmosphere

Fat and drunk is their motto, and it's so good - Edit

Most fun I've had eating all the things in Berlin. Started off asking for a whiskey vegan milkshake, because from the epic booze menu, this seemed like the kind of place that could do such a thing. And the bartender did. SO GOOD. Thursday nights donor kabob was filling and delicious as well. Their bread is the perfect toasted and soft kind. It was too filling to eat the wafer pie too, so I got it to go because a regular from Austin said I had to. Mmmm breakfast. Super fun and kind staff that seem to have a real community going. Go here!

My all time favourite restaurant/cafe/bar - Edit

I don't live in Germany but I went to Chaostheorie twice and it is without a doubt the best place I've ever dined out. The mood, music, lighting, deco, food and staff make it the perfect spot. I recommend the white hot chocolate which tastes just like Milkybar...

Good, Unhealthy Options! - Edit

We had croissant sandwiches here and really enjoyed them. The croissants were flaky and perfect, and the meatballs and cheese filling was good and flavoursome. My only complaint was that it was smothered in sauce - if you like your food a little less saucy, mention it when you order. It looks more like a bar than a restaurant, it's very casual. The outdoor seating was nice. There was quite an extensive drinks menu too, so if you're looking to make an evening of it, this is the perfect place.

Pros: Very good croissants.

If you ever get bored of healthy vegan food... - Edit

Here's your place. My boyfriend and I both ordered the Berlin Bastard BBQ Burger which is a tofu 'steak' EXPLODING with BBQ sauce in a big bun served with a side of nachos generously drizzled with melted vegan cheese and well... aside from dodging squirts of BBQ sauce which threatened to soil our clothes and the feeling of my arteries clogging up slightly we both very much enjoyed! It is perhaps something best enjoyed once in a while rather than a regular thing!
My personal highlights included surprise disco in the toilet and the truly heavenly nectar of the gods Snicka (chocolate and peanut butter) milkshake... to which I still enjoy in my fondest dreams.

Pros: Guilt-trippingly tasty food and MILKSHAKES, Spacko the dog, Party time in the Toilette

Cons: Good for your tastebuds but nothing else

One of my favourite places in Berlin - Edit

I don't know how I've not reviewed ChaosTheorie yet, it's easily one of my favourite places in Berlin. And now it's moved to much larger premises, it's even easier to get a seat! (Seriously, the old location was so popular it could be difficult to even get inside sometimes.)

I'm a huge fan of their savoury filled croissants (and the sweet ones too, come to that) and their Chaos Kaffee – which is a large capuccino with crispy caramelised sugar melted on top, like in a crème brûlée.

But they also have themed food evenings (the fries and schnitzel on a Wednesday is probably my favourite) and a traditional German Weißwurstfrühstuck (white sausage breakfast) on a Saturday.

Make a visit to Chaostheorie a high priority if you're visiting Berlin.

Pros: Lovely food, Relaxed atmosphere, Chaos kaffee!

Croissantwich! - Edit

I never get to have croissants! I got the Chaos croissantwich with salami and chz and chili sauce and it came with nacho sauce and nacho sauce. It didn't come with a lot chz sauce. Next time I would ask for extra. I had a Fritz Lemonade soda too. It was yummy of course. It cost 4,90 euro. I think.

Pros: croissants, cheap, a bar too

5 - Edit

we've been here at donerstag with german friend who said it's the best place for doner in berlin. she called place before and booked table for us so we hadn't to wait for it. place was small and crowdly but you cannot feel the typical doner smell - that's good. place is better to get drunk than eat but i have to say that doner we had was really big and good. also we took some non alco drinks and they were tasty. lady from stuff was lil bit too offended but i know the feel of working in loud place. and the bathroom! almost forgot! it's amazing and if you're not taking pictures of yourself inside you're such a loser!

Pros: pretty bathroom, tasty food, not expensive

best vegan cafe in Berlin - Edit

I've been in Berlin for less than two weeks and come here almost everyday. It is, in my opinion, the best vegan cafe in Berlin, or the very least in Prenzlauer Berg.

Small but comfortable, amazing bathroom (you'll see what I mean), lovely (bilingual) staff, great soundtrack, punky vibe and decent wifi (not quite strong enough for videos but enough for Skype).

The food is delicious - I've tried the savoury and sweet croissants (both recommended) and the doner kebab served on Thursday evenings (huge but delicious). They also stock vegan cakes from Oh La La bakery and elsewhere which is great as Oh La la is amazons but all the way in Freidrichshein so this is a good compromise.

Their hot drinks are nice and they have a big alcoholic selection too. Super laid back about you buying a drink and sitting around for a while. Highly recommended.

Pros: food, staff are lovely, reliable wifi

Cons: a bit pricier than other places... but worth it

You must try the Chaos Kaffee - Edit

Went here last spring, it's a small and vibrant place with a punky vibe to it. Had some sandwiches which were pretty tasty but the item that had my wife and I obsessing over and telling everyone about it was the Chaoskaffee or latte I can't remember, the point is, it is like a creme brulee and a latte in one, with its caramelized foam. So good. Definitely recommended and will visit again next time.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday February 17, 2016

Pros: Friendly staff, Good value, Original

Best and first experience ever!!! - Edit

I am in Berlin for the first time right now. Unfortunately I will go home tomorrow after a four day stay. Me and my carnivore friend ate at Chaostheorie twice in a row!!! Lovely food, style, toilet and also wonderful staff. I highly recommend this 100% vegan place. Actually, I felt a bit spoiled because I could eat every single part of the menu. Go here and enjoy!

Best vegan Bar ever - Edit

Its the best vegan ever! I have been there twice and just tried their cocktails and they were all amazing! Will definitely come back. I wish the place was bigger though, can get very (too) cosy.
Updated from previous review on Friday November 13, 2015

Pros: Really good coctails, Nice personnel , Very creative

No. 1 Spot in Prenzlauer Berg - Edit

I come here often aus I live in the neighbourhood, and am happy to do so!

Mostly I frequent the Chaostheorie at night as I see it more as a bar than a café.
The cocktails are delicious but I also always get exeptional service and advice when I'm in the mood for something straight up. When you're there you have to ask for Holger, this guy is a kick-ass bartender and spirits-encyclopedia! Like a good bar should they serve not healthy but delicious barfood, like grilled sandwiches, cheese covered nachos, etc. vegan style of course. On mondays they serve a badass bbq burger, thuresdays döner kebab and saturday mornings weisswurst

Pros: Cocktails , Service, Atmosphere

Cons: Small

Awesome with compromises - Edit

To be honest: It is just amazing that a whole vegan bar like this exists. I come here every now and then since its opening, usually for some celebration wine or cocktail.

Ever since they invented Dönerstag and offer a great (the best?) vegan version of the most popular Berlin streetfood, this place upgraded even more. Also they started to cooperate with OhLaLa, a vegan french café in Fhain, to not only offer those delicious creamy cakes and tresors (most amazing treat ever), but also created a tresor drink (!!! yes).

But, the prices... It is an expensive place.

And, the service... is uneducated in this realm and this spoils the experience. The hands of some waitresses (creating the food and drinks) are looking dirty, the appearence can be alternative by all means, but not trashy dirty alternative in gastronomy. And the peak of my experiences: When white wine was served too warm, we were offered ice cubes in it.
No. Nonono.

In the evenings and weekends this place gets crowded. Uncomfortable squeezing in some corner is needed to get what you want. It's loud, not relaxing. But still you are happy to get a seat or you seriously think about sitting outside in the cold just to have your hot cocoa with marshmallows.

Pros: A whole vegan bar!, Hot cocoa with marshmallows! Döner!, French cakes & goodies (tresor)

Cons: Dirty service hands, Not cozy, Very expensive

Fabulous little find - Edit

Came on a Monday and had the Bastard BBQ burger which was delicious (if not a little messy!)
Great atmosphere and intimate surroundings
Staff couldn't do enough... Very friendly and helpful
Somewhere we would definitely recommend

Pros: Delicious food , Helpful and friendly staff, Pleasant atmosphere

Cons: Limited seating

Indulgent - Edit

We both had a burger called the "big bastard bbq" or something like that. It was totally indulgent (as in, super unhealthy) but so good. So was the dessert we ordered - it was like a chocolate biscuit with a big cream puff on top, and hidden inside was a centre of malteser-like choc balls and sweet sauce. Delicious!

The staff were also fantastic, so friendly and helpful. I'll definitely go again next time I am in Berlin.

Pros: friendly staff, cosy atmosphere, great sweets

Cons: so dim inside,could barely read the menu

so nice i visited twice - Edit

recently went to berlin for a weekend trip and decided to visit as many vegan restaurants as possible. here i decided to go twice, once for breakfast and the other for dinner. i first got an amazing croissant meatball/cheese sandwich and came with nacho chips, washed it all down with "big big lebowski" spiked drink... all vegan, all delicious. tried the cookies 'n cream cake slice as well, did not disappoint, 'twas recommended by the waitress. my second visit gave me the chance to try the hotdog sandwich, again with nacho chips, and enjoyed a chai milkshake. I definitely would recommend the croissant sandwich over the hotdog sandwich, and the big big lebowski drink. it all tasted great but would've liked to have had more cheese on the chips for sure (comes drizzled on top). they have a great atmosphere- beach going vibe. they play great indie music and probably have the coolest bathroom you could ever hope to use. id say get there early rather than later because the venue has limited seating and fills up quick. worth the visit though! :)

Pros: drink selection , atmosphere- bathroom , desserts

Cons: limited seating, limited food selection

Go with an empty stomach! - Edit

Went here for breakfast and it was SO good - we had the filled vegan croissants but the toasted sandwiches looked amazing too. Really good coffee and great, friendly service. But the best thing was the cakes!! All vegan and completely delicious. The post- sugar coma was definitely worth it! There are nice little shops nearby to potter around in afterwards too.

What fat vegans eat - Edit

The whole menu here is like Elvis Presley's last meal. Five happy cow's just for the pleasure of saying the following out loud:

"I'll have a double cheese meatball croissant with a Snickers milkshake".

This is like a wish I would give to a genie, but sure enough they brought it to me on a bed of cheese nachos. Nuff said.

Pros: Fun!, Ridiculous

Cons: Let's not pretend it's healthy

great coffee, good croissants - Edit

They don't have a huge variety for breakfast and don't expect healthy food there. Although surprisingly, their "Flüssiges Frühstück" ("liquid breakfast") is basically a healthy smoothie made with oats, almond milk, bananas, dates and chai spices. The croissants with chocolate creme, "spekulatius" creme and peanut butter were good but no outstanding. I guess they don't put a lot of effort into their presentation. But the cakes looked good. The interior was kinda funky and colourful.

Pros: good croissants, AMAZING coffee, rather cheap

Cons: not so healthy, didn't really like their food pres

very pleasant and friendly - Edit

First time here and I really like it. It is small and looks like a cafe/cocktail bar, but does serve food. Main courses from 5pm, so I had the Chaos Croissant, which was very good. The smoothie was also great. It seems to be a vegan fastfood, not much choice besides sandwich style food, but if you are looking for that, this is the place.

Pros: great atmosphere, very friendly people

Cons: not so healthy

Cute place with lovely food. - Edit

The "grosse süsses" breakfast is great, though maybe not the most nourishing thing you'll ever eat. There are non-sweet items on the menu too, if you prefer a non-sugary meal.

Communicating with the staff in English was not a problem.

Pros: Cosy atmosphere, Friendly staff

Super Place!! - Edit

Really good juices and smoothies, so good I went back later the same day. Vegan torte to die for - very indulgent!!
The best coffee I have had in Berlin as well. Owner is really friendly!

Pros: juice, coffee, vegan cake

Fantastic name, fantastic place! - Edit

This is a great place, the woman working there was super friendly, it's definitely somewhere i'd hang out more (if i lived near it!) We had a delicious dessert (apparently made at Ohlala), called a Tresor it had amazing cream with toasted hazelnuts & a solid prailine core which was filled with caramel and hazelnuts..wow!Plus i had a tasty pina colada. Love that it's all vegan. it's a very welcoming, relaxing cosy little place.

Pros: All vegan, Such good drinks & cake, Very friendly

Cons: I don't live near!

Top - Edit

Great choice of drink: cocktail, smoothies, milkshake, ... All vegan! We had a tasty sandwich with nachos and a great green smoothie. There was excellent cakes, we love to try it the next time.

Pros: All vegan, Choice

Cons: Little space

loved everything. - Edit

Spent a lovely Friday evening sat outside. I Had a chaos coffee (like a cappuccino creme brûlée!) followed by nachos and a hot dog sandwich (love that everything is served with burger sauce) followed by the best dessert ever. I can't remember the name of it but it was like whipped cream dipped in toasted hazelnuts with a solid praise core which was filled with caramel and hazelnuts. Virgin mojito was also good and decently sized. Staff were amazing and very accommodating of our poor level of German. They also recommended us other places to eat on our trip.

New favorite place in Berlin - Edit

We visited Chaostheorie on the day of my birthday. I had a hot chocolate with marshmallows, a piece of fantastic banana mousse cake, and a croissant(!) with cheese(!!) and hotdogs(!!!) served on nacho chips. Heaven. I had told the barista/cook/bartender about the occassion of our visit, and she surprised me with a complimentary virgin cocktail. So kind! A couple of nights later I decided I was really craving a cocktail, so we went back and had a couple more. If I lived in Berlin, you would definitely find me there at least once a week. This place is definitely my new favorite place in Berlin and I would definitely recommend a visit.

Pros: Fantastic (virgin!) cocktails, friendly staff, great food

Nicht lang schnacken, Kopp in'n Nacken :) - Edit

Yeah, vegan drinks and cocktails in a very chilled and modern but cosy little place. We sat directly at the counter, chatting a bit with one of the owners and tried several very tasty drinks. One of them was just created by the barkeeper and we had the chance to taste it :)
They also offer pastries, cakes and muffins
I definitely will go there again at my next Berlin visit!

Pros: very nice and friendly staff, good to each by public transportation, tasty little snacks (pastries & cakes)

Great cocktails, great toast - Edit

Awesome cocktails (both with or without alcohol), pineapple milkshake to die for. Super friendly dog on staff :)

Snackie type food (toast, croissants, nachos), so don't expect a "full meal". But it will still fill you up properly! Was too full to try the cakes, but they looked out of this world.

Would come back!

Pros: Tasty, Great atmosphere , Friendly dog

awesome vegan drinks and food - Edit

We live in LA where there are a plethora of great vegan restaurants. This place can stand with the best of them! It reminds me of Doomie's in that it's your more comfort food - type vegan food. We had a croissant topped with hot dog / cheese and one topped with "nacho" stuff. I don't get it. Just order it.

Note that they don't have a ton of food here. 5-6 sandwiches and some dessert. But the drinks are delicious, everything is priced well, and you can get super full eating here. You don't need a 10 page menu if you're only going to order 2 things.

They also have an incredibly kind staff. Holger (sp?) was working when we were there and he speaks excellent english and has a hilarious sense of humor. So glad this place exists within walking distance of our hotel. I would be happy to go again when visiting Berlin.

Pros: price, croissant sandwiches, adult milkshakes

DELICIOUS cocktails! - Edit

went here twice with 2 friends on one weekend, we tried different cocktails and each of them was wonderful! For those, who like something extraordinary, try "After Eight" (chocolate-mint) or Bananamania (something with Banana (obviously), Chai etc) - they were simply delicious!
Nice interior and friendly staff. They also have cakes, milkshakes etc - all vegan, so I will definitely go there again :)

Pros: delicious, cool place, nice staff

Cons: nothing.

Wonderful service! Amazing chocolate milkshake! - Edit

We really enjoyed Chaostheorie when we visited Berlin. The owner, a vibrant and happy lady, kindly translated parts of the menu for us and we opted for a ham & cheese croissant, meatball & cheese sandwich, a chocolate milkshake and two types of cake. Everything arrived quickly, was nicely presented and tasted fantastic. The milkshake was an especial treat and had been prepared with hazelnut milk and ice-cream. Upon paying we were granted a 10% discount on account of it being the owner's birthday. This was a nice surprise at the end of an even nicer meal. On another trip we enjoyed milkshakes only and had these after eating dinner at the nearby Vego World which serves vegan pizza and burgers down the road (amazing place!). This time we were afforded another 10% discount as it was the anniversary of the shops opening. Wonderful, friendly service, nice outdoor seating space and really tasty food and drinks. Cocktails are also served after dark so the place certainly has appeal for everyone. Will definitely visit again when next in Berlin!

Pros: Vibrant and helpful staff, Tasty food , Good stop for vegan milkshakes

Cons: None!

Very good! - Edit

After arriving in Berlin, the first thing we did was coming to this place to relax and have some good food. We tried the bodacious Nachos scalloped with vegan cheese (oh my goodness!!!) and the Chaos croissant (fantastic!). Besides we had the best Matcha-Milk ever and also (my) first vegan Irish Coffee :) But the best of the best of the best of the ... have been the desserts! Both of them -berry-white-chocolate-cream-cake and "Tresor" were nearly orgasmic! Seriously! This Tresor was the best dessert I ever had.

Good atmosphere, friendly service and good value for money!

Pros: Food, Atmosphere, Service

Cons: Small menu

Great Vegan Cafe! - Edit

Visiting Chaostheorie was on our to-do-list when we came to Berlin and we're pleased that we paid the place a visit.

My partner and I ordered an iced-coffee with ice-cream and whipped cream, needless to say they were wonderful! My daughters shared a pineapple and banana smoothie made with coconut milk. We all had a toasted croissant filled with faux salami, cheese and tortilla crisps and for dessert, I had apple strudel with ice-cream and my partner had the green tea and peach cake. All the food was yummy and exciting to try.

The choice of food on the menu is not vast but is still okay; here is a specials board with some more things to choose from, but mainly it is toasted bread or croissants with a filling to choose from - sweet and savoury.
There is, however, an impressive amount of hot drinks, smoothies, milkshakes and alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks to choose from. It is a cocktail bar in the evening, so it would make sense, and I bet it is really good fun to sample them all.

Great decor - very trendy and gives veganism a fresh and modern look which I liked. Seating inside in a cosy area and funky seating outside!
Friendly staff who spoke English and inexpensive prices but not huge portions.
Would deffo go there again!!

Pros: Exciting and fun vegan food, Lots of drinks to choose from, Friendly service

Perfect little cafe - Edit

I came here while visiting berlin and hunting for vegan food and it was absolutely great! Cafe and bakery style fare in the day and a cocktail bar at night but you can order whatever you like all day still. Sweets and cakes are delicious and from another vegan bakery in town. Hadn't tried the cocktails but they all sound good as well.
The employee who helped me (who's name I won't guess the spelling of) was super friendly. Speaks English well which was great as I don't speak German. Went through the whole menu for me and recommended favourites. Even recommended other vegan restaurants and businesses to try during my trip. As well it was raining when I arrived and I didn't have an umbrella so he just gave me one. I went back the next day too and everything was just as pleasant and tasty! I'd give it a try if you're in Berlin!

Pros: Friendly staff, English speaking staff, Reasonable prices

Cons: Smokey (but that's Europe for you)

Good Shakes - Rather Poor Food - Edit

I was happy to find a vegan place for breakfast and even managed to drag my non-vegan friends along.
The food was a dissappointment though. The toasted sandwich was made with the cheapest white bread you find pre-scliced in packages. Quantaty wasn't great for the price.
Pineapple milkshake however was lovely!
I'd choose another place to eat in.

Pros: Cute Interior, Nice Milkshakes

Cons: Overpriced, Nothing Special

Indulgent cocktails.. - Edit

The guy that owns this place is great. He clearly knew we were foreigners so came and sat down with us, talked us through the whole menu, very friendly. It's a cozy little place that basically stays open late selling booze and baked goods (seriously- how can you knock that?).

We had cocktails- I couldn't tell you the name of them but my word they were something special. It was like having a dessert, very indulgent and delicious. Slightly tipsy on the way out, we then bought cookies for the wobble home. I guess the vegan equivalent to 'having a kebab' back in the uk ;)

If you're in the area or like to try cocktails, definitely make effort to go here for one or two. He even makes his own vegan Baileys :)

Pros: gorgeous cocktails, cosy atmosphere, fair prices

Why come here? - Edit

Maybe I should come here in order to support vegan cafes because of course I want more vegan coffee shops around.

But there is actually nothing special to eat here. I would not come all the way to this place just to have a coffee and a dry cake (the cakes look dry and they were dry).

Menu is short and boring.

Pros: it is vegan!, nice staff, cheap

Cons: menu is very short, nothing really to eat, dry boring cakes and cookies

Vegan Gem in Prenzlauerberg - Edit

At last a nice vegan bar in Prenzlauerberg. It is so handy that I've found myself going there twice a week at least. The thing I like best about CT is the friendly service and cosy atmosphere, and of course the location, right in the heart of Prenzlauerberg, near KastanienAllee and LychenerStr.

Make sure you try the Big Lebowski cocktail, and delicious vegan cakes.
Updated from previous review on Thursday February 06, 2014

Pros: Position, Cosy, Friendly

Cons: Closed Monday

A cocktail bar that impressed two tea totalers! - Edit

We literally bumped into this place on our way to the Vego restaurant and so decided to come back and have our desert here. We didn't try the cocktails as we don't drink but Lilian had a(nother) excellent hot chocolate and I was served a good sized Earl Grey tea that went very well with our cakes. The appley citrus cake I had was superb. The croissant was good but sorely missed a splash of warm chocolate sauce or thick cream atop it! The staff/owner were friendly and informative and I intend to return to Chaostheorie next time I'm in Berlin.

Pros: Good cake, Open late, Not cheap

Cons: Limited selection of food

One of our favourite cafés/bars in Berlin - Edit

Very friendly atmosphere and staff.
The coffee & tea is excellent. The sandwiches (you should try the vegan salami toast!) and the different cakes are tasty.
Also a nice place if you for example want to write or read.

Pros: The staff, The food, The atmosphere

Creative cocktails and delicious baked goodness - Edit

I went here with a group and between us we ordered a good selection of cocktails. They were presented well and everyone seemed pretty happy with theirs. It was especially interesting to see veganised classics such as the white russian.

We also tried the Irish coffee and milkshakes (made from ice cream and flavoured soy milk), which was really good.

The baked goods, which are delicious are currently supplied by Goodies (http://www.happycow.net/reviews/goodies-berlin-berlin-20405), who make good quality stuff, but they informed us that they plan to open a bakery in Bremen and have them delivered especially.

It's not huge inside but it was cosy and the atmosphere was nice. As for the price, it wasn't cheap, but then what cocktail bar is? (€8.80 for a milk shake and muffin, for example).

Pros: 100% vegan!!!, Interesting selection, Attentive staff

Cons: Expensive, Not very big

Could these be the best cakes in Germany? - Edit

These cakes will hold their own against all challengers, vegan or otherwise! While chocolate lovers will find their dreams answered here, the real insider tip is anything with the word "Nougatcreme" in its name. Don't forget to check out the cupcakes and cake pops (lollicakes?). All cakes also available to go. Order a cupcake to go just to see the cute container. Unfortunately, nothing here is gluten-free. Perhaps this can be remedied.

While you're here, check out the African restaurant "Massai" a little further in on the same block. About 40% of the menu is vegetarian, which probably means vegan. (They might only be open evenings.)

Pros: vegan cakes, enthusiastic employees

Cons: nothing gluten-free, no decaf capuccino

J-Veg 08 Sep 2013 - They certainly do have excellent cakes, but it's worth noting they are currently supplied by Goodies (http://www.happycow.net/reviews/goodies-berlin-berlin-20405) :-)

Return to Berlin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chaostheorie closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.