First Review by KEG1106

Simply Horrible... - Edit

I've been there today and I have to warn you all that they are not vegan friendly. They have a big buffet with all the vegan and vegetarian food all together, without any indication or ingredients displayed, or a sign saying "vegan" or "vegetarian". And when you ask the staff for vegan: "chuen su", they say that all is vegan. I had to ask every staff member many times for every dish in particular and they all said different things about the same dish, no one knew exactly if the food was vegan or not. So, I wasted 20 minutes just trying to figure out with the staff which is vegan and which is not, by asking: "No milk?", "No Cheese?", "No butter?", No eggs?"... Not to mention that no one there speaks English, so, if you don't speak Chinese, good luck. At the end, I talked to the owner who lied that she is not the owner until the staff took me to her. I kindly asked the owner if she could add signs telling us which meals are vegan and which ones are vegetarian and she just said ok but wasn't really interested in my opinion or feelings. If you are a vegan, I recommend that you never visit this place. Have a great day.

Pros: cheap

Cons: no taste, no variety, no respect, no vegan indicators, no English, no knowledge of veganism

All-you-can-eat buffet - Edit

This is like a small, humble version of the huge all-you-can-eat buffets found in larger cities like Taipei and Kaohsiung, albeit with fewer options, including no tea or coffee. At 200NT (lunch), it's a good deal for a good meal.

As usual at non-vegan restuaurants in Taiwan, when I told them I didn't eat dairy products a well-meaning staff member took me round and pointed out a few obvious dishes which contain dairy (like cheese pasta) but missed fake meat, mayonnaise dressing and even buttered bread! So vegans need to avoid anything which looks milky, regardless of whatever staff might say.

From my experience, this is the second best option in Hualien after the Loving Hut.

Pros: all-you-can-eat, good range of food (including vegan), close to train station

Cons: difficult to know what's vegan

hours, etc - Edit

When I first arrived in Hualien I was tired, hot and hungry. Instead of waking to Chang Chin Teng, I decided to borrow a bike from my hostel and ride it there. It was easy enough to find, however,
I arrived there at 3pm and they were closed! The lady saw the severe look of disappointment on my face, said, in English, "hungry?" While rubbing her belly and pointing at mine, and made me a take away box. She had me there.

Later that night I decided to try it again for dinner. Dinner was delicious, with lots of variety and all you can eat for $150. You can also select a frozen treat from the giant freezer.

The hours are 11-2 lunch and 5-8 dinner. The shop which sells vegetarian/ vegan foods seems to be open all day.

Great spot to go when hungry! - Edit

Awesome array of traditional TW veggie foods. There's a salad bar, hot bar plus desserts. Excellent dumplings, greens and wide array of desserts (mochi, sweet beans to add to porridge). Come hungry as there's so much to try!

Return to Hualien Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chang Chun Teng closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1477 times since Apr 2014.