First Review by myboyfriendisdead

reasonable but not exceptional - Edit

I've only been here once, and ate at the dinner buffet. So this is a narrow review for that one option alone.

On the one hand, it's a very good amount of variety. For introducing someone to Indian food, for instance, it offers a lot of options. It has things like paani puri, which is fun, and there are lots of different kinds of desserts as well.

On the other hand, the food quality is a bit iffy. The main veg dishes are all *heavy*. You'll come out feeling not fed so much as stuffed. Their heaviness and cream and so on slightly mask the fact that the food isn't really fantastic; there's much better Indian food in urban areas of the US. Plus, there's very little that feels especially healthy, from the mains to the dessert (whose strawberries are the only non-full-on-sugar option -- and even they're meant for dipping in the chocolate fountain...).

In a sense, this is typical of many Indian buffets, and indeed of Indian restaurants even in India. So it's not especially out of the ordinary. But if you've gotten used to really quality Indian food in the US (which is possible -- even in buffets), this is a reminder of what more typical Indian restaurants are like.

The place is pleasant-looking (definitely a step up from a hole-in-the-wall), the service is decent, and the staff seem friendly. The place seems to attract a lot of Indians, so when we were there we heard more Tamil than English, which was definitely a nice homely touch.

Note that the dinner buffet bill includes an automatic 15% gratuity (we were only a party of two).

Pros: good buffet spread, pleasant place

Cons: heavy food, not many healthy options

No thanks, I'm good - Edit

First, let me say that I eat Indian food. Often. At least 5 times per week. I can handle the peppers and the spices very well and the only time my stomach gets a little funky is when I have pickle that JUST came from India (made in India and brought back with a family memeber). So this review is not to complain about Chand's spice level which was actually quite good, but rather thow HEAVY their food is.
As soon as I walked in, I experienced excellent customer service. The gentleman at the front was very courteous and explained the lunch buffet to-go option they offered. I opted for this and walked over to the buffet with him where he packed up the food as I requested it, but gave me a bit of a hard time when I requested some onion chutney saying it was only for people who stay. Upon hearing how stupid his words sounded even to himself, he said nevermind and packed some up. The gentleman was courteous the entire time I was there. When I got back to my desk, ready to dive in, everything was so rich I couldnt eat it! The naan was soaked in oil, and the louts was equally oily and overcooked (it should have a little snap to it, but it was limp). The onion chutney wasnt even in the bag! After all that, they didnt give it to me! I then had the unhappy coincidence of attending an event catered by them the very next day. No one at my table relished the meal. And there was no onion chutney there either. I dont know if its all the ghee they surely use, but both meals acted like glue in my stomach! I will never be back.

Pros: friendly service

Cons: ghee-induced nausea

yum! - Edit

great service, nice place to dine in, or take out. not cheap, but reasonably priced, and it's nice to go to an all veggie restaurant. if you like veggie Indian food, this would be the place for you. I even took my grandmother here, and she enjoyed it! located in a strip mall, but still a nice place. Vegan friendly!

Pros: service, price, FOOD/ wide selection

Cons: location, somewhat.

Not Bad - Edit

This was our first time eating Indian and I was the only one who wound up enjoying the food due to its spiciness. The atmosphere was good and the waiter just as good. The only problem I had was that me made it clear we were vegan and do not consume dairy. With the food it was great. We asked him to suggest a bread for us and perhaps it was the cooks fault, but the bread came with butter. Overall good and would recommend it. The pricing is decent most dinner dishes are about $10-$15. The place got busy (Saturday night) and so our service was not as personal from then on.

Pros: variety, vegan options, good food

Cons: busy, small space

One of the Best! - Edit

A group of vegan friends and I went to dinner here one night. It was a simply splendid experience. We ordered a wide range of appetizers and dinners, complemented with bread and coconut rice. Everything was soooo good! The dining room is a BYOB, but when we ran out of wine they offered to bring us some from the banquet hall. The staff was wonderful at explaining to us what was vegan and what wasn't. I plan to visit this place again in the near future!

Pros: Great Service, BYOB

Return to Parsippany Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chand Palace closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2327 times since Aug 2007.