Champs Diner

Contact 718-599-2743

197 Meserole St, Brooklyn, New York, USA, 11206

Vegan bakery and diner making a range of sweets like vegan donuts, croissants, cookies, cupcakes, scones, and brownies with gluten-free and sugar-free options. Serves vegan diner food. Est. 2010 as Champs Family Bakery on Ainslie St and moved here in 2014. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by andreacarioca

Recommend eating in - Edit

Diner take-out is always a little sad, not Champs' fault. Good, solid vegan diner food, as you'd expect, with mid-level ingredients. I recommend the poutine! And grateful for neighborhood delivery.

Really fun diner experience - Edit

Had heard a lot about this prior to my trip to New York and really wasn't disappointed. Tofu scramble was the best I've tasted, and the pancakes were amazing. Really nice to have the american diner experience, as it's always nice to try veganised versions of local traditions when you visit a different country.

Pros: Brilliant tasting food, Great coffee

Cons: Popular, so busy

King of Brunch - Edit

We came here last Saturday for the first time. There was no doubt, we just had to come again this week! So we did.

What a magnificent little brunch gem. My personal favorite are the pancakes with blueberries, chocolate chips, butter & maple syrup. True bliss. What can I say, just so well-done! Intensely tasteful, fresh blueberries, great texture pancakes.

Staff is fast and friendly. Decor is really nice and funny. Ambiance is all in all just welcoming.

There is quite the wait though, we had to wait for about an hour. However, totally worth it!

Pros: Amazing food, Plenty brunch options, Welcoming ambiance

Cons: Waiting time

Best Vegan Diner Food - Edit

I go to Champs very often with my boyfriend. To the point where the waiters know us. My boyfriend isn't vegan and he loves Champs. I strongly recommend the seitan asada fries and the tempeh wings!

Food like a Champ! - Edit

I visited today with my two sons and a friend. I'm the only vegan at the table but had adventurous foodies with me who were willing to try vegan food. I also have to add that I'm a super picky eater so I was a bit skeptical on how the food would taste. I had pancakes with tempeh sausage n bacon with tofu scramble n potatoes.... can I say delish! My family also loved their meals which included hash browns, cowgirl chili, cookie dough pancakes and waffles. All incredible! If we didn't know it was a vegan spot, we would think it's regular food!
The staff is super friendly and attentive. I read reviews where it's cash only but they did accept our credit card.
We will definitely return as I have a few other food items I'm looking forward to trying. Btw....as others have stated, the food is not only delicious but super filling. Love at first bite.

Pros: Delicious food, good value, Friendly staff, Nice vibe

Cons: Small space

Great for breakfast and lunch! - Edit

After landing at JFK around 11:00am, the first thing we did was to head out to Champs Diner because that's the first thing vegans should do after landing at JFK. Why? Well, just go, see for yourself, order some of their amazing food, eat it and realize there is no other vegan diners in Earth like Champs Diner. Are we stop to Champs on our way back to JFK airport, you bet!

Pros: Great food, Near JFK airport, Tons of options

Cons: I wish they had a second location in Manhattan

Everything was great! - Edit

Came for dinner on a Saturday night. The wait was about 30 minutes, not bad at all. The food was so great! I had a cookie dough milkshake to start that was perfect, and we shared the carne asada cheese fries. My husband picked that, and I wasn't sure I would like it because I don't usually like a lot of fake meat on something, but it was so good! The asada strips were a great size and texture, and the sauce was yummy. I got the big bowl of mac and cheese for dinner, and honestly couldn't hardly eat any of it! I was so full! We took it to go and split it for dinner another night, it was that huge! I really liked it too. My husband got The Grinder and said it was just ok. If we went again, we would probably split the fries, and then split an entree. The portions were huge! Would love to come here again and haw more off the menu.
The only thing I didn't like, the tables are REALLY close together (we heard every detail of the awkward first date next to us!). Also, the table we had was so small. They put two water classes, a carafe and silver ware and we barely had room for our plates. But I know, this is Brooklyn so they aren't working with a ton of space.

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-10

Pros: portions, milkshakes

Cons: small tables, so close together

Pancakes! - Edit

I've been here threes times during our stay in NYC and always for breakfast. I had the biscuits and gravy the first day and whilst it was tasty, I preferred the waffle and pancakes that I had on subsequent visits. The servings are large!

best shakes - Edit

The shakes here are out of this world... make me think it's dairy but of course it can't be. So creamy! Also the tatertachos (tater tot nachos) are incredible. The breakfast burritos are also killer!!

The best - Edit

Seriously, the food here is incredible. Over the course of several visits on my trip I had the Hangover Hash Browns (lovely, albeit an absolutely huge serving that would have fed me for days!), the Mac & Cheese, French Toast, the Reuben, the Cubano and the Country-Fried Seitan. All were amazing and I'd be hard pushed to pick my favourite dish. Gets busy, so I'd recommend making an early morning visit here (I ordered several of the sandwiches to go which kept me fed as I wandered around NY) and if you are on your own, you may get asked to sit at the counter. Staff are lovely and keep the bottomless coffee flowing! p.s. They take cards (or at least did when I was there) :)

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-11

Pros: Excellent Food

Cons: Gets very busy

champs diner... first class vegan! - Edit

Amazing service, menu choice and taste. I had the 'chicken' burger meal it was full of flavour. For 9 meals and starters it cost us approx £160! Bargain I say! Go... go now!

Great spot for your vegan junk food fix. - Edit

YUM YUM YUM.
On a week-long visit to NYC we stopped in at Champs for a meal on a weekday at around noon. The wait was 30-40 minutes and we were fresh off a plane and not in the mood to wait. Our loss. We went back a few days later in the early afternoon and were seated right away. Although the service was a little slow, the meal was downright delicious. I had a strawberries and cream milkshake that I am still dreaming about - it was fresh and so tasty.

Pros: Satisfying food, delicious milkshakes and desserts, Great value , Cute, authentic diner

Cons: No public WiFi, Service on the slow side, Potential for a long wait at busy times

Amazing food. Ridiculously rude staff! - Edit

Love the food here, my friends and I come here a couple of times a month. The bad service is a running joke. We only return because we love the food so much!
It's such a shame that the management have chosen style over substance when it's comes to their staff. Visit, and you'll see what I mean!

awesome - Edit

Cozy little diner that seats 30-40 people... Cute black/white decide with helpful and friendly staff. Food was delicious and on point! I got the cubano which was amazing, and my wife got the Reuben (which seems to be the case everywhere we go) and she gave it 4/5 stars. Both came with a side salad. The place had two gender-neutral bathrooms that were covered with stickers and urban art. LOVED everything about this place! Would totally come again!!!

Return to Brooklyn Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Champs Diner closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.