Chamkar - The Passage

The Passage, Old Market, Siem Reap, Cambodia

Vegetarian restaurant serving Cambodian Khmer cuisine. Sample menu items such as coconut mushroom dip with baguette, sweet potato and tomato soup with coconut milk and cardamom, stir fried eggplant with loofah and basil, fresh fruit drinks, and organic wine. Everything is vegan apart from one dish that contains cheese. NOTE: Location is a bit difficult to find, sits between street 8 and 9, between street 11 and hospital road in an alley way, next door to Cambodian BBQ. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Cambodian, Khmer

First Review by tumbleweedy

Good vegan options - Edit

Good vegan options , small place in a very crowded walking street , always busy . Staff nice , food is tipical Khmer . Tasty and good portions .

Must visit - Edit

Best food we've eaten in Cambodia! Glass noodles are unreal! And spring rolls to start 😻

nice little place - Edit

We had a couple of meals here and it is worth the visit. Fresh spring rolls are very good for starters and the Amok and Cambodian curry are full of flavour and packed with vegetables. All served with a big bowl of brown rice to share, Good value for money, enough food on the plate, nice central location and decent white wine and cold beer. What more could you want!

Pros: good value, decent menu, central location

Amazing food, cute, central location. - Edit

I went here twice during my stay in Siem Reap. It was the best food I ate in Cambodia, which my partner agreed and he is not a vegetarian. We shared the wedding day dip to start which is delicious, highly recommend, it's served with warm fresh bread. I had a curry for my main which was served with a huge bowl of organic brown rice. The staff are friendly and speak great English, the setting is cosy down a little alley way in the heart of the city. No air con so it's hot, I recommend sitting upstairs on the balcony with the fan.

Pros: Vegan is labeled, Centrally located , Excellent staff

Best Cambodian food - Edit

I loved this place. I ate alone here the first night and ordered the wedding day dip and a curry. Both were delicious and very good portions. The dip was beautiful - mushroomy, creamy and nutty - I'd never tasted anything quite like it, it's served with a yummy sliced baguette. The curry was also very tasty but I was almost full from the starter so couldn't finish it all.

I went back a few nights later with 4 friends I met in the hostel - all omnivores and everybody loved their food! This time I had the fresh spring rolls and the glory pot. Holy cow! The glory pot is one of the most magical things I've ever tasted. A hot and sour soup, sooo flavourful and well balanced. It's made with morning glory (a typical Asian green) and green papaya chunks. One of those meals you think would cure a multitude of ills. Ah, food!

Pros: Bloody delicious food, Even omnis were satisfied, Lots of choice

good veg affordable food - Edit

Location is in the thick of restaurant and bar district. Small probably with about 10 tables, ground level and upstairs. No aircon so it was warm and humid. Not fast food. May take some time for food to come. Good value.

Pros: central location all veg affordable prices range 1

Cons: limited menu, crowded setting small

superb - Edit

Had the pumpkin yellow curry that was great. Glass noodles that were pretty good. But the mushroom main way was too salty and had too much basil flavour so be careful .However the mad eggplant lover was DELICIOUS, super smooth, oh my, I still think about it. Service is good, you should go and try :)
Dessert was lovely too!

Pros: Tasty!

delicious - Edit

Very nice restaurant. staff were friendly and the food was very tasty. Clearly marked with vegan options ended up eating there twice!

Pros: cosy and relaxed vibe

good vegetarian Cambodian food - Edit

The restaurant is almost vegan and the food is very good, tasty and most dishes are inspired by Khmer food but more creative. The wedding dip, mushrooms and amok were all very well done.
Service could be better. The upstairs sitting area doesn't look that nice

Sabores Khmer( Camboyanos), muy recomendable! - Edit

Y soy persona viajera, Vietnam, China, Laos, India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapur, Indonesia y vivo en Tailandia, así que mi paladar está acostumbrado a sabores exóticos, pero en este local llevado por locales me chupe los dedos.
El Amok con arroz integral, pruébalo y ya me darás las gracias luego, nada graso.
Currys suaves, ensaladas, aperitivos, todo lo k probé buenísimo.
Precio correcto. Servicio amabilísimo como los camboyanos en general.
El local agradable en un callejón peatonal.
Cuesta un poco encontrar, pongo foto de mesas de fuera. Está en pequeña transversal de la Pub street.

Pros: Sabores exóticos , Negocio de gente local, rico, bonito y barato

Cons: difícil encontrar

Traditional Khmer Vegan food - Edit

So yum and such a beautiful atmosphere to go with it! The prices are a bit higher than elsewhere but everything is super tasty.
Highly recommend the wedding day dip

Pros: Excellent food

Cons: Difficult to find

Great food, big portions, central location - Edit

The food is so good at Chamkar. The prices may seem a bit high, but that is okay because the portions are big and fulfilling. In other restaurants I didn´t feel satisfied after one dish, so I ended up ordering starters and then it became expensive elsewhere. So that is why I don´t think Chamkar was expensive.

Our group tried several dishes during our three visits:
- Cambodian pumpkin melody - a pumpkin curry, my favourite at Chamkar
- The eggplant main course. We expected fried eggplant but this was a curry, so good.
- Sweet potato curry
- Wedding day dip, so good dip with baguettes
- Potted wild harvest, which was a dip too with baguette and fresh veggies for dipping
- The Glory pot, which was green soup, very good
- Another soup, I don´t remember the name, but we didn´t expect a soup so the names and explanations of the dishes don´t always reveal what it is
- Summer rolls (fresh spring rolls)
- Enchanted garden, a green salad, that was a disappointment because it was so small, mostly just lettuce, not much tofu or anything else.

Finding this restaurant is not difficult if you understand that it is not actually located on a street, but on one of the restaurant alleys next to the old market. There is not vehicles on these lanes.

Pros: The food is so good, Portions are big enough, Located on the alleys next to Old Market

ok, but more pricey food - Edit

Located in the midst of the night market area, hence loud and busy and next to several BBQ places (...).

Pros: many vegan options

Cons: very difficult communication (English), some dishes are not seasoned enough

delicious Khmer food - Edit

Very tasty Khmer food, I enjoyed every bite of it. Amazing flavours!

Cute Hideaway - Edit

From the outside Chamkar looks very unassuming and rather charming, it is so quaint it's almost hidden in plain sight!

There is outdoor seating but as it is situated in a small, tight, busy, alleyway, my boyfriend Kerry and I opted to sit indoors. It was dark and all its charm instantly vanished. We ventured back outside.

The food was very pricey, the listed price fails to add on the additional 10% tax too, so remember to factor this in if you are somewhat poor backpackers (like us lol!)

I would recommend this place if you want a 'nice' night out, dinner, wine ect with your significant other

Pros: Pretty Exterior

Cons: Expensive , The Menu

Delicious and Nutricious - Edit

Really nice cambodian food. Try the Amok leaf dish. Great flavours

A little pricy but delicious - Edit

Chamkar's menu features salads, curries, and some western food. I ate here 3 nights in a row. The prices are a little high ($4.75-5.50 for a main) but the food is fresh and tasty, and the restaurant is classy. Plus, almost everything is vegan!

excellent veggie restaurant - Edit

The food here is just fantastic along with the price. Highly recommended for all vegetarians you won't be disappointed.

Return to Siem Reap Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chamkar - The Passage closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.