Chamblin's Uptown Cafe

• Veg-friendly
Contact 904-674-0870

215 N Laura St, Jacksonville, Florida, USA, 32202

Serves meat, vegan options available. Veg friendly cafe with coffee bar, located inside a bookstore. Almond and soy milk available for coffee drinks without extra charge. Has veggie sandwiches, a jerk tempeh wrap (vegan), Tofurkey sandwich with veganaise (vegan) plus salad, and daily soup daily which either vegan or vegetarian.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by jnali

tempeh wrap!! - Edit

My boyfriend and I decided to venture off the homestead to to try something new downtown. After seeing what vegan options they had I decided to get the vegan wrap with hummus and my bf got the tempeh wrap. Both were delicious but I will get the tempeh wrap next time for sure! And the books we got here were awesome too!! Books, coffee and vegan food?! Yes please!!

Yummy Vegan Options - Edit

We were in from out of town and I really liked this place. They had several vegan options. I ordered the special which was a seitan wrap made vegan by substituting Daiya for the cheese. Wow. It was really good. My husband had the jerk tempeh wrap. There were other vegan wraps and even more items that could be vegan by subbing the cheese. The girl at the counter was really nice and, though we didn't have time to check out the used book store, it was a nice addition. I could see buying a good used book and reading through a delicious vegan lunch if I had more time to spare.

Pros: Food Was Good, Several Vegan Options, Nice Staff

Cons: Limited Seating, Street Parking

A well-kept secret for downtown vegans. - Edit

My only complaint about Chamblin's Uptown Cafe is their terrible marketing. I have lost count of the number of local vegans who have no idea that this little cafe has many great options for them.

The fare is light and simple, the prices are low, the coffee is strong, and the iced teas really hit the spot on a hot Florida afternoon. They have several vegan options and will happily alter items on the menu to suit your diet since they prepare the food as it is ordered.

The seating area is small, and it can be very crowded at lunch. Don't be afraid to sit at a table with a future friend if they have an open seat!

One of the best features is the the book store attached: Chamblain's Bookmine (in Ortega) is legendary for having an enormous collection of used books, and many of the very best items have made their way to "Uptown". Buy a great used book and enjoy the first few chapters while eating a delicious vegan wrap.

Pros: Great food, Low prices, Large used bookstore attached

Cons: Small seating area -- can be crowded, Parking is on the street, Only a handful of vegan options

Return to Jacksonville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chamblin's Uptown Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3259 times since Oct 2012.