Chaang Thai

304.241.5374

361 High St, Morgantown, West Virginia, USA, 26505

Serves meat, vegan options available. thai food restaurant. Several appetizers are veg. Many of the main courses (rice, noodle or curry-based) are available with tofu or vegetables. Need to check the curry sauce ingredients. Open Tue-Fri 11:00am-3:00pm, 4:30pm-9:30pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-9:30pm.

Categories: Ovo, Thai, Non-veg

First Review by jb012

Pretty Good - Edit

My partner and I have eaten here a good few times and probably will once more within the next 12 months. The food is pretty good and the prices are decent for the amount of food you receive. The fried spring rolls (was told they're vegan) are some of the best I've ever had! All of their tofu/veg curries are vegan too!

Sadly, their curry needs improvement. Or maybe they just need a better chef for the curries. I usually get the tofu/veg massaman curry while my partner gets the tofu/veg panang galanga curry. Every time the flavor difference is barely noticeable and is somewhat bland. The potatoes, carrots, and green beans are raw as well.

As for the dining aesthetics, the place is nothing special. Looks like a basic 2007 design and hasn't changed since. The place usually seems clean but I do wonder how clean the kitchen really is and how they store their food prep.

Overall, a good little spot for hungry vegans. Just season the curry more and maybe put a little "VE" by your other vegan menu items other than the curry.

Updated from previous review on 2017-04-08

Pros: Friendly, Nice Vibe

Cons: Doesn't Give You Exactly What You Order, Food Needs More Flavor

Always Enjoy A Good Meal Here - Edit

Chaang Thai has been an establishment in Downtown Morgantown for several years now. Through a few changes in format in sit down versus counter service, this restaurant maintains a high level of quality and quantity of options for vegetarians, vegans, gluten-free folks. Upon arrival, they have menus which details specifically which items are already, or can be made, to your specific dietary restriction. Counter staff is knowledgeable about which ingredients; fish sauce, soy sauce, etc. are included in each meal to make certain you are not surprised by the meal you receive.

Portions are generous for the price, and meals which omit certain items are supplemented by additional noodles, tofu, vegetables and rice. I rarely leave hungry from this place, and always have several options to choose from.

The ordering system does take a bit of explaining the first time you visit. However, the management is more than willing to help walk you through the process. This system allows you to pick whichever table you'd prefer, and ensure quick service when wait times are minimal.

Pros: Many vegan and vegetarian options, Specific menus for each dietary preference, Portion sizes are good for each meals

Cons: Wait times can be excessive during peak hours, Limited menu during lunch time, Ordering system can be confusing on first approach

very accommodating with large portions - Edit

This is my favorite ethnic restaurant in Morgantown and hands down the BEST Pad Thai I have ever eaten. The menu tells you how to order if you want your food vegan. It also says the pad Thai tastes much different without fish sauce, but I don't notice much difference. One meal takes me three sittings to eat.

More than a little disappointed - Edit

I love Thai food and, absent any veggie restaurants in a particular place, a Thai restaurant is one of the first I will seek out.

When I entered on a weekday night, I was not especially surprised to find it sparsely populated. I just assumed that it was typical American indifference to foreign food (i.e. non-Mexican!)

However, there may have been a better reason. I am cautious of promises to make red or green curry without fish sauce, so I tend to go for other options. I chose a "spicy" noodle dish and asked for it to be spicy. Other than the fact that the meal was barely lukewarm, it was positively bland. They offered to take it away and spice it up but, by then, I'd had enough.

It might have been that they are used to Americans seeming inability to eat anything mildly spicy (other than Mexican, again)but I left the place deeply disappointed.

If I'm in Morgantown again, I might try it again, emphasising "original Thai" spiciness but I'm not altogether sure I could cope with another lukewarm meal.

Pros: Decent veggie selection, Downtown location

Cons: Insipid meal, Lukewarm food

Return to Morgantown Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chaang Thai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.