Cedars of Lebanon

• Veg-friendly
Contact 801-364-4096

152 East 200 South, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, 84111

Serves meat, vegan options available. Meat-based Lebanese and Moroccan food but with several marked vegan items. Belly dancers Friday and Saturday nights.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Middle Eastern, Lebanese, Moroccan, Non-veg

First Review by wanderer

Great deal on lunch specials! - Edit

Stopped in for lunch after seeing a sign outside advertising "Falafel Sandwich - VEGAN." The interior is nicely decorated. Went in and was told they also have a vegan lentil soup too. Ordered that as well. The soup was taken off of their lunch buffet offerings, and was good. Just the right amount of spice and flavorful. The service was not lightening fast. It was a bit of a wait to get my sandwich, but I was impressed with that as well. Good size, tasty, falafel with veggies with tahini wrapped in a pita. Check came - and was only $6! Great deal for vegan soup and sandwich right downtown. Took a look at their lunch buffet - it costs ~$10/person and about half of the offerings are vegan. They have salad, veggies - cold and hot, and a few other hot dishes that are vegan that I can't remember how to spell. The soup is lentil - also vegan, and pita. You could easily get full off the lunch buffet only eating the vegan food, but I think there are other lunch buffets that look better and have more vegan offerings (specifically Kathmandu just a few blocks East of here). I will go here again for the lunch specials though.

Pros: Good food, Nice interior, Cheap price for lunch special

Cons: Slower service

Very Disappointing - Edit

I had been meaning to try this place for a while because I'd heard from other vegans that it was really good. When I saw a Groupon for them, I figured it was time to try them out. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a terrible experience.
My husband and I arrived at the restaurant just after 5pm on a Saturday when they open for dinner service. We had plans later and wanted to make sure to be finished with time to spare. There were only a couple other customers in the place. They have several vegan appetizers and a couple vegan entrees. The appetizers sounded the best, so my husband and I ordered several to share. Luckily, I remembered to mention that we had a Groupon when we ordered. Our server returned a few minutes later and said we couldn't order only appetizers, we must order an entree, and then rudely added, "you can read the fine print if you want." So we changed our order to two "Vegan Platters", which were really just appetizer samplers anyway. While our server went back to place our order, I checked the "fine print", and it didn't say anything about having to order an entree.
Our soup and salad arrived quickly, but it took 30 minutes after that before we were served our entrees. While we were waiting we could hear employees arguing in the kitchen. Very unprofessional! The food was just so-so. The falafel wasn't hot and crispy like you'd expect from a restaurant. The hummus was bland. They were out of the fatayar, and when I asked to have baba ganoush added in its place, the server said it was already included, and added mohammara instead. The mohammara was the tastiest thing on the plate, but to my disappointment no baba ganoush was included.
We ate quickly because at this point we were running short on time. We asked for a box for our leftovers, and at that point the server took our Groupon. We waited for the check because even though the Groupon was enough to cover our meal, there would be tax and a tip to pay. We waited, and waited, and waited...
It was lucky we had some cash to leave on the table, because our server didn't even blink as we passed her on our way out.
Had only one or two of these things happened, I would probably give them another chance, but this was such a poor experience, I won't be going back.

Cons: slooooow service, employees fighting, bland food

Return to Salt Lake City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cedars of Lebanon closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1114 times since Jan 2013.