Caudwell's Mill Craft Centre

Caudwells Mill, Rowsley, Matlock (at Bakewell Rd, on the A6 at Rowsley), Matlock, England, DE4 2EB

Family friendly restaurant in the centre of good walking country. Tasty vegan soups. Workshops, craft shop, tea rooms, and gallery. Closes an hour earlier Apr 1-Oct 31.

Category: Vegan-friendly, English

First Review by greysquirrel

Good - could easily be great - Edit

Eaten here a couple of times when on holiday. Location to die for. But only a couple of vegan options, and a lot of the menu is simply a roll with salad. All very nice and reasonable choice. Very good chocolate and carrot cake.

Pros: Dream location, Nice food

Cons: More adventurous menu please

Little Oasis - Edit

I love coming to this place as the cafe is really cute with a lovely view of the mill race, old church pew seats, gorgeous tasty salads and mmmm seriously amazing hummus and soda bread (thinking back, I hope the soda bread is vegan because I forgot to ask). My mum and I like to come here after a walk in the hills and the food has always hit the spot very nicely. Definitely a destination in the area. (The shop at the mill is well worth checking out as well - they have lots of nice kitchen and garden stuff and just loads of random nice things, many vegan & eco friendly)

Pros: homely, trad veggie style, location location location, inexpensive

Cons: cake options not that exciting, more vegan options please

Beautiful location - Edit

Visited here with my mum and was pleasantly surprised. There isn't a huge vegan choice but the menu is completely vegetarian otherwise. My mum is neither and enjoyed her Homity Pie and salad, all of which was fresh and far from boring. I had the only vegan main option which was the Black Bean Rissoles which weren't very flavoursome and were very dry. However the rest of the meal was enjoyable. We were too full to eat after the main so took away some cake. A few of the cakes are vegan, I opted for the Date and Walnut, which my dog decided to pinch from my handbag when I got home so I've no idea what it tasted like but it looked delicious!

The cafe is in a beautiful location and there are plenty of local walks in the area. Dogs are also allowed in the cafe. The gift shops/craft shops sell unusual and interesting items. You can also buy flour, oats etc from the mill at what I thought were reasonable prices. My mum thoroughly enjoyed her afternoon there and has been planning her next visit already!
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 11, 2015

Pros: Beautiful location, Fresh food, Dog friendly

Cons: Vegan items not listed need to ask staff, Limited vegan options, Can be very busy

Caudwells Mill - Edit

Fairly good food in a lovely location. You wouldn't expect to find a vegetarian cafe here, so in that respect it was a nice surprise. I do find all the veg cafes in the Peaks do the same food ie Homity Pie and basic salad. The soup was very average. With more effort, it could be really great. Also, how much would it take to bring cutlery to the table? It's called service!!

Pros: Location excellent, Friendly staff, Nice food

Cons: Lacked imaginative menu, Coffee average

COULD BE FABULOUS - QUALITY VARIES & TIMES ODD! - Edit

We first visited Caudwells a few years ago, and had one of our best restaurant vegetarian meals for years. Sadly, on two further occasions were disappointed to varying degrees. On our second visit, it appeared the (owner?) wasn't cooking, and the "fresh" flan and salad served were obviously neither fresh, nor nicely presented. Gave it one more chance a few months ago, and although the presentation of food was back to standard, a lot of the food (including the glorious looking cakes) seemed almost tasteless. This place could truly be fabulous, it's location is stunning overlooking a mill-race, just down the road from Chatsworth. In a mill complex where you can buy stoneground flour etc. The other thing that is extremely odd, and madly annoying is it's restricted food service times. On our last visit, we arrived just before midday and were turned away because lunch service was only between (say) 12.30 - 2pm. Can't quite remember. What this meant was that when we did return, the place was overflowing with coach party customers, nibbling on scones and tea, and we struggled to queue, order our food, and find a seat in the allotted window of opportunity. A real shame, and I genuinely hope the owner reads this, and takes our comments in the spirit intended, because we would like to become regular customers!
*PS, just read previous review, and have to say, toilets are 30 seconds walk, adjacent to Art Gallery!! Cheers!

Pros: Location, Ambience & Decor, Food sometimes excellent

Cons: restricted service times, Lack of outside seating, Food not always good

Worth popping in - Edit

Very busy in the daytime but the staff keep their patience well. The cafe is in a beauty spot overlooking a river (the Wye or the Derwent? I can never remember)which seems to be for ever on the point of overflowing.
Usually two good soup options. Cakes are a speciality but don't ask for a scone because they fall to bits when you try to cut them in half.

Pros: Good-natured staff, Great surroundings

Cons: A long walk to the toilets

Return to Matlock Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Caudwell's Mill Craft Centre closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2323 times since Aug 2007.