• Friend
Contact 932956815

Boria 17 (at Laietana, Metro Jaume 1), Barcelona, Spain, 08003

Cat-themed craft beer and burger bar with 9 taps and 30+ bottles of local Catalan & Spanish beers. Serves a selection of vegan burgers, double deep fried potatoes and a daily wheat-free plate. Please order at the bar. A piano is available for anyone who can play. NO reservations taken. No air-con. Directions: on Via Laietana going inland take next street on right after c/Princesa (at c/Boria 17, street renames itself to c/Carders after 100 meters). Mon 1:00pm-11:00pm, Thu-Sun 1:00pm-11:00pm

Category: Vegan, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by A.Z.P.

Great burgers!!! - Edit

We had the patatas and the burgers! I had the Cat Burger and it was so good! Loved it! Really cozy atmosphere. Not a lot of non-alcoholic choices but my friends had great beer!

Pros: Atmosphere , Burgers, Reasonably priced

Cons: Only beer

Burgers & Beers & Cats oh my 😻 - Edit

Oh lord. These burgers. AMAZING. I've only ordered the "Champion" and I'm seriously addicted to it. I add Spinach along with the Arugula already on it. They have 5 different options and I do want to try the others I just can't tear myself away from Champ tho! I have tried a bite of my (non-vegan!) friend's Crazy , with all the seeds and the pesto and it was good! I liked mine better and he likes his better so it worked haha.

They have an amazinnnnggg sour beer on tap right now. About 7 taps I want to say. And also a fridge full of bottle to chose from.

I usually walk out spending around €11 which isn't bad! THE BURGERS ARE HUGE! I cut mine in half and save it for later.

The potatoes are... Okay. I loved the vegan garlic aioli!! But in my option too oily and salty and I can do with out them. Can't wait to try there hummus!

No outdoor seating but there is a table RIGHT in the doorframe so I sit there to people watch :)

Pros: Bang for buck, Taste, Location

Cons: No outdoor seating

best burger ever! - Edit

Amazing place, great atmosphere, super friendly staff. I cannot recommend the Hemp burger enough, though the fried potatoes on the side were probably my favourite thing. We went just as they opened at 1pm on a Monday and got a table straight away, it filled up very quickly. 10/10, a must visit!

The best burger in a trendy setting - Edit

We came here on our last night in Barcelona and weren't disappointed. This was our best meal out in 5 nights and the tastiest burger I've had. I chose the Mexican burger which didn't disappoint in the heat stakes!! My husband's hemp burger also got a 10! Friendly staff. The only negative might be that the sauce bottles looked a little old.

Pros: The tastiest burgers, The tastiest patatas, easy to get to

Cons: grubby sauce bottles

Lovely friendly place - Edit

We visited for early dinner on Monday and we had a great experience. The service, the food, the atmosphere and all reasonably priced!
We had the meal of the day which was beautifully presented and really tasty!
we will definitely come back!

Pros: Location, Food, Price

Better for during the winter - Edit

Don't get me wrong, as I loved this place. However, it doesn't have air conditioning (even though I knew this beforehand).
The ambiance is very cool, we had a piano player there!! Live music and a delicious vegan burger, cannot compete with that :)
I had the hummus, the Spicy mexican burger (really spicy, but so so good!!), and I tried 2 beers, the weird beer (which was really strange) and the black beer, which was amazing, and a lot better than the Guiness!!

I want to come back to try some of the other food :)

Pros: Live music, Vegan spicy burger, Black beer

Cons: Heat

probably the best vegan burger you will eat - Edit

It is hand made, variety of flavours, fresh, well presented and so tasty.

The champion burger was amazing. And the potatoes are really really good.

The place itself is a bar, but they get busy and always use fresh ingredients.

It is a must.

Incredible - Edit

The food is so bloody incredible, it's so worth the money as the portion sizes are really big, the staff are chill and the whole restaurant is so aesthetically pleasing. It can get quite warm in there however and there are limited spaces by the door so that's something to consider. All in all I would strongly recommend it, even if you do get a lil hot, power on through my friends.

Pros: Amazing quality food, Lovely staff, Worth the money for the mount of food you get

Cons: No air conditioning

Alright - Edit

The burger was decent but nothing special. Pretty cool place but probably wouldn't go back. More delicious vegan food to be had elsewhere in Barcelona.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-17

Pros: Quirky-ish

Cons: Expensive for what you get

Nice place - Edit

Nice place, enjoyed the live music and their tofu plate of the evening, friends enjoyed their huge burgers!!! Happy to after a while get a seat downstairs as the no air conditioning was very noticable upstairs. Could be more cats though... :)

Awesome burgers - Edit

This bar has attitude. They have rules such as no drinking at the bar, no table service (you order by filling in a form and leaving it at the bar), and delicious vegan burgers. All in all a really nice experience that everyone visiting Barcelona should try!

Pros: Good food for a reasonable price

Cons: Small eating space at some tables (we got pretty m

great food, groovy atmosphere - Edit

I loved this place! Really laid back and delicious food and beer and the waitresses were lovely. I had the black bean burger with bravas and garlic vegannaise and it was all delicious - and reasonable priced, too. Their was great music and really cool art. Would definitely definitely return. A must visit for vegans and non-vegans alike.

Good burgers, great sauces - Edit

This cafe is centred around burgers, with several unique flavour combinations. The patties themselves are of the traditional, slightly stodgy veggie-burger type rather than the meat-analogue type which are becoming increasingly popular. This isn't a bad thing, but worth being aware. The patatas bravas are delicious though, and the sauces which come with them are amazing.

Pros: Great chips and sauces, Good burgers, Fast, friendly service

Great Food, Great Opening Times - Edit

I absolutely loved CatBar! Not only are the burgers delicious, but they actually serve food all afternoon! If you're used to having your evening meal before 9pm, this is the place for you!
The Mexican Red burger was nicely seasoned and held together well. The Crazy Burger was also delicious, full of nuts and seeds, and topped with pesto. The potatoes on the side were nice too.
CatBar has a nice atmosphere and service was really friendly. We really enjoyed our visit!

Pros: Delicious, hearty burgers, Food served all afternoon-evening

Meow-ve on over to the CatBar - Edit

My partner and I spent at least 2 days trying to get in to CatBar as it's so popular - that is a positive! I work in the city so for me it takes another to make me go out and eat.
I was so happy to be here as it was one of the first places I wanted to go, we went at night (as I said, I work until gone 9pm) so we ordered potatas bravas and a hemp burger, I would have gone spicy but my partner would have probably died from the spice.
The burger is huge and the potatas braves were amazing, my partner wouldn't stop talking about them and he eats meat (gasp!) he still never found them better than here.
We also got the hummus and carrots, I don't think we understood the menu with this, that it was either carrots or pita and not both so we were a surprised but that's probably our own fault.
Drinks are also vegan which is great.
Option to play piano for 15 mins as well which is a nice touch.
The staff are friendly and it helps to say a little something in Catalan/Spanish :) just a thanks does well.
Most importantly no pressure to tip, there's a huge bowl where you can pop your money into which is a great idea.
Lovely unique restaurant/bar and well worth a visit as they're doing great things with delicious food!

P.s. there are no living cats on the premises.

Pros: Delicious, VEGAN, Relaxed

Cons: We misunderstood the menu

Tasty burgers - Edit

This is a place - kind of like a bar - with a very nice atmosphere and interesting and creative decorations. The portions are well sized and the burgers come with delicious and tasty fries. The ordering system can be a bit confusing but the staff is very helpful. Give it a try!

Pros: Good value for money , Tasty food , Nice vibe and good location

Cons: The bun was dry and not whole grain :)

Nice bar and burgers - Edit

Alternative looking place that has burgers and craft beer. My burger was quite big and juicy, pretty good for a vegan burger! They also had about 8 tap beers and 20 bottles. Service was decent, not super friendly but I was the first customer of the day. Would visit again.

Pros: Good beer!

Best vegan burger I have had - Edit

I have been to CatBar several times now, they have great beers, the gluten free one tastes amazing. I have tried three of their burgers but my absolute favourite is the Hemp Burger, it is the best burger I have ever tasted. It is also a nice cozy little place and you can bring your animals in :) Very good

Pros: Delicious food, Very nice beers, Good ambience

Cons: The place is a bit small but you usually get good

Very enjoyable! - Edit

It's my understanding that everyone LOVES the lovely blonde woman at the bar - and we did too! Such a great atmosphere, very laid back, helpful and friendly. The burgers were also very delicious!

Pros: Delicious food, Wide selection of different vegan beers, Inverted world map on the wall is love

Nicht besonders lecker - Edit

Ist eine ganz nette Bar die mehrere Burger zur Auswahl hat ( ich glaube es waren 5), Salat ( nur einen Salat) und angebratene oder Frittierte Kartoffeln. Burger sah gut aus und die ersten noch warmen bissen waren auch ok. Das pattie hat nicht gut geschmeckt. Der Salat war für mich eine Katastrophe.. Angemacht mit Olivenöl und das wars und oben drauf ein Klecks dipp. Die Kartoffeln waren wirklich lecker. Veganes essen haben die Spanier oder katalanier einfach nicht drauf.

Best burgers in Barcelona - Edit

Delicious variety of vegan burgers and great beers. Quite a unique, quirky place but great food and drink.

It is worth bearing in mind they have no air conditioning! It can get pretty hot in there. I had to take a couple of minutes to stand outside and cool down, but it was worth it for the food!

Pros: Best burgers in Barcelona, Great beers, Friendly staff

Cons: No air conditioning

Favourite place so far in Barcelona! - Edit

A small but cozy and friendly place! Serves 6 different vegan burgers, plate of the day, salad and some side dishes. We ate the burgers, plate of the day and patatas bravos. It was delicious and we could not finished all the food we ordered because we got so much for for that little of money. One minus is that the bills can't be spilt. Will definitely visit this bar again if I'm visiting Barcelona in the future!

Pros: cheap, delicious , large servings

Cons: bills can't be split , small

awesome! - Edit

We went "early" for Spain time and I'm glad we did as there was a line when we left! Two of us split Black cat burger and Mexican burger. Both delish and had great potatoes on the side. Hummus for an app and chocolate cake at the end. And the beer!!! OMG! Sampled many options at the bar and picked the yummy "Weird" beer. This was honestly my best meal in Spain. Great atmosphere, great food, happy staff and very friendly owner. I will go back! Repeatedly!!

Pros: all vegan menu with a daily special , offered samples to pick our favorite vegan beer, clean restroom, kind staff, happy people, great ar

fried - Edit

Nice place, music and friendly staff but foot is not we expected. Burgers are too oily. The place smells at fried oil.
Es fa estrany que et parlin en anglès, i acabes canviant tu d'idioma. Amb tot, com he dit, gent i ambient agradable.

Fun. Good food and good beer. - Edit

lovely little bar. Its great to see it busy. we had two different burgers and some tapas patatas bravas. delish.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday April 27, 2016

Pros: awesome beer range

Tasty burgers and beer - Edit

This isn't the place to visit if you want an al a carte dining experience but it is the place to come to if you fancy a great vegan burger with a super selection of Catalan beers to wash it down in a relaxed non pretentious bar in a great accessible area of Barcelona. I ordered the black bean burger which was very tasty and filing, only minor prob was that I asked for some adaptions to be made to the toppings which the chef didn't accommodate.

Pros: Tasty burgers, Great selection of Catalan beers, 100% vegan

Cons: basic toilets

Craft Ales and Vegan Pub Grub - Edit

During 3 visits to Barcelona in late December to celebate the beginning of another 365 days of animal free food consumption, the Cat Bar has unfortunately not been open due to annual holidays. Fair play, why would you want to work at new year anyway? However, on a 4th visit in April 2014 it was business as usual. As the name suggests, it's a bar, and there is a slight cat theme going. Cool and funky, great lighting and a fantastic selection of local beers at fair prices (€2.50 - €3 a glass). I would say food is very much secondary to the beer here but it's tasty and if you want a good value tasty vegan burger made with animal-free passion or 'fish' & chips then the Cat Bar is the place to go. There is a comfortable raised seating area overlooking the main bar area where you can chill for hours whilst enjoying the free wifi and the beer of course. This place reminds me of a great dirty vegetarian bar in Cologne called Trash Chic. Hopefully, someone reading this may relate to both and appreciate the comparison. Cat bar is fairly quiet during the day but comes alive at night. We even bought the bag to take home and show off our shopping in. Plenty of colours to choose from.

Pros: great beers, good burgers, nice location

2 Responses

CatBarCat We posted a signs on the shutters stating our opening times and included the CatBar map of all the other Vegan places within a 10 minute walk, we even replaced them after inconsiderate people removed them.
We also posted on our Facebook page, linked via this page, which said:-
"Cat Bar CAT Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 8:59pm
The CatBar will close at 6pm on Monday 31th December
and it will be closed all day on 1st and 2nd January. Happy New Year."
also the year before:-
"Sunday, December 25, 2011 at 12:38pm
Cat Bar on Holidays until the 3th of January !!! Happy New Year Kittens !!! MEOWWWWWWWW!" www.facebook.com/CatBarCAT
If you want a quiet Xmas and new year visit Barcelona,
nothing much happens, not even fireworks,
next Xmas we close and go to Barrow-in-Furness to party...

So yummy! - Edit

I loved the Cat Bar – it was my favorite vegan restaurant in Barcelona. The burgers were delicious and I miss that garlic sauce already. They also have a huge selection of craft beers!

Pros: awesome burgers, completely vegan , huge selection of craft beers

Dark and no to much cozy bar with no extremely friendly staff, but the food, if not has a wide selection, is really good, especially the burgers, all of them was excellent.
We don't drink beer, but they has a large selection of catalan craft beers and some import beers like the famous brew dog.
The worst is the opening hours, because they don't open till 6:30pm

Pros: Tasty Food

Cons: Opening hours, A bit pricey

Hamburguesas Fetén - Edit

8 hamburguesas veganas en su carta, de tofu, legumbres, frutos secos, verduras,picante, con pesto, blablabla. La variedad puede parecer pequeña, pero mejor poco y bien que cartas con 30 páginas y que todo sepa sospechosamente igual.
Las cervezas, son brewers y además tienen variedades locales. Probad su IPA.

Precio, las hamburguesas creo recordar unos 7€, las cervezas entre 3€ y 5€

Pros: Comida, Ambiente, Precio

Cons: Local con pocas mesas

[email protected], a vivir la vida! - Edit

El lugar es pequeño, cierto. Depende de la hora encontrarás más o menos gente de todas partes. Aun así es cómodo, con mesas grandes y sin chocar con el vecino.
La comida es impresionante. La hamburguesa Black Cat, de frijoles negros, lechuga, veganesa, tomate y cebolla caramelizada es lo MEJOR que he probado. Las bravas también están exquisitas, se nota que no son congeladas y la salsa picante es de vicio.
Tienen una amplia gama de cervezas veganas para elegir, además de la bebida habitual, claro, también vegana.
Todo esto sale más barato que otras opciones donde no puedes sentarte y charlar.
Como el sitio es pequeño podríamos pensar que hay mucho jaleo, pero no. La gente habla tranquilamente y no necesits subir la voz para que el de delante te escuche.
El trato genial, amable y educado pero también cercano. Imprescindible.

Pros: Vegano 100% , Creatividad , Deliciosa comida

The best vegan burger ever - Edit

I had to come to this place several times as the burguers are really tasty and amazing. If you like spicy try the mexican one!

They also offer really good beers and prices are totally fair!

You can't miss this if you come to Barcelona.

Pros: Best vegan

Super filling food to go! - Edit

While you can eat at CatBar, I stopped by recently to get some food to go on the way to a street fair. A massive burger and a side of what seemed to be home-made fries cost about 9€ and left me very intensely full, even with help from a friend. While this is a bit more than I'd like to spend on a meal, it's very unusual for me to finish one feeling so satisfied.

The "Mexican" burger I ate was delicious and filled with black beans, which are somewhat unusual in Barcelona. The homefries were enormous and clearly just made from whole potatoes. Also, the location is super central and convenient, on Boira just off of Via Laietana. Highly recommended for its wholesome, filling food.

Pros: location (right off of Laietana), for there or to go, incredibly filling

Cons: the wait for to-go food was a bit long, price is high for me (not objectively)

best vegan place in Barcelona - Edit

the place is cute as hell. All the beers are vegan. The food is absolutely fantastic. I wanted to go here again but I didnt have time.
The burgers are delicious!! I also ordered hummus which came with bread and carrot sticks. A good size to share for 2, maybe 3.
The atmosphere was geat, the food was great. Cant fault it.

Only thing is the door says they dont open till 6:30 but website says 7pm? Got there at 7 just to make sure I didnt wait around so I cant say which time is right.

Pros: amazing food, great atmosphere, customer service is great

Cons: doesnt open earlier enough

the best! - Edit

My favourite! I've been going to cat bar everytime i'm in Barcelona for the last few years.
Wide selection of vegan burgers and beer, perfect for taking my veggie boyfriend!
I don't eat burgers or beer, but the wine (organic) is great and very cheap and they have a daily plat de jour which is always gluten free and comes with a big tasty salad. The hummus and carrot sticks is also delicious.
Ron the owner is fab! very friendly and welcoming, and always full of recommendations. The atmosphere is great here and especially good if you like cats!

Contributions +32

Great Burgers and Beer! - Edit

I went here this past summer with my mom and sister (who are both not vegan) and they loved the burgers just as much as I did! The bartender was super friendly too with helping us find a good beer to drink with our burgers. The burgers are also huge - definitely a filling meal!

Pros: Huge portions , Friendly staff

Cons: Really dark inside , Not a huge selection

Meow - Edit

I visited here last week with my Husband who is quite new to the whole Veg/Vegan thing and we both loved it.

They have a simple but delicious burger menu and good size portions... I wish I could of had one of everything. We split a Black Cat and a Champion so we could try two along with some patatas and loved every bite.

Lovely people, lovely food easy to find if you check your maps before you head out. Really recommended.

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent value, Lovely staff

Great variety of beers - Edit

Very different kinds of beer but very interesting. You can take a little glass to test, if it's your favorit taste.

The music can be good, expect different kind of styles.

Staff is very friendly, we didn't taste the food, but it looked very good.

Nice atmosphere at night - Edit

Best place for those who want to enjoy a beer and burger. They let you taste their different kinds of beers if you want before ordering any. Loved their black cat burger. A bit small and can be a bit crowded

They have one of the best bravas potatoes I ever tasted

Super funky cat themed burger joint - Edit

The cat bar is owned by a real kind British dude. It's located in a quite alley and has 8 different local beers on tap.
The veggie burgers and bravas are out of this world.

Pros: Lots of beer, Fresh burgers, Excellent atmosphere

Local craft beer, great burger - Edit

I was recommended a local pale ale and had their mexican burger, which I have to say was the best veggie burger I've ever eaten, and I've tried a few! Relaxed atmosphere, great staff.

Good Beer, Awesome Food. - Edit

We've been to CatBar before for a few drinks, but have never eaten there; decided to on this visit to Barcelona and incredibly happy to have done.

Menu is pretty simple, but has a good selection, well priced and the food itself is incredible. We had burgers and bravas and it was all SO good. The caramlised onions on the Black Cat may be the best thing I have ever eaten. Couldn't move afterwards.

Staff are super friendly too.

Worth the search - Edit

Spend some timing finding the restaurant (map reading is not my strongest point) but when we did it wasn't a let down. Great selections of craft beers, and good choice in burgers. We both found them really tasty, and ordered a side of patatas bravas with it. Each. Should've shared, cause we were absoluty stuffed afterwards :)

Will definitely return to this place!

Pros: Great beer selection, Great food for good price

Cons: Hard to find

Good burgers - Edit

We ate here in october 2013. The burgers were ok, not great. I would go again and recommend this place to a friend though.

Pros: Good burgers, Friendly staff, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Hard to find

CatBar - Edit

A small, cosy restaurant/bar. The range of meals on offer is quite limited (about eight choices) but what I had there was good (ample portions, tasty and filling). I had the hemp burger which, at the time (July 2015), was listed as "new and being tested".

Staff were very friendly. The place is quite small, so you might have to queue but they do have room upstairs to relieve the bottleneck.

Well-stocked bar with plenty of beers and spirits.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Good food, Good location

Cons: Limited menu

cool name, good beer, food ok - Edit

Good potatoes with salsa, although not spicy enough for me.
Burger patty ok, however (cowever).. there was too too too much bread and not enough burger and spice. Did I mention the potatoes were ok.

Worth checking out if you are in the area.

Pros: potatoes and beer, beer, burger patty

Cons: too much bread.. cannot find the burger, not spicey enough

Great little veggie place in a nice neighbourhood - Edit

CatBar is a cool veggie restaurant/bar in El Born, a very nice part of Barcelona. They had a good selection of options to meet any dietary requirement. The staff were quite nice and the interior looked very cool.
Food itself was decent but nothing worth shouting about. I had read a blog post raving about CatBar and so perhaps I was expecting too much. A nice place but don't put it on top of your to-do list.
Seems like it is a great place if you're a vegan beer drinker, which I'm not!

Pros: Beer selection, Nice atmosphere, Big portions

Cons: Disappointing burger, Adequate service

Delicious Fish and Chips - Edit

In this place I tried their vegan version of fish and chips and found it really yummy and surprisingly convicent! (It was a little bit to greasy, though). My boyfriend tried the black cat burguer and it was awesome!

Worth a visit (or two, or three...)

Pros: Location, Food

Cons: Small place

Excellent burgers - Edit

Lovely burgers, even satisfied my omni bf! We had the hummus bread and carrot sticks for a starter which was big enough to share between the 4 of us (2 adults 2 kids)
I had the black cat burger which was quite sweet when you add all the caramelised onion relish they give you, Mexican burger was nice and spicy and according to my 10yr old the Champion burger is truly Champion.

Lovely atmosphere in here, we went yesterday and there was someone playing the piano and someone on guitar, visited a bit later this evening and it was much busier but still lovely.

The staff are super friendly And didn't mind our awful attempts at Spanish. Totally recommend this bar.

Pros: Totally vegan, Lots of beer!

Cons: No credit cards accepted

Disappointing. - Edit

I was excited to come here but I have to admit that I was disappointed by the food. I had a selection of tapas (hummus with carrots, gazpacho, patatas bravas with a basil and tomato sauce, and salad), my BF had the 'Crazy Burger'. Honestly I only enjoyed the potatoes. The rest was very mediocre and bland. Vegan food can be much better than this. Disappointing.

Also, we were charged for a bottle of water that we never received. We didn't bother saying anything since the server was clearly overwhelmed - only 2 people seemed to be working that night, one in the bar and the other in the kitchen.

Updated from previous review on Monday April 13, 2015

Pros: inexpensive, craft beer

Cons: average food, ok service

CatBarCat We are surprised that you were excited about visiting the CatBar vegan beer and burger bar, but didn't try 1 of our 8 craft beers on tap, or 1 of the many local beers in bottles, or even a CatBar burger?
No mention of the Cat theme? or the Jazz pianist? or the value of a vegan burger, hummus, potatoes and salad, enough for 2, for 12€?
The potatoes (bravas), double deep fried, are the best in town, apparently, so i've been told, I don't trust non-vegan places so have not tried many others myself.
The other side dishes (hummus, soup and salad (roughage)) and the GF(staff) plate vary each day according to the nationality and taste buds of that days cook, but there's never enough garlic in the hummus for a Brit...
Your water, did you leave it on the bar, did the bartender say it would be bought to your table and forget, why didn't you say anything, the bar staff never bite, we keep the scary staff in the kitchen until at least 11:30 pm, except for their cigarette/vodka breaks..
Also at meals times (between 8:30 and 11:00pm) there are always 4 or 5 staff, (3 or 4 before), always 2 in the kitchen.
RECOMMENDATION:- After a CatBar night (homemade "junk food" vegan burger and chips with lots of beers and live music (grab 1 of our 7 guitars after 11, or the piano before), we recommend recovering at the Blue Project Raw Organic Vegan cafe in the next street "Raw before 4pm, party till 4am"..
And the rumour that Morrissey will be eating here before his gig on Wednesday is just a rumour...

Great burgers and beers ! - Edit

I loved the atmosphere of this place. We had great burgers and great beers (beers are a bit expansive compare to other place in Spain but there are vegan. The potatoes brava were delicious. The service was quick.

Pros: Delicious, Cats on the walls ;)

Cons: No credit card accepted

good burgers and drinks - Edit

The burgers here are tasty. Maybe not the healthiest but not too bad. The fries were very greasy though. When you enter the bar you fill out a menu with what you want...which burger and sides, as well as drinks. There was some miscommunication and they didn't see that we had filled out the food side of the menu so we waited a while but otherwise service seemed to be quick. The location is good and hey have a nice selection of beer.

Best vegan burger and local craft beers! - Edit

Great ambiance, food, beer and staff! Located off Las Ramblas just opposite Jaume I metro station. We had nice vegan burger, mexican flavoured and great beer! price was moderate, portions generous. A must place for vegans in search of a burger experience!

Great selection behind the bar - Edit

CatBar has a great selection of local craft beers, with tasters available. Lovely staff and delicious food in generous portions. Nice busy atmosphere and great location. Look out for the live music! Had we not been previously completely bowled over by Pili Pile, this place would definately have had 5 stars!

Pros: Great craft beers, Good food in good portions, Nice atmosphere

They were closed for holiday :( - Edit

I tried Cat Bar twice on my visit to Barcelona. Both times, closed. It was end of Dec 2014/start of Jan 2015 when I was there so perhaps they were just closed long-term for the holidays?? I was so disappointed but I'll go back next time I'm in Europe. Even though I've not gotten the pleasure of eating there, rating a 5 sheerly based on theme :)

Love cat bar - Edit

I have visited this place in the end of november and absolutely love it! Catty interiors, very nice and helpful staff. I've eaten only patatas bravas as I wasnt hungry, delicious tho. If I stayed longer in Barcelona I'd definitely visit this place again.The only thing...not everyone (including me) is a burger fan, and would be great if place could offer any option, not only burgers.

Pros: Interiors, Friendly staff, Good vibe

Cons: Lack of choice on the menu

Slightly chaotic, but fun and friendly - Edit

The portions of food on offer are huge, the quality and range of beer on offer is excellent - there is a choice of around 9 taps available. We tried, for example, a spiced pumpkin ale, which was excellent if a little strong for a session beer. Ironically the Spanish speaking staff here knew less about what food was available than the English speaking - so might be seen as a little chaotic but not in a bad way as the staff were always helpful and friendly. It is very close to Jaume I metro station, so easy to get too as well.

Pros: Great range of beers, Good value, Friendly and helpful staff

Best burgers, run by an English guy - Edit

I love cats and good vegan burgers so I was quite excited to try the Cat Bar. The burgers lived up the hype, they were delicious. The veganaise was particularly good, my non-vegan partner was very impressed. He also loved the tasting platter of craft beers. It's run by an English guy, so obviously English is spoken there meaning it's great for travellers. The atmosphere was great, quite full but not too crowded, the only thing that could have made it better would have been some actual cats roaming around :)

Pros: Best vegan burgers, English spoken, Relaxed atmosphere

Yummy vegan burgers - Edit

Great vegan burgers with delightful bravas. I enjoyed having a wider beer selection than most places in Spain, and had a nice ginger beer that I doubt I'd be able to find anywhere else paired with such a great burger. Loved the paintings on the walls and the overall vibe. Really close to a metro stop. Only annoyance was lack of AC or much ventilation; it was rather hot in the crowded bar.

Pros: good location, great bravas and vegannaise, quirky vibes

Cons: a little hot, a little crowded

Vegan Comfort Food at Cat Bar - Edit

My boyfriend and I visited Cat Bar last night. The only options were burgers and sides, which was fine, but a bit more variety would be nice. My burger was delicious, I forget the name of it but it had aubergine and caramelised onion with it, although the bun did fall apart so it got pretty messy. My boyfriend had the Mexican burger. We both really enjoyed the burgers and bravas potatoes, plus the lager was good too. It was very warm and the fans didn't offer much relief, air conditioning would be a benefit, especially in the summer I would imagine. The decor was quirky and the staff were friendly, reasonably priced. I would go again.

Pros: Good tasty comfort food, Reasonably priced

Cons: Very warm, could do with air con!

Very tasty burgers - Edit

The burgers were good and there's a lot of beers to choose from, of which you can have a taste before choosing. Burgers came with potatoes or a salad, which made it a decent meal.

Pros: good food, friendly staff

Very good - Edit

I loved Cat Bar. I had the 'Crazy Burger' and a salad and they exceeded my expectations. The beer is also very good and they've got interesting flavours. There's an option to have a sample for one euro before you order one, and I recommend that you do before ordering the Cat Porter (strangest beer I've ever tasted). The staff is super friendly and the atmosphere is great. I'd definitely take my non-vegan friends here.

Pros: Delicious food and perfect portion size, Friendly staff & nice atmosphere, Lively neighborhood

Good deal, delicious burger! - Edit

This is an excellent choice of restaurant if you want something veg, simple, and tasty. Visited on Aug 1st, 2014. Had the bean burger and my friend had the nut and seed burger. We agreed that the bean was slightly better and the salads were fresh and delicious. Didn't try the potatoes because I avoid fried food and I forgot to ask how they are prepared.

So in the land of seafood paella, this is a refreshing option. Nice beers and cider too.

Pros: Not complicated., Good price.

Vegan bar with great food! - Edit

We went there for dinner just before 11pm and they still served food so we were happy to find them! We took two different burgers, one with vegan cheese and caramelized onions and one with a Mexican flavour. Both of them were tasty even if the Mexican one was very spicy! Be aware of that ;-). We found their potatoes really amazing and extremely fondant. Their salads and gazpacho were good too. The place offers a huge choice of beers and stays open until late. In terms of ambiance, it has an american style. Staff is friendly and the restaurant is well located very not far from Jaume I subway station.

Pros: great food, amazing potatoes, good choice of beers, friendly staff, very well located

Good - Edit

If your into beer this is probably a really good place to go, but the food is decent as well for those who don´t drink and want a good vegan meal.

Free wifi is good, if you want to strike up a conversation and be social this place is also really good, friendly staff. Limited menu is sort of to be expected, as it´s a bar not a restaurant.

Pros: Food is good, Beer if you drink

Cons: Limited menu

The first vegan in Barcelona - Edit

This was my first visit to a vegan restaurant in Barcelona. It is a small place fully of people that nigth. Specialized in beer. Good food. British owner makes english as predominant languaje. Mainly foreign customers. Good price and quality. To come back.
Updated from previous review on Saturday March 01, 2014

Pros: In the center of the city, Price

Cons: Quite small

le meilleur restau vegan de Barcelone - Edit

Un excellent bar/restau 100% vegan à Barcelone. Bien situé, ambiance sympa, les serveuses parlent anglais ou français, et surtout c'est délicieux!
Les burgers sont excellents, les patatas bravas sont à tomber!
Il y a également des bières artisanales pour les amateurs.
En plus de ça c'est très abordable, donc foncez!

Nice! - Edit

Big portins and a great variety of burgers to pick. I went there twice and everything was great both times.I would definitely go there again. I don't know about the beers, but the staff is very friendly.

Pros: Great burgers!

Beer yes, food no - Edit

Catbar has amazing choices of beers... bit around year ago they changed menu - removing home made sausages to replace them with not so tasty burgers.

If u look for a place where u can crash with friends for nice beer and expensive vegan snacks - it may work. For dinning - I suggest to avoid.

Pros: Location, Cats, Beer

Cons: Prices, Food, Service

Awesome! - Edit

I just ate there tonight and loved it! After having to get by on patatas bravas at regular restaurants and having a dud of a meal at a "vegan-friendly" establishment elsewhere in the city over the past few days, I was dying for a GOOD vegan meal, and I got it here. I'm stuffed! We ordered the hummus, carrots, and bread and the soup to start. All were delicious, but if I lived in Barcelona, I would come by for the soup and bread every day. Amazing! Then, we each had a burger and chips (patatas bravas are also available, but since that's been all I can eat at other places, I was ready for a change). The burgers are huge and delicious! Seriously. These are great quality, clearly handmade stuff. Unfortunately, since they were just reopening after the holiday break, only one dessert was available (a yummy banana muffin), but I could have murdered other options had they had those, I'm sure!

I'm not quite sure why there are reviews about surly or inattentive service. Everyone was lovely that we came across, and even when there was a rush, we simply went to the bar or signaled for assistance when we needed it, and we got it promptly. I even got talking to the one owner about French bulldogs since she had hers there (so cute!), and I am a fan of the breed. Everyone was super cool.

In short, this place was great. The cat-themed decor, the yummy food and beer, and the lovely staff made this a really fun (and filling) night. Thanks!

Pros: Awesome food!!!, Friendly, accommodating staff, Cats!!

Very Nice - Edit

Simple and accessible, this charming place serves artisanal beer and great food. Quite recommended even to bring with you non-vegan friend:) Service is efficient but welcoming. Smooth atmosphere, a piano player, cat paintings what more do you need?

Pros: Cats, artisanal beer, Vibe

Happy hungry vegan - Edit

Good sized portions. Very friendly staff. The pastas bravas had a cheese like sauce which wasn't cheese but was amazing!
To order you fill in a tick box form, which cuts out any language misunderstandings. Good idea!.
It's a pity the menu is mainly burgers and there was no vegan cake left.

It took a while to find the restaurant but it is worth persevering!

Tasty Burger - Edit

I had high expectations for this place, as they combine 3 of my favorite things: vegan food, craft beer, and cats. I was not at all disappointed. The Champion burger was seriously the best I've had in the past year, maybe ever. The fries were delicious as well. The vegenaise was so good I didn't even use ketchup, which is definitely a first for me. My husband enjoyed his burger, but thought it was a bit heavy on the raw onion. The portions were large, but we definitely weren't complaining. We went on a Saturday night, and though slightly crowded, we received prompt and courteous service. We tried several of the beers, and while the BrewDog was good, it was nice to have a selection of local Catalan beers to try. I'm just sorry they are closed on Sundays or we would eat there again before leaving Barcelona.

Pros: delicious burger, large portion, good beer

Excellent with a but - Edit

We must say we are not big fans of vegan burgers - here in Germany they taste all the same.... but we chose to try Catbar anyway because it is all vegan and we like to support vegan restaurants. We were so enthusiastic of our burgers that we went there twice! Really tasty! But we have a "but"...... the second time we saw serving Coke (yes, the original one...). Now, the place wants to be a little bit punk, they have a big american flag on the wall with multinational brands instead of the stars.... you should not serve C.ca C.la! it is one of the worst multinationals in the world!! After our enthusiasm we were so disappointed :(

Pros: tasty burgers, nice place, good beers

Cons: multinational brand's drinks

3 Responses

CatBarCat I personally can't understand why anyone would want to drink anything other than one the 8, mainly local, vegan craft beers that we have on tap.... or a nice cup of tea, but some people just want sugar water, and Coke-cola is vegan sugar water, and a lot of vegans drink it, if someone brings us an acceptable substitute, in "taste" and price, we will replace it immediately, but no one has yet.
There are now 80 breweries in Catalunya, making alternatives to the tasteless crap beer made by the only brewery that existed here 10 years ago, maybe someone will try to challenge coca-cola one day...
CatBar tries to ensure that every product is here is vegan,
and as far as we know only thing that isn't vegan is the piano...... and most of the customers.

Best burgers in town! - Edit

Don't listen to the previous 2-star review - the staff is really helpful and sweethearts. You just have to talk to them if you want to order, not just sit around and walk away in a childish way.

We mainly came here because of the food, and it really was delicious! Big portion, different kinds of burgers and extras ingredients like eggplants. I really love the spicy sauces they have around the table and the wide varieties of beers are also very tasty with the burgers.

Burgers are this big that you have to eat them with knife and fork. At least I recommend it, else it's getting a bit messy. ;-)

Pros: Huge portions, Good price value , Lots and LOTS of beer

I would not know - Edit

went there last Friday, 25th. we sat at an high table right in front of the bar which was totally dirty and wet. We were there about 20 minutes and during that time no service was ever offered. In the meantime the 2 girls working there lost most of their time chatting with a friend that arrived careless about the costumers and served second rounds to tables from clients that were already there before we arrived, but never for a second cared to help us or clean the table up. more than that, the girls noticed we were there and laughed at the situation between the two of them. Nowhere in the bar in any language whatsoever was it written that it was supposed to be self-service at the bar and they served other tables personally, even if it was they could at least care to clean the table.

when they opted to serve other patron that arrived moments before and sat behind us, we decided to pack our things and go. there was an advertisement for a beer they sell, saying it was the beer punks drink. I doubt any punk would ever drink at this place, the beers were more than expensive and the bar had a bourgeois kind of feel where it seems to be hip to be at.

I would give it a 0 rate but it seems the lowest I am allowed is 2 cows (?)

7 Responses

CatBarCat I presume you mean Friday 27th Sept as we were closed on the 25th.
The tables are cleaned between every customer, so you must have sat at a table that had just been vacated and the staff didn't realize you were different people, but you didn't say anything for 20 minutes???
The menu board states "you can be served at your table, but going to the bar is quicker", but even so you still have to indicate you want serving, one way to do this is by speaking to the staff, another is waving, we stopped using ESP.
Many customers continue to sit at their table, talking, even after paying and finishing their drinks, even after their glasses are taken away, its rude to do so in many countries, but normal in Catalunya, but we don't disturb them unless we need the table, even then we only ask them to move to the bar area, and as you were in the bar area you were left alone.
One of our 8 craft beers is called BrewDog PUNK IPA, we sell it cheaper than any other bar in town, if you want cheap crap beer ask the street sellers, there is also a bar in Poland that sells PUNK cheaper than us.
The Punks do drink in the bar, especially after they finish work in the kitchen, unless there is a concert or party in their squat.

willynwendy I appreciate the method that you keep of responding the rudest way possible to any negative review to your place. Yes, I meant the 27th but we also passed the 25th to find it closed. When we came in the table was already clearly vacant for a long time and the way your waitresses acted has no excuse. Also, I am an individual that is quite distinguishable from any other that might have sited in that table before us.

The menu board stated nothing besides beers' prices. We live in the Czech Republic where are literally hundreds of "handicraft" beers, as you say, and mini breweries and not even the most expensive in a similar place like yours is half the price as the cheapest one you had in your board. Do not tell me it is a Catalunya thing because luckily I was able to visit other places than your excuse of a bar and there were the same kind of beers for half the price, and no I am not talking about street sellers.

I also appreciate the way you distinguish punks as the slaves working in your kitchen, presuming that then they spend their slavery money in the bar after they finish cleaning your dishes. You guys clearly live off the fact that you state "Vegano" at the entrance and many people like us got you as the first entrance here on HappyCow because you are labelled as "friends".

CatBarCat The kitchen staff are "punks" not slaves
They do things away from the bar, a tattooist, T-shirts maker, artist, welder, clothes designer.
They decide when to work, the hours they work, what to cook.
Everyone in CatBar gets paid the same, plus all get free beer and food.
If all the staff want to attend an event, we close the bar, as on the 25th,
we closed on 12thOCT as the "punk" staff didn't want to come into town while there were fascist demonstrators in the area and risk being attacked by them.

I respond in the way I'm addressed, and giving 2 stars because you were incapable of buying a beer in 20 minutes, in a bar that holds 24 people with 2 bar-staff, when everyone else could, especially when you were sitting right next to the bar, is rude.
You think 8.25€ for a 3 course meal with wine is expensive, but for portions of 3 vegan ice-creams it's cheap.
You visited another vegan place, the cheapest, and complained that some of the food was cold, but didn't ask for another plate, which would have been supplied immediately.
You compare prices in Barcelona with Praha, but prices are half in Praha in comparison, but it will soon be equal.

You found us on HappyCow where the description says :-
Cat-themed craft beer bar with 9 taps and 30+ bottles of mainly local Catalan & BrewDog Beers. Serves a selection of vegan food mainly burgers plus wheat-free options.. LIMITED table service.
Do we match up to our description 4 stars, exceed the description 5 stars, Wrong description 2 stars !!!!

Since my 1st response I asked them,
both bar-staff did say Hi to you but you carried on talking to your partner and ignored them,
they passed you to take other orders and you didn't say anything.
They prepared beer 1 metre from you and you said nothing.
They kept looking at you from the bar to see if there was any sign you wanted to order but you indicated nothing. We are here to sell you stuff.

The "Friend" on HappyCow means we help fund this site

willynwendy I am the one who is not served, therefore I am rude. You just proved me right, so said punks do not go to your bar to have beer, they are given it for free even if theoretically that is not entirely true.

Thank you for checking my profile and lurking on my other reviews, I hope that was insightful for you and your business. It is a pity though that your reading and understanding skills are poor for if you read my review on Veggie Garden carefully you will notice that I never wrote it was expensive but rather that I thought it was a fair price. In retribution, I must express my gratitude for your economical insight and prophesying on Prague and Barcelona, even though you clearly have no clue of what you are talking about.

Now you already talked with your staff and they know all about it. Then tell them they should clean the tables and that to say hi to their friends, bring them food in a bag from the kitchen and talk with them about life does not qualify as greeting the patrons or offering to help.

As another reviewer already posted, you are not a restaurant and you are listed in the wrong category. You are a bar and you should be under Stores n' More. In that way you would never have been on my list and I would never have been curious to visit your place. And yes I knew it was bar, the description is indeed quite clear about it.

CatBarCat We have a 4 year old customer, she comes in, finds an empty bar stool, climbs onto it, then stands on top of it, attracts the bar staffs attention, by speaking, and asks for a juice and cake,

as you said "yes I knew it was bar, the description is indeed quite clear about it."

so we are curious about what you expected the bar staff to do for you, to get you to order a drink, which presumably was your reason for being in the bar area,
you knew who the bar staff were, and where they were, but didn't order anything?

manulaX1 Usually I'm not rude like this, but since I have been at CatBar at exactly the same day (yes, also on 25th when they have closed) I'd like to add following:

I absolutely can not understand willynwendy and her (his?) drama-queen bahaviour. Just because the gals and guys at the CatBars did not (metaphorically) roll out the red carpet for you, doesn't mean it's alright to discredit them in any way possible - and even complain that you can't even rate them lower.

Next time, just open your mouth if they don't get it in first place that you're here. It's not a four-star restaurant. It's a bar with vegan food run by punk rockers.

Veggie burger obsessed - Edit

So I'm pretty obsessed with veggie burgers and I'm a self-described cat lady. Burger and chips were really good. Bartender was really friendly. Definite stop for the Brit abroad. Only down side was my husband isn't a fan of veggie burgers.. (This is pretty much all they serve) His loss ;)

Pros: Cat themed, Menu full of veggie burgers

CatBar vegano - Edit

Came here with my very hungry vegetarian boyfriend and my vegan sister and we were totally satisfied by this unique place.

All of us had different burgers so we could taste through them and we really loved them! We tried a few different beers which were very tasty. Also the cake was delicious!

Our Résumé: *****
Delicious food, great beer, nice people and good live music!!! Really worth coming back soon!!!

Pros: Food - quality and quantity, great beers, live music, dancing

I’ll be back! - Edit

Best cow recommended, dog friendly cat bar in town! My partner and I were in the Cat Bar quite a few times over our three week stay in Barcelona. The food was great and the portions were very generous. I had my first introduction to Brew Dog beer there which I hope to drink again some time soon. The staff are all really friendly. There was good live music and a great atmosphere – very easy to get talking to people! I’m missing the place already and I definitely intend to visit again.

Pros: Food, Staff, Atmosphere

Just a burger - Edit

We were at the bar for a day menu burger with fries (15-9-2013). It was OK but nothing special - I liked the fries but disliked the burger. It was a good big portion though.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 16, 2013

Pros: Not expencive, Good portion

Cons: Not special, the taste can be better

visit again and again - Edit

We were lucky to get a table in this welcoming and funky bar. The menu is mainly burgers but some of the best burgers I've had. The salad starter was really good too. A massive range of beers, dogs are welcome, everything's vegan and its easy to find. It opens at 6pm. Recommended.

Pros: all vegan and all tasty! , great atmosphere , large portions

Nice GatoBar - Edit

- Ambiance: really nice, the vibe of the place is great and the staff very friendly. You even can enjoy live piano music.

- Food: a big burguer with fries. The fries were awesome but the burguer was a little bit tasteless.

Anyway, I want to try it another day and I'll update the review accordingly.

Pros: Vibe, Staff, Fries

Under a black cat mood - Edit

One word: AWSOME ! Didn't know what to expect as I associate vegan bars/restaurants with one of those too nice and too tidy places with no funky atmosphere. The Cat Bar is totally different ! It's like one of these small bars with character hidden in a charming narrow street. Interior is really cool. It is a busy bar what I like. Staff is soo friendly and eager to explain any details about food and drinks. And food...ABSOLUTELY AMAZING ! Burger dish is a HUGE portion of super food on a plate. Didn't manage to eat all though it was too much for me :) Enjoyed some local/organic beer and my girlfriend had some organic wine - LOVELY ! Live piano music in the background created unforgetable atmosphere. Prices ? We paid E25 for 2 burgers and some drinks - reasonable, even cheap I could say. Will I come back ? Well...I GOT SOAKED ALREADY - COUNT ME IN :D

Pros: Atmosphere, Food, Staff

Cons: Toilet (my gf opinion)

Interesting off-beat bar - Edit

I've been to this bar/restaurant a few times now. We stumbled upon it the first time we went to Barcelona in April 2012 and were so happy to find a vegan restaurant with an amazing selection of beer that we visited it every day of the holiday (3 days). The food was good with lots of tofu, if a little weird (it wasn't marinated and came in big lumps).

We went back in July this year for my birthday, this time for 5 nights. We were very happy with the cider options (1 v large bottle for only 4 euros) as 1 of us can't drink beer (gluten free), but not so happy with the almost exclusively burger menu, as this didn't provide much variety. However the chips - British style, were amazing! We tried the burritos, both gluten free & gluten full, the following day but were disappointed with the portions, especially the gluten free option which wasn't very burrito like at all, something like stuffed tomatoes and not many of them, though it was tasty. Staff were very friendly and I would recommend it for a quirky atmosphere, though not as much fun it seems as the first time we tried it.

Pros: A great variety of beer, great chips, quirky, friendly atmosphere

Cons: lack of food variety, small portions for gluten free people

2 Responses

CatBarCat Sorry about the small portions. It take a while for new staff to adjust to making our large portion.
Last year we had an amazing chef, cooking 3 or 4 different plates a day of 5 Star restaurant food at CatBar prices, but everybody just bought the burgers... she now has her own place in Copenhagen, and we mainly make burgers, but we do try to have a wheat free option every day.
Some nights a good fun with random pianist and guitars, some are boring, some too just too hot and too full...

Cat bar - Edit

I went there with a friend. It's quite small. The menu is ok if you're into burgers... We had something with tabouleh in it. While we were there a staff member arrived with a bicycle which she stored next to another couple of bikes at the back of the restaurant. Somebody was sitting next to the bikes and had to move her chair a bit. She and her companion left soon afterwards.

Cons: too small, bikes in the way

3 Responses

CatBarCat Note:- Customers are free to bring in their bicycles, children and dogs too, its much safer than leaving them on the street.
Also note:- if you sit next to the piano you may have to move your chair a bit when a pianist wants to play.
CatBAR as the name suggests is a BAR, actually its an Artisan beer bar with 9 Taps and 30+ local bottled beers, with vegan food, mainly burgers, plus 1 or 2 non-burger options.
The non-burger options are usually lighter, wheat free and are different every day. It could be a rice dish, spaghetti, Brazilian, Chinese, Italian, Spicy or smokey and if you don't like it we will always change it for something else, if a few people don't like it, it will never be on the menu again, and the chef sacrificed to the vegan gods.
If it's your 1st visit we suggest you try the Award winning Green, or the new Mexican, Burger.
The only posh "Restaurant" suitable for vegans in Barcelona is Teresa Carles Cocina http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=5884
all the others are low budget eating places and are shown on the Map on the CatBarCAT Facebook page, and reviewed here on Happycow.net

Deborah3000 The bikes were brought in and taken out by staff members when I went to the restaurant.
Bikes are a hygiene issue if you move them around the seating area of the restaurant. Comparing that to bringing in children is a bit strange. Catbar is also advertised as a restaurant on HappyCow so people expect food and not mainly beer.
I would recommend to vegans a restaurant like Veggie Garden which has an extensive and varied vegan menu and where you can eat comfortably without having to move to accommodate bikes or other things.
As I mentioned in my previous message, Catbar might be ok if you eat burgers but I didn't choose that option.

CatBarCat There are 2 options on Happy Cow, Restaurant or Store, we are not a store.
We are called CatBAR.
The 1st sentence of our description above reads:-
Vegan artisan beer bar and restaurant featuring 9 beers on tap, 30+ mainly local Catalan craft beers in bottles, Cat-ish decoration.
Veggie Gardens / Juicy Jones are good for traditional Vegetarian meals.
CatBar is different, its the place to, eat, drink, party, meet new people, with random musicians playing, but where everything you eat and drink is vegan.

Amazing Burgers & Fries! - Edit

I had read a lot of great reviews about this bar prior to going to Barcelona and was so excited to finally get to eat there. It’s located just a short walk from the Cathedral. It’s a small, cozy bar that specializes in vegan burgers and artisan beer. For our dinner we ordered 2 burgers, patatas bravas and the 2 most popular beers served. Food was great, staff was friendly (we even spoke to the owner for a few mins) and it was a great atmosphere for hanging out and enjoying good food and beer. There’s also live music.

Would Like To Try Again - Edit

Although I really liked the idea of this place (and the staff was very friendly), I'm sorry to say that I wasn't too crazy about what I had to eat. I would've gone back to try something different had I been in Barcelona longer and I would give it another try if I ever got a chance to return to Barcelona!

Pros: friendly staff

twice in three days - Edit

I was really happy to find cat bar through happy cow. I liked the burger so much we came back two days later. not sure why anyone is complaining about decor though i am more of a dog person I thought it was great and the people were really helpful and friendly.
I think we got charged for a water which should have been included in the menu del dia but i only realised once we left.
Love it and will come back next time

Pros: totally vegan, friendly people, good food

Mainly burgers! - Edit

I ate at Cat Bar twice on my recent visit. The first time was about half an hour before they closed for the night. The menu is all burgers once the menu of the day is finished and there are several differently options (standard, spinach, bean burger etc).
I was served pretty quickly and the food came fast and was good. It was a nice atmosphere and someone was playing the piano.
The waitress spoke great english and was knowledgable about the changing selection of draught beers on offer. (The thyme one was delicious!) They also have a large selection of bottled beers in a fridge behind you when you are stood at the bar.

Our second visit was for Saturday lunch . We were very hungry and it took a long time for us to catch the eye of a waitress to come and take our order although she then did apologise for the wait. The specials blackboard was hidden, propped against the counter behind a table of other customers but they then did bring it out to show us - if you don't see it ask for it when you are seated.
Again the food arrived quickly and was nice. We had a table right by the street so had a nice breeze and could watch the world go by.

The place is a bit of a dive but fine if you like that sort of thing. The toilets however were very run down with broken flush handles and the top of the tap missing (and water only came out while you pressed it so you have to wash one hand at a time. On the second visit neither cubicle had toilet paper and when I asked for some I was told one toilet clogs up so they are not allowed to put toilet paper in there - bizarre! I feel even if you are running a place with a shabby bohemian feel the toilets should be clean and functional.

Pros: Good food brought out fast after ordered, Great beer selection on tap & bottled, Staff spoke good english

Cons: Service can be a bit inattentive, Bathrooms need repairs

CatBarCat IN A RUSH, don't wait to be spotted, just fill in an order form, they are on the bar,(2 forms "Burger Menu" or "Menu of the Day") mark what you require and pass back to the staff, the "menu of the day" options are on 2 blackboards 1 by the door in Spanish, and usually 1 by the bar in English.
If you are not in a rush the staff will serve you at your table, but after the people at the bar have been served.
Also please, do not try to rush the toilet flushing, lift the wire slowly, about an inch and wait, do not yank the top off, the instruction are also written on the toilet wall.
The toilet pipe that clogs may be replaced when the building is replaced, till then we have to live with horizontal waste pipes.

Drinks visit - Edit

I drank alcohol free beer and my husband opted for the beer tasters. These were very small but a good variety of local and international beers including Scottish Brewdog! Beer was fairly pricey. Menu looked good and portions generous from what we could see of others meals and included a drink for about 11euros.

Catbar was a welcome find in Barcelona! - Edit

We were very happy to find Catbar. Catbar is vegan and reasonably priced and the food was good. We were somewhat limited because one of us cannot have soy and they have a lot of soy in their foods, but there was enough to eat that we went there twice during our week in Barcelona. Note that despite the hours listed on Happy Cow they seem to be closed on Sundays and don't open until 8pm other days so check the hours or call before going there. They are centrally located so that helps a lot. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. They have a good beer selection too and seem to sometimes have live music and that was nice.

Pros: friendly staff, good food

Thanks, CatBar Cats! - Edit

Visited CatBar over Easter weekend. It was fantastic! We arrived quite early as I'd seen from the reviews here that it was tricky to get a table, but there were a few tables free as well as seats at the bar. They have a smart ordering system where you get two pieces of paper and a pencil, you pick which menu you want on one and then give your exact specifications on the other. It's also order-at-the-bar service which is good in a busy place where the staff have to rush around :)

My bloke and I both had the Menu del Dia, which starts with soup -- it's only a small soup, but that's good, because there's tons of food to come! The soup was broccoli, cauliflower and lentil and SO GOOD! Then second course is a small salad... nice that it was not just from-a-bag leafy salad, it had lots of raw veggies in it as well as tasty polenta. Then you get the main event, which for us was the veggie burger and patatas bravas. Warning: it is a LOT of food! But so tasty. I agree with the poster below who says these are the best patatas bravas in Barcelona... I would be inclined to agree. The burger was also really good and came with heaps of salad, raw veggies and vegan mayo.

By pudding we were totally stuffed, but our very sweet waitress happily packed up our chocolate brownie dessert for us to take away. We sampled it later and it, too, was delicious.

The furnishings etc are funky, retro, a bit shabby and basic but it doesn't really need to be any fancier. They play cool music -- not overly loud -- and have a piano, too! We heard there are also quiz nights there in English? But we weren't in the area long enough to go :( The staff are also super cool, friendly, attentive. They were patient with us when we spoke Spanglish at them! We loved the place and will definitely go back next time we're in Barcelona. Thank you, Cat Bar Cats!

Pros: Great food, lots of food!, Lovely staff, Cool ordering system, lots of options

Cons: No cons!

Best veggie hamburgers in barcelona !!! - Edit

the place is really nice, warm and welcoming . the staff is really nice and knows english well (not a common thing in barcelona). the price is also very good for what you get...big and satisfying dishes.

Pros: friendly staff, located very good, amazing food

Cons: sometimes it takes long until the food , is served

Warm Young and Familiar Ambiance - Edit

Young cool people serving very good saytan burgers with chips desert could have a bit more taste was a bit dry

Pros: Good Menu, Ambiance, Wifi

Cons: Toilette, Desert Taste

Excellent - Edit

For a while, it was looking like this place was going to have to remain on the wishlist - I had tried to come here on a previous visit to Barcelona, but didn;t pay attention to the opening times, and turned up at lunch, when it was firmly shut. This time, we arrived in the evening, only to find all the tables taken, with no idea of when a space would open up.

Luckily, we took so long deciding whether to try somewhere else or wait around for a table at CatBar that we inadverdently ended up waiting around for a table at CatBar. The food was tremendous value - if I remember correctly, it was 10 Euros for a three course meal with beer (or another drink of your choice). The lentil soup was an excellent way to start, and I then had a seitan steak in a creamy sauce, which I thought was a little more imaginative than you sometimes get from meat replacement dishes. The dessert was the only slight blemish, with the chocolate cake being rather dry - although on the plus side, if you like it, you can have unlimited servings.

After the food, the place is also a very pleasant bar with a very wide choice of fancy artisanal beers from Catalonia and elsewhere - even if you're not eating there, I'd say it's a great bar to hang out in for the evening. Top notch.

Pretty good! - Edit

The staff were friendly and helpful but only once you can catch there attention; it was only when other people came in I realised it was table service!
The food was pretty good but not amazing, though I only had one thing so maybe I'll have to go back again to try something else. The beer was great and all in all it was pretty good value.
Loved the decor and the music! Would go back!

Pros: ambience, beer, value

Cons: staff

Quirky and Lovely - Edit

Love this place!
A vegan bar/restaurant serving vegan beer in the city centre: where could you go wrong? Perfectly situated just off Via Laietana near Placa St Jaume (Jaume metro, Line 4) this gorgeous place offers great food at amazingly reasonable prices. If you fancy a 'simple' burger there are plenty of options to choose from. If you have a bigger appetite you can order from the menu of the day: starter, main, dessert, drink and bread for just over ten Euros. Be warned though: the portions are healthy and you will need to be ready!
We ate a delicious mixed salad to start. Our mains were a vegetable wrap with sweet potatoes, carrot, hummous and a gorgeous 'carrot mayonnaise' and vegan 'meat'balls. Dessert was chocolate cake and a herb liqueur.
You can also take away from Cat Bar: we treated ourselved to a couple of slices of cake which were truly scrumptious.
It's not essential to be vegan to enjoy this place but it is well worth a visit if you are!

Pros: Location, Price, It's vegan!

Cons: Nothing

Really liked this place! - Edit

My friend and I didn't have a great time at Gopal, but we both really liked CatBar.

The staff were friendly and took their time with us and the selection of local beers is great. I asked for a dark beer and it was black as the night, really strong, full of flavour.

The interior is hip, clean and I felt very comfortable. I would recommend this to a friend easily. The food was alright, especially considering the price. The service was speedy too.

I don't really know what else to add... I think that the only thing I didn't like so much was that there didn't appear to be a huge selection... But hey, I was in a tiny place, off season.

Pros: Friendly staff, Affordable, Great beer selection

Best vegan food in Barcelona, best bravas in Spain - Edit

The interior of the Cat Bar is young and bright and the staff are much the same. Welcoming, friendly and they speak to you in perfect English if your Spanish or Catalan is less than perfect. A giant cat face adorns the wall as you go in. The interior is slightly quirky without trying too hard.

They welcome the four-legged ones into the restaurant - which always wins favors with me. Sweep was treated like just another human customer, and lavished with water and tickles. And they also have free wi fi.

I've always had little respect for the clichéd English people abroad for a fortnight sitting eating egg and chips and watching football whilst they read red topped newspapers, but Cat Bar is something far different from that. And when you've been in Spain for over a year, a bit of marmite on toast is exactly what you want. Sweep loves it too.

Lovely restaurant with a great ethos in a lovely area of the most beautiful city in the world. Thumbs and paws up.

See more here:

Pros: atmosphere, dog friendly, wifi

Cons: no health food, no smoothies

4 Responses

Disappointing - Edit

After reading do many positive reviews we trekked about 30 minutes from our hotel where none of the staff even greeted us, a couple sat down after us and had been served drinks before we had even been asked. The tall dark haired waitress was not friendly or helpful-even asking for sauces and cutlery seemed to be too much effort,more disappointment came when the food arrived the burger was tasteless and the bread with the hummus was so hard I thought I would break a tooth. A man (possibly the owner) was very helpful and friendly when we asked about directions-but even he didn't smile or greet us when we arrived)

Pros: Location, Home made chips

Cons: Rude/unfriendly staff, Food, Lack of ambiance

Yumm!!! - Edit

I had the special which was Arepas with beans and guacamole. The arepas where the best I have ever had, literally mouth-watering. The chocolate cake I had for dessert was incredible as well. Great food, HUG selection of beer and friendly staff. A great place to hang out and a terrific location. Menu available in several languages. A must in Barcelona!

Pros: Food!, Drink Selection, Location

Fantastic place in the Gothic Quarter - Edit

Me and my wife went to Barcelona on our honeymoon very recently and did not find many good vegan restuarants. But that didn't really bother us, because we found Catbar.

Great food and large portions (I was called champion by the waitress cause' i managed to eat all my meals from the 3 dish menu). The waitress we met was really nice and made us feel welcome. It's also a very cozy place.

Big ups for Catbar, I wish you would open in Malmö aswell.

Pros: Cheap, Excellent food, Nice staff

Cons: -, -, -

Vegan Big-Mac! - Edit

After over a year of planning, I finally made it to CatBar on 15Jun. I found a spot near the back and nestled in for my indulgence. The bar had a very funky, hip vibe. Loved the ambience and the decor. It was late and I was hungry and in a hurry so I just ordered the veggie burger. I haven't had a flesh burger in decades, but I do recall the Big Mac's special sauce, and this burger reminded me exactly of that... It was vegan comfort food heaven! So so good it was. I ordered a chocolate & some sort of apple-ish cake to go. Both were very yummy as well. I'll happily return one day to try more.

Pros: Open late, Delicious vegan comfort food, Friendly staff

Good food and beer! - Edit

The food was good and healthy, we went for the specials rather than the all day breakfast!. My partner liked her Punk Beer, the waitress was friendly, it wasn't busy. The Death of Thatcher Party poster made us feel very at home. Would love one of these in London!

Pros: Healthy, Not too expensive

Cons: Smallish portions

waiting a lifetime to get our dinner - Edit

we visited cat bar for dinner on our first night in Barcelona. The bar was full and there was only one waitress so we had to wait 50 minutes to get our dishes. The menu we chose included a starter, a main meal, drink and the dessert. I got an "english breakfast" with "sausages", beans and eggplants. Sausages were fried and pretty disgusting; my boyfriend got some goulasch soup with something which looked like fried dough. Actually, we didn't enjoy our meal at all, but maybe we just made the wrong choices. We had been waiting so long that we decided to ask for take-away dessert. Chocolate cake and hummus were delicious; staff was quite friendly.

Pros: cheap, excellent desserts, big portions

Cons: small , noisy

2 Responses

CatBarCat The "English Vegan all day breakfast" is DEEP FRIED Sos-mix sausage, mushrooms and tomatoes with Heinz beans on toast, great with Steve's Best Bitter.
The Goulash and Dumpling is a Seitan version of the East European classic, the Czech dumplings are a form of bread which is boiled not baked, our Polish and Czech customers like it with our Czech beers.
If you don't like the food we will usually change it, our menus are only in Catalan, Spanish and English but the regional dishes can be hard to explain,
I expect Haggis would be returned a lot..
Tuesday's free live music nights and Wednesdays English quiz nights esp. if its a big prize night, are louder than other nights, but it does mean lots of non-vegans get to try vegan food.
If you are in a big rush at busy times we are happy to direct you to nearby fast food takeaways with Vegan options "Wok to Walk" for noodles, "Maoz"for falafel and "Gopal" for burgers are all indicated on our "Vegan Guide to BCN" map,
or explain you are in a rush when you order, but your main dish may arrive before you finish your starter.

Bit dissapointing.. - Edit

I went with a friend that recently moved to Barcelona. There were just a few tables busy but service took quite long. Portions were excessive and for a dinner probably to heavy and greasy. The bartender a young friendly girl, was a bit lost, and left cleaning stuff in our table instead of our bread and they chased a couple questioning if they had paid.
I was very hopeful as there are very little good vegan restaurants in Barcelona, so to see a great possibility of a restaurant work like that was really sad.
We are not willing to try again, but maybe it was just a one of situation..

Pros: vegan

Cons: proportios, staff

4 Responses

marmot1972 I posted my review as well as the Vegetalia one (that you are still ignoring) the day I read your post in Facebook diminishing the rest of restaurants to give you publicity. (Quote "why people coming to work with us from all other vegan restaurants in Barcelona, serve so little in the plates" Unquote) If you need to do such a negative comment to give your place publicity is a sad image... Our visit to your place started in us the idea to have a vegan healthy space, where you can get proper healthy and organic food, with a naturopathy / dietist checking on the menues, instead of a ton of macaroni with cauliflower that could be used to build a wall. As per your staff, well I said enough on that day, maybe was the moon. We have been supporting all vegan businesses both in Spain and in Uk, as if you read my review there are too little places in such a big city. Places like Gopal, Juicy Jones, Vegetalia, Lujuria Vegana, La Estrella, Maoz etc, are always in my posts and recommendations to my non vegans friends trying to get a better understanding of what been vegan is, and obviously to my vegan friends all over the world. I wish you a long business life, and luckily there would be more vegan businesses open soon, just hope you choose to be a gastro pub, not just an Oxfod St. tourist joint as you seem to like to be.

marmot1972 I reviewed your place following my experience, terrible... But well I see that you cannot accept a fair review.. Sad... Check your facebook as you seem not to remember your words.
No Vegetalia is not mu supplier, i use Biospirit, they are still great.
Happy birthday, but as said in my first post, would be very careful efore going back there, furthermore after all this posts full of excuses.
Any time you wish for your review, we would not change our ways of working for a hatred threat as this. Grow up and accept there could be bad reviews if your service annd food are not good, and 1cth Feb evening that was a nightmare. Goodbye by now, no more replies from me.

Yummy! - Edit

Shortly after arriving in Barcelona, and in desperate need of food, we visited CatBar for lunch and it was fab. The server was soooo nice and friendly and spoke great English, so I didn't have to attempt to use my poor Spanish! We had the set lunch (9.50 euro each) - cauliflower soup, potato tortilla with beans and rice sticks, lemon cake, and fruit juice. It was delicious, filling, and just what we needed after our early flight from the U.K. We did say we would return one night for the infamous burgers, but alas, we never did. Ah well, next time! One thing to remember though - when you are offered beans here, they actually mean baked beans in tomato sauce (very English!) and not, as I presumed, refried beans, kidney beans etc. That gave us a big smile :)

Pros: Delicious, Good value, Friendly staff

Cons: Only instant coffee