Cat Tuong

Contact 304408308

Kastanienallee 89, Berlin, Germany, 10435

Small and casual vegan restaurant serving Vietnamese soups and rice dishes, variety of tea. Since May 2015 the kitchen became all vegan. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 2:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by sjkoen

Lovely vietnamese place - Edit

Me and my boyfriend were walking around Berlin and decided to try Cat Tuong restaurant. We've been to a few vietnamese restaurants before, so we decided to see how this one's food tastes.
We ordered different kinds of noodles, both with tofu and veggies. It was delicious, but not really I-will-fall-of-my-chair delicious, if you know what I mean. Maybe it was because we ate the same things at so many other places before or we should have ordered a more specific dish, not just the normal noodles.
Anyway, the staff was friendly, it looked like a family of mother and a few sons. Really lovely ambient inside too!

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-02

Pros: Great ambient, Really nice staff, Nice looking dishes

Cons: IMO not really memorable

Yummy Curries! - Edit

Cat Tuong is a lovely small vietnamese restaurant and 100% vegan. I had the Pho Cary consisting of a red curry with coconut milk, tofu, seitan, veggies and rice noodles. The portion was huuuuuge and delicious!

Full review on http://www.elephantasticvegan.com/vegan-berlin-germany/

Pros: huge portions, delicious food, 100% vegan

So good on so many levels - Edit

Great atmosphere, great service, great vibe and great food. Can't fault Cat Tuong. Our waiter was so on to it and really managed well with a humming restaurant. Really busy even on a Monday night.

Pros: Great service, Reasonable prices, Great atmosphere

Cons: Need more indoor seating!

Tasty and fresh vietnamese dishes - Edit

I recommend It!

I was in many vietnamese and chinese restaurants in Paris and I finally find this cool one in Berlin. This day I really wanted to eat good rice, vegetables and tofu. The dish I've tried was really tasty and tofu just perfect made. It make me changed my mind about caramelised tofu wich was soft, just a bit grilled but still fresh. I think you won't be disapointed and it could change your mind about vietnamese food!

Pros: fresh and tasty dishes, quiet and cosy, great service, really quick

Tasty noodle soup - Edit

At here yesterday, menus are in English which was a bonus for us. I had a spicy soup that was similar to a mild laksa and my friend had the Pho. If you are use to eating (vegan) Vietnamese would will find the flavours lacking here. The Pho was more like a western vegetable flavoured broth, lacking the cinnamon and star anise flavours. Both the spicy soup and Pho had noodles, veg and fake meat.
Overall good but not great.

Pros: big bowls of soup

Cons: doesn't taste like traditional Vietnamese, more we

Love Cat Tuong! - Edit

We're big fans of Cat Tuong, it's a great place to take visiting relatives – even carnivores, as they've never been disappointed in the delicious food here. A good range of food, all tasty. Friendly staff and a busy atmosphere.

Excellent! - Edit

I went to Cat Tuong for lunch the other day where I had a mango salad (+other vegetables, Vietnamese herbs and a mango sauce) as a starter. The first dish was already an amazing appetizer and tasted absolutely light and fresh. The combination was just perfect! As a main dish I ordered noodles with vegetables, peanuts and a soy sauce. It was hearty, tasty and absolutely satisfying! I can only recommend the food at this place. It's definitely good value for money with main dishes starting at ca. 8€.

The interior was super lovely and had a relaxing vibe plus the staff was very friendly. I will come again!
Updated from previous review on Sunday May 15, 2016

Pros: Super tasty and fresh food, Good value for money, Nice interior and friendly staff

Cons: none

My favorite vegan restaurant in Berlin - Edit

Healthy, delicious and fresh food, not too oily or salty, nice staff, cozy atmosphere. I love coming here with all kinds of people!!!

Pros: all vegan! and delicious and healthy as well, nice staff, great atmosphere

4+ - Edit

the food is amazing. reminds me one of my favs from cracow - pod norenami. if you're into asian cuisine you have to check this one. but price is too expensive for meal you get, i wasn't full after soup and main dish! big menu and friendly stuff. the place looks like normal restaurant and i was surprised they are all vegan.

Pros: very tasty, friendly stuff

Cons: too expensive, not big portion

Fantastic! - Edit

I loved the food ♡
We had a pancake as a starter and it was super delicious! I have to copycat it at home asap. The curry soup with veggies and so-soft-melt-in-your-mouth tofu was amazing. My friend had the cold noodle bowl with salad and tofu and he loved it too (and he's an omni).
Super small and cozy place, friendly staff: make a reservation and enjoy your life ♡

Pros: tasty as hell, cheap! , organic and stuff

Cons: n o n e

My favorite vegan place in Berlin - Edit

If Berlin is the Vegan Capital of Europe, then Cat Tuong must be one of its Politbureaus.

Whenever I am in Berlin I try to have dinner there at least once as many cheap vegan places in Berlin serve pricy junk food.
Won't hardly find a place serving food of this high quality for such reasonable prices.
From starters to deserts- everything I've tried so far was simply delicious, and you'll never go wrong with the daily menu.

And to the haters: My wife and I have been to Vietnam and I can't see what you are missing except for the fish sauce and the dead animals. We think it's quite close to the original kitchen.

Good, but expected more - Edit

We ate yesterday at Quy Nguyen. Compared to this we can only give 3 stars. The food was good, but nothing really special. We missed typical Vietnamese flavours. But service was quick and friendly. We would come back but maybe not that often.

WOW - Edit

This was certainly our best experience during our food tour through Berlin. If we hadn't been invited, we would probably not have had this place on the top of our list.
But, suprise.
Great food! We had summer rolls and pancake for starters and main dishes were served in a deep pan. Delicious, spicey and fresh.

WIne and Lemonades were also very good and the service was perfect!

Prices? I think this is the best value for money you can find in Berlin!

Pros: Fresh food, Friendly service, Best value for money

Cons: Too far from Hamburg, Small place, so make reservations, Addictive ;-)

Tasty and fresh - Edit

Very nice little place with friendly staff and really awesome Vietnamese food. Summer rolls, pancakes, soups and noodles, home made ice tea and smoothies, everything is very fresh and extremely tasty.

Pros: All vegan , Friendly staff , Reasonable prices

Best vietnamese food in Berlin. - Edit

The food may be the best vietnamese food I've ever had (don't miss the pancake! Or the summer rolls... Or the rice burger.). But the staff is a bit confused. We went here on two different occasions, and they messed up our orders (wrong food, missing courses, forgot about the tea I ordered) both times. Still, I will definitely come back here. The food is simply delicious.

Pros: Excellent food, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Confused/forgetful staff

Changed my opinion about Vietnamese food! - Edit

I'm actually not a big fan of Vietnamese food, but I absolutely fell in love with this place anyways!
Very friendly staff, nice interior and great food! Despite to the critique below I had a great variety of herbs on my dish and love the fact, that they also offer smoothies, even though I haven't tried one. But I'll definately come back and do so. Prices are alright. Not the cheapest, but standart for Berlin Mitte.

Nice place food was a bit bland - Edit

The food was ok, but a bit too "german Vietnamese" for my taste. We ordered a soup, a noodle dish and summer rolls. The summer rolls were tasty as was the peanut sauce. The noodles were ok, but the garlic was quite dominant (I do like garlic but for my taste it was not well balanced with the other spices and flavours). The soup was very creamy and the taste was nice but again I missed the herbs and spices that are typical of vietnamese cuisine. They have nice fresh lemonade and iced teas and the staff was very friendly . Of course it's great that the place is now vegan, so that's a big plus. The prices are not cheap but alright for that area.

Pros: All vegan, outdoor seating

very good dinner - Edit

We happened upon this place when trying for Lucky Leek (which was closed) down the way. In a way we were lucky it was closed. Menu had good choices and both of our meals were fresh and good. Both dinners were great, curry rice dish (can't remember exact name) was the best.

Return to Berlin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cat Tuong closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6359 times since Dec 2014.