Castro's Lounge

Contact 416-699-8272

2116 Queen St E (at Woodbine Ave), Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M4E 1G1

A small bar and lounge in the beach neighborhood of east Toronto. Offers an all vegetarian menu with both vegan and gluten-free options plus draught beer and cask handpumps, live music, bar and tables. Variety of live music from bluegrass, to jazz, to rockabilly, to alt-country and beyond. Hosts beer-related events.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Mexican

First Review by Ken4057

Great vibe, great surprise with the veg food - Edit

We were walking along Queen St in the Beaches on a summer evening and a band started up - we stopped on a park bench on the sidewalk to listen to terrific music coming out of some bar. After a while we decided to try out the place with the music - turned out to be Castro's Lounge. Tiny little place with great beers and walls of photocollage of leaders and revolutionaries and peaceniks (think Che meets John Lennon...). Best surprise: realizing when we were ordering food that I hadn't had to search for the veg/vegan parts of the menu - it was all veg/vegan, and my meat-eater partner didn't even notice or comment. We enjoyed our food, had great beer and a great time with the music. Okay, it might not be a "destination restaurant," but the food was good and it was a great fun find. We'll go back!

Pros: Great beer list, good variety of veg/vegan/GF options, Fun atmosphere

Cons: tiny place (fun, may be hard to get in)

Meh - Edit

The food was about what you'd expect from a pub. Nothing special. We went for veggielicious and the five courses were way overpriced for what we received. I appreciate the vegan options they offer, but it's not really a place I'd go for dinner again.

Cons: presentation, taste, price (for veggielicious)

BUSY! - Edit

Came here on a Sunday evening, and the place was packed and no one was eating. We had a beer, listened to an INCREDIBLE live band and then went to a nearby Pan Asian resto with a few veg dishes (naturally).

Will return someday and report back. I'd love to know how the food is.

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Castro's Lounge closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2074 times since Mar 2012.