CLOSED: Casbah

• Veg-friendly

Contact 912-234-6168

20 E Broughton St, Savannah, Georgia, USA, 31401

Serves meat, vegan options available. Dinner with nightly bellydancing entertainment. Has a few veg suitable choices, including vegetarian bastila, vegetables tagine, vegetables kabob, and a Moroccan salad. Note that the vegetable couscous might be cooked with meat broth - ask. Previously at 118 E Broughton St. JULY 2014 reported shut, changed to The Mirage.

Category: Beer/Wine, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by MistressSquirrel

Beware of the Vegetarian Dishes - Edit

While in Savannah, my sister and I decided to stop at this restaurant. I ordered a vegetarian dish and double-checked that it had no meat. However,when I started eating, I felt a little piece of meant. The server immediately came over, apologized and said she would talk to the chef ansd ask what was wrong. When she came back she informed us that the dish was "vegetarian" but that the vegetables from the dish had been prepared in a broth with lamb meat. The point of being a vegetarian was to not eat meat and I was disgusted that the food I had been moderately enjoying was prepared with animals. Ew! Never again.

Cons: Annoying Belly-dancers, Very Loud Music, "Vegetarian" Food

msmayz "Does this dish contain meat?" is NOT the same question as "Is this dish prepared with any animal ingredients, like meat, broth, butter, etc.?" The former is hardly ever sufficient and doesn't indicate to servers that you're veg*n (they can't read your mind!), and that's what happened to you. Honestly, it helps immensely when you just straight-up tell your server, no matter where you are, that you're veg*n because they'll watch out for you, talk to the chef before you order, and point out dishes that you can and cannot have. It sounds like you're either not serious about being veg*n or still learning how to navigate restaurants. There's a learning curve that we all go through at first, but to slam this amazing restaurant because of your inability to ask the right questions or provide the server with critical information about your dietary restrictions is unfair. You probably ordered the Vegetable Couscous, which, yes, is cooked in meat broth, as the description at the top of this page on Happy Cow, several reviews on the page, and Casbah's own menu points out.

Also, you listed "cons" as annoying belly-dancers and loud music? LOL. That's part of the experience and charm of this restaurant. It seems like you're angry and just trying to retaliate, on shaky grounds no less. If the music and the dancers truly bothered you, you would have been unhappy at this restaurant even if you had done your due diligence and ordered one of the several veg*n options on the menu.

I wish you the best and hope you learn to start asking the right questions so that you don't have to keep lashing out in anger for things you could have easily avoided.

Amazing atmosphere, excellent food - Edit

I love this restaurant. We eat here whenever we are in Savannah. The decor and ambiance are amazing -- you really do feel like you're walking straight into a super-fancy Bedoin tent. On the menu, several items are vegan. I recommend getting the Veg Bastila (it's an appetizer, but I have it as my entree because it's my favorite thing on the menu), the Veg Tagine, and the Veg Kabobs. Surprisingly, the Veg Couscous is cooked in meat broth, so you'll want to avoid that. Just make sure to tell your server that you're vegan, and they'll take care of you -- many are SCAD students and so they are understanding and accommodating.

The seating is low to the ground and has a somewhat communal feel. Before they bring your food, they will stop by your table with a silver pitcher of rose water so that you can "cleanse" your hands -- really lovely.

The live belly dancing is beautiful and fun, and the dancers will usually bring up a few patrons for a short interactive session and teach them a few moves. It's a blast! There's also a small retail area in the front of the restaurant where you can buy incense burners, scarves, jewelry, clothing, belly dancing gear, etc.

Pros: The Veg Bastila is DELICIOUS!, Ambiance is amazing, Convenient location

Cons: Expensive, Veg couscous is cooked in meat broth

Great ambience, OK food - Edit

We ate there at 6:00 pm on December 23, 2012. The interior of the restaurant is decorated such that you feel like you are in a bedouin tent. The belly-dancing adds to the ambiance. There is a ritual handwashing in which the waiter pours citrus-infused water over your hands. There were maybe 3-4 menu selections for vegetarians. We had the veg. bastla appetizer, the vegetable tagine and a vegetable couscous dish. It was good, and the portions were nice. The price was reasonable for Savannah. The wait staff was friendly and helpful.

Pros: convenient location, unique esperience

Cons: limited selection

Omnis were eating off my veg plate - Edit

I went to Casbah with a group of friends and none of them were veg, but once they tried my vegan bastila, they wanted more and some even ordered their own to take home. My vegetables kebab was good, but not great. However, that bastila more than made up for it. A very nice environment with fun, interactive dancers. One thing to note though for those of us who wear low rise jeans... the low seating can definitely cause some major crack exposure so be prepared!

Pros: Delicious bastila, Great environment

Yummy and Fun!! - Edit

Hey, I love any resturant that has more than one veggie friendly option. Now throw in some belly dancing? Sweet. If it's a small group (under 5), you probably won't need a reservation. The belly dancers are fabulous. And it's interactive, if you so wish. The only down fall is they give you a lot of starch on your plate (but that was true of the meals of my meat eating friends too). And the chairs are low to the ground (only a problem if you have hip or knee issues). But the food is always tasty. The service is great. Just make sure to ask what kind of broth they're using to prepare your meal with. And (unlike most "ethnic food" in this area) this is pretty dead on for Moraccan/Mediteranian food.

I completely recommend Casbahs!!!

Pros: Belly Dancers!, Great staff, Wonderful food.

Return to Savannah Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Casbah closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2428 times since Nov 2007.