Casa Hood

Contact 5932742668

Calle Luis A. Martinez y Eloy Alfaro, Correo Central (at opposite Sativa), Banos, Ecuador, EC180250

Serves meat, vegan options available. A lively art cafe that serves no red meat. Approximately 50% of the plates are vegetarian with several main plates being vegan or adaptable, marked. Some appetizers are also vegan. Has Wi-Fi, a book exchange and rental, movies daily. Mr. Hood is a native English speaker; English is on the menu. Mon 12:00pm-2:30pm, Mon 4:30pm-10:00pm, Tue-Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm

Category: Lacto, Ovo, International, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Stevie

Quite a few vegan options - Edit

I ate here several times while in banos. The menu is in Spanish and English and clearly designates what is vegetarian, vegan, and what can be made vegan. I found the food tasty and enjoyed the atmosphere. They also have good coffee. It is often busy with mostly foreigners. It's a bit pricey but I found that to be the case in banos with several things. Even though they have a large menu they also serve a main Almuerzo lunch so be sure to ask about it. It does sell out though.

Pros: Plenty of

very tasty and practical but ... - Edit

A good vegan-friendly adress where one can find a large range of vegetarian dishes which the most part can be made vegan (clearly indicated on the menu).

I went twice.
The padthai, the houmous and the "plato vegano" that I tried were very good. Each of them cost me between 3,5 & 7$.

However, when I was there and though I precised to want a vegan padthai (without chicken nor eggs), I had an affair.
The waiter, primarly didn't seem to be aware of the concept of veganism, and finaly served me the padthai with eggs by asserting it was seitan.. But the seitan in the dish had another distinct color and I saw the non vegan plate the day before so I was totally sure. I had to order to change my plate... The waiter never didn't admit his mistake, then be careful by ordering a vegan adapted dish.

Pros: vegan labels on the menu, movies projection, book exchange

Cons: must precise what vegan means, a bit expensive, fish & chicken

Pitfalls of eating at a mixed restaurant - Edit

After reading good reviews about the restaurant and reading the menu near its entrance which listed many items as vegetarian or vegan, or could be made vegetarian or vegan, decided to give it a try.

Ordered a Pad Thai and emphasized 'vegan' which my companion heard and the wait person wrote something on her pad after hearing 'vegan.'

Minutes later it was served. Before eating I noticed that some parts of it looked like egg (original dish contains egg) so I picked it up and gave it to my companion who confirmed it was egg.

The wait person offered to take it back and offer me the vegan version but I decided to go to Sativa Studio Café across the street which serves only vegetarian cuisine and had a very satisfying lunch.

The restaurant seemed trendy and saw many people, mostly foreigners, dining at it. The prices seemed high (the Pad Thai/Tai was priced at $5.75, about the same I pay for in Oakland, CA, USA) compared to places in Quito where I paid $3 or less for most vegetarian set lunches but might be on par with other nearby restaurants.

One reviewer had mentioned that her/his Pad Thai had lots of vegetables but my case those vegetables were invisible. Perhaps they were below the starchy whitish stuff that was visible.

Its apparent popularity shows that it has food many people like but as a vegan I have the suspicion that even its kitchen will be not so serious about food contamination issues. Thanks for Sativa which in spite of its limited menu serves only vegetarian cuisine, a supermarket on the next street parallel to its street, a farmers' market (Wednesday and Sunday) a few blocks away, and a few other veg-friendly stores, makes it quite easy for me to avoid mixed food places like Casa Hood entirely in future.

Updated from previous review on Monday July 28, 2014

Updated from previous review on Monday July 28, 2014

Pros: Menu in Spanish and English, Vegetarian and vegan levels marked, Nice interior

Cons: Does not seem serious about vegans, Mixed-food-restaurant issues, Staff needs more training re vegans

nice alternative style place - Edit

i ate lunch here a few weeks ago & unfortunately they would not adapt the almurzos menú for me. It was vegetarian & not vegan so i had to eat from main menú which had great choices & was clearly labelled vegan, vegatarian etc. I ordered a salad with buckwheat or something like that. It came in a bowl & wasnt very big but was nice & filling.I tried the other restaurant aswell & it was different but i would definitely recommend trying them both.I had burrito & juice & it was lovely.

Pros: good locaton, good choices, good labels

Cons: no vegan almurzo on the day

Chill hangout in tourist trap town - Edit

We were lucky to find this place on the same street as out hostel in Baños, with generous opening hours, nice coffee and vegan options clearly marked. The personnel was friendly but not all of them were sure about what made the dishes non-suitable for vegans. Not exactly cheap, this is still a good place in Baños, where most things are over-priced. Weird music choice but nice style.

Pros: Atmosphere, Friendly service

Cons: Somewhat pricy, Serves meat

Casa Hood, Banos - Edit

This place is run by one half of the former Mr & Mrs (I think the mr in this case).

Its not all vego by any means but there's plenty vego choice with those offerings clearly marked as such on the menu. Vegan items are also marked on the menu. The menu is in English and Spanish. I went for the plato vegan which was seitan, rice and salad. When dressed with the salsa sauce that was on the table, it was very nice. Other vegan choices included pad Thai, falafel, nasi goring and pasta primavera. The freshly squeezed mixed fruit juice was the business.

The vibe in the place is very nice. If this place was 100% vego I'd defo rate it higher than 3.

There's also Cafe Hood a few mins round the corner that is run by the former other half of Mr & Mrs Hood. I was a little surprised Cafe Hood wasn't listed on happycow when Casa Hood is. However having now also eaten in Cafe Hood, it doesn't appear as geared to veg*nism to the sane degree as Casa Hood. Casa Hood is defo better geared towards veganism of the 2.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Central, Open long hours

Cons: Not 100% vego

Return to Banos Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Casa Hood closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 971 times since Dec 2011.