Casa del Angel

• Veg-friendly
Contact 52-951-2229678

De Venus 117, La Cascada, Oaxaca, Mexico,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Coffee shop and cafe inside a yoga and cultural center. Offers a set lunch that includes soup, a main course, dessert, and drink. Also has an a la carte menu. Previously located at Jacobo Dalevuelta, Unit 200, Oct 2015.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Mexican, European, Non-veg

First Review by enRoute

My favorite restaurant in Oaxaca City - Edit

I found this restaurant while walking around toward the end of my stay in Oaxaca. I had the Indian food both days. It was very good. The second day, the Indian food I had had been left over from the previous day and the set lunch of the day was Mexican. However, I saw an employee eating the lunch from previous day and asked if I could also have it and they had enough left over so I could. Both times when I was there, the set lunch was ready at 12PM and it was still available the following day, but I was there in May during the very low season, so at other times the food may go quicker. One disappointing thing was that the description written on the blackboard of the rice said it was rice with dried fruit, but there was no dried fruit in my rice. Also the dessert one day was strawberries in the plural but when I got my dessert, it was one strawberry cut into very little pieces, so that was disappointing. But the next day they gave me a lot of papaya.

Pros: good, tasty food, whole foods such as lentils, etc

Cons: limited hours, one non vegetarian item -turkey sandwich

Nice place, in general - Edit

I've been meaning to add this to Happy Cow for a while. It's a cute little place, basically right between Parque Llano and Jardin Conzatti. They're well established and have been open since before my last visit in 2008. Tasty food which they call "Indian" but which is really something of a Mexi-Indian hybrid; nice – if unusual – samosas, rice, vegetables, etc.

A few things to note: like most places in Oaxaca which advertise "vegetarian" in their signs, they are *not* fully veg: they have turkey sandwiches and a few other items, so something like 80-90%. Keep in mind that some people may be hanging around who aren't staff so you may not be welcomed or acknowledged at first. That said, it's a great option for a veggie lunch in this part of town, and they also have some interesting products for sale. Also a nice shady outdoor eating area.

Finally, note that they don't have their set lunch ready until 1 p.m., and it's usually gone in a couple of hours. They do have set breakfasts though.

Pros: Tasty lunches, Nice location, Cute

Cons: Claims to be vegetarian, but isn't, Staff can be spacey, Limited options/hours

Return to Oaxaca Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Casa del Angel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 987 times since Jun 2013.