Casa de Tamales

559-275-9300

609 E Olive Ave, Fresno, California, USA, 93711

Serves meat, vegan options available. A local family-owned restaurant specializing in hand-made tamales. No lard used in the making of all products including the rice and beans. Offers vegan and vegetarian tamales. Previously at 3747 W Shaw Ave. Open Tue-Thu 11:00am-7:00pm, Fri 11:00am-8:00pm, Sat 11:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Delivery, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by angiec804

Authentic tamales - VEGAN! - Edit

It's slim pickings in the Central Valley to find menu items that are specifically labeled vegan. I am so appreciative that Casa de Tamales points out their vegan options. And the tamales do not disappoint. They are delectable!

Pros: Vegan tamales, including dessert tamales, Rice and beans are vegan too, Owner is friendly and helpful

great - Edit

It has good tamales offers a some meet some vegetarian and some vegan ?. Beans and rice were good as well... I'd say I really liked that their food did not leave an oily aftertaste and tamales were packed with flavor

Pros: good size tamales , big portions on beans and rice, the food is labeled vegan, vegetarian

Cons: parking was tricky since is located behind the bui

Amazing! - Edit

I just became vegan not to long ago & I was scared to try out new food. Good thing I came here bc the food is amazing & the workers are super nice! ??? I would suggest the Farmers Market tamale & they have a pretty good portion of rice & beans!

AMAZING!!! - Edit

Was driving through Fresno after coming down from Sequoia and this place sounded good, so we stopped for lunch.

This place was amazing!!! Nestled in some strip of college-y looking restaurants and donut shops, the location was kinda misleading. Once you're inside, they have a small menu with a handful of clearly-marked vegan tamales, and if I remember right, a chipotle lemonade that was really good. But when the tamales came, they were all great!! Super tasty, and several different types, including a dessert tamale that tasted like corn bread.

We thought about buying a dozen for our drive to the Bay, but opted not to. Kinda wished we would have now.

This place was definitely worth the stop. I only wish it was more convenient for me to pass through Fresno more to stop back in for more tamales!

Pros: Everything was so tasty!!!, Vegan items clearly marked, Great selection of vegan items

Cons: They haven't franchised to my town yet...

Very tasty tamales that did not disappoint - Edit

Made a significant detour on our way home from Sequoia national park because of all the reviews here. Guess we liked it since the wife ordered a dozen tamales to go after we stuffed ourselves with the two tamales with rice and bean combo. Our family eats a lot and we were completely full. The whole meal we kept on saying we should have ordered three tamales instead of the rice and bean combo. The tamales were that good. We tried everything. Staff gave us a complimentary sweet corn tamale which tasted similar to but is better than cornbread and resulted in a bigger tip for got them.

Pros: Excellent flavors, Huge portion of rice and bean combo, Very friendly and attentive staff

Cons: Little pricey but well worth it

Unique and very v-friendly - Edit

I love how vegan-friendly they are here: lots of different tamales, rice, beans, etc.

I'd never had tamales before, so I have to admit the novelty added to my experience. But even ignoring that, they were really fantastic--especially the chocolate!

We tried every vegan/veganizable tamale they had, plus the rice and beans. Farmer's Market, Mushroom and Asparagus, Artichoke and Spinach, and Savory Corn. All of them were delicious.

FYI, the website mentions a soy-rizo one, but they no longer carry it as of my visit.
The Farmer's Market appears to be a regular item as of my visit as well.

My personal favorites were the Savory Corn and Artichoke and Spinach, but that's really just personal preference. They were all well executed.

I also adored the rice--I'm a bit of a rice snob, and it was excellent.

The chocolate tamale was some of the best, moistest, densest chocolate cake I've EVER had. Loved it! We had to order it without the chocolate sauce to be vegan, but it didn't even need it!

Pros: unique, delicious, knowleadgable, friendly staff

Gem for Vegans - Edit

The vegan tamales here are so tasty, and I love that they have a nice variety. We loves them so much that my mom orders their tamales for family Christmas. The staff is knowledgable about what is vegan and what isn't. We can have the beans, and they make a great salsa/guacamole.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday February 18, 2014

Pros: Knowledgable Staff, Great food, Good Options

Vegan tamales - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow and decided to eat here enroute to San Francisco a while back. Here's my Casa de Tamales review.

It's a simple little restaurant located in a large shopping plaza that also houses a Food Co and an Old Navy store. Plenty of parking in front. You order at the counter, and the food is brought to your table. There is also a little window into the kitchen where you can watch the owners make tamales by hand.

The menu did not denote which items were vegan, so we had to ask. Fortunately, the young woman working at the counter was knowledgeable and told us which ones were vegan: cinnamon raisin, sweet corn, soy chorizo, and portabello mushroom & asparagus. I wanted the soy chorizo, but they did not have it that day. So I got the mushroom & asparagus and the sweet corn tamale.

The mushroom & asparagus came with a side of salsa-guacamole. It's flavorful though a bit salty for my personal liking.

The sweet corn tamale, however, was so yummy! I so enjoyed the sweetness and the soft texture of the masa. It was served with a slightly spicy green chile sauce--a perfect combo. I wish I could have taken some more with me.

Casa de Tamales seemed like a popular place with the locals who enjoy their tamales. There were many customers there when I was there.

Pros: get the vegan sweet corn tamale

yummy yummy yummy - Edit

This small family owned and run restaurant is so good. I get the jalapeno and cheese tamales with green sauce, beans and rice. (Which have no lard) Great service. You can order al la carte as well. Super good!

Pros: fresh food, vegan and vegetarian friendly, family owned

good vegan options - Edit

Very tasty. They make some better tamales for the farmers market which are rarely available otherwise. I'd come here much more often if they had

WOW - Vegan Tamales - Edit

My husband and I were in Fresno for 2 days and this place had fresh tamales with so much flavor! Their unique combinations for the 3 vegan choices were creative and as I said, exquisitely tasty. We tried all 3 - portobello & asparagus, savory sweet corn and soy chorizo con papas. OMG - we could not believe how great they were! I will be ordering frozen tamales from this restaurant to send to my mother in Atlanta - yes, they ship anywhere in the US except Oregon. What a find!

Pros: Flavors, Atmosphere, Friendly staff

Cons: Not all veg

Vegan Tamales - Edit

The Tamales are great, if you catch them at the Vineyard Farmers Market the special Veggie Tamale never disappoints and the sweet corn is very good also. I've had tamales both from the farmers market and the store, never disappointed. They are a little pricey but worth it.

Pros: great quality, healthy

Cons: cost

Yummy!! - Edit

The food is super delicious. The restaurant is really clean. The service is great. Really friendly staff. Love that they have veg options, the staff understands what vegan is and is very helpful. Would give it all 5 stars except that it isn't all veg.

Pros: Great food, Clean, Friendly

Cons: Not all veg

New favorite!!!!! - Edit

We love the tamales, beans rice all food is great very nice people. Also wed fri and sat they do farmers market and make a farmers market tamale that is veg and is great

Pros: Great food , Great service , Clean

Highly recommend!! - Edit

The tamales were superb!!! There were 3 different "veganizable" versions to choose from, all exceptionally good. And, they were fab in their own right, and not just because they were vegan! The service was superb, too. We felt welcomed as vegans; and the manager was a really nice guy, and totally hip to what vegan means. Instead of lard, they use canola oil. Spanish rice, pinto beans, many sauces are vegan too. You can even order online and have them shipped to you via UPS if you don't live in Fresno!!! If you dine in the restaurant, be sure to allow at least a half hour, since tamales are time consuming and they make them fresh. It's best to call in your order ahead of time if you expect to be served right away.

Amazing! - Edit

This place is a little jewel in Fresno! Several veg filling choices, as well as vegan masa, rice and beans. Everything delicious and bursting with flavor. Exceptionally attentive customer service. Give them a try!

Pros: Excellent food with a gourmet touch, Great, friendly service, great prices

So yummy! - Edit

Casa de Tamale was awesome! They knew what vegan was and had plenty of options. The tamales were wonderful and so fresh! We really loved our meal there and the service was wonderful. Everyone was so very nice! Would highly recommend to vegans and their non-veg friends as well.

Pros: Vegan options, Great service

Return to Fresno Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Casa de Tamales closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.