Casa de la Abuelita

Plaza Manco Capac, Aguas Calientes, Peru

Serves meat, vegan options available. Reported offering veggie choices, including beans, Mexican and vegetable dishes. Free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-11:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Pizza, Fast food, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Peruvian, Non-veg

First Review by hickman

Do not go here! - Edit

The only reason I tried this place was because Govinda's and Treehouse were both closed at lunchtime on a weekday, and El Mapi Hotel looked too expensive. I had to grab some quick food before making the 2 hour hike back to hydroelectrica to catch my bus to Cuzco.

I saw Falafel on the menu and I specifically asked "Falafel es un sanduche?" (Falafel is a Sandwich?) to which the waiter answered "yes". The plate comes with 4 pieces of falafel, 3 slices of tomato, and 3 mint leaves. I voice my complaint stating that I asked if it was a sandwich and was told yes. I get "buddy, this is how all falafel is served in Peru!" I state, "No, I've had a falafel several times on this trip to Peru so far and they've all been sandwiches." They then say that they can do my a favor and make it into a sandwich. Total cost $46 Soles = $14 US dollars, what a scam. When I was leaving he had the nerve to say "buddy, now you know how we make falafel here in Peru". The fact is that their menu is way too broad (Peruvian, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, Arabic, etc) to do any kind of food correctly and they're located right on the main square so they can charge whatever they want to tourists. Govinda's isn't great, but it's your best option in Aguas Caliente.

Updated from previous review on 2017-08-31

Pros: none

Cons: over priced, lie about menu, condescending

No fiable - Edit

Los gerentes de este restaurante no saben qué es vegan. La carta es inmensa pero no tiene nada vegan así que le pedí una pizza vegetariana sin queso y la mujer no lo comprendía, decía que todas las pizzas llevan queso y me puso muy nerviosa. Por suerte había un camarero argentino que sí sabía y le explicó. Me pusieron una pizza en la que solo metieron al horno la base y después encima tomate, champiñones y cebolla crudos!!. Un horror. Malos ingredientes y muy caro. Ese camarero dejaba el restaurante al día siguiente por lo que aunque me hubiese gustado la comida no volvería. Si eres vegan no es fiable en mi opinión

nice people, good food - Edit

not strctly a vegetarian restaurant, but they went above and beyond to make vegan meals for us---very nice and wrked with us even though Spanish-English language between us was difficult. I liked them enough and encouraged them to list on happycow as they were the most veg-friendly place we visited in this part of peru

Pros: nice people, reasonable price, vegan options

Cons: serves meat

Return to Aguas Calientes Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Casa de la Abuelita closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.