First Review by marcstevens

Nice food - Edit

We had a table on a small, covered outside area and it was a really lovely atmosphere. Service was very friendly. The food was good but I wish they had more vegan options. I had the artichoke starter and thought it was great. For mains I had the homemade sausage dish. The sausage itself was very tasty but the gravy wasn't really to my liking, I felt like the price was too high for just sausages and mash. The chocolate dessert was nice.

Pros: Nice atmosphere outside, Great service, Good food

Cons: Lack of vegan options, A bit pricy

A different and memorable vegan experience! - Edit

Every other weekend my partner comes to London and spend some time with. This secret Friday dinner was booked at Carnevale, which mean farwell meat:)

We had the falafel and the homemade sausage, it was delicious. This was the first time eating Vegan food from the Mediterranean. Worth a visit!

Cheers

one of my new favorite places in London - Edit

Loved the gnocchi (which is not vegan because it has cheese). And the risotto. The vegan chocolate dessert is worth the trip over here.

Pros: cozy, unique menu, 100% vegetarian, mostly vegan

Great food in a useful location - Edit

Despite living in London I had never visited Carnevale before last Saturday but after seeing a film at the Barbican Arts Centre we realised it was just 5 minutes walk away. What a good decision. It is small but was not crowded on the night we went. The food was excellent, mainly vegetarian but with a variety of vegan dishes. The home made vegan sausages were delicious as was the chocolate roulade. It is always a treat to be able to get a vegan dessert and this one was exceptional.

Pros: Excellent food, Nice atmosphere and good service, Good location for the City and Barbican

Cons: Not completely vegan, Small so could get crowded., On the expensive side

Fantastic Vegan Options at Carnevale! - Edit

I just spent 3 days in London for business and was so happy to find Carnevale! The restaurant is small and intimate and the service was excellent. They had several delicious vegan options and each one I had was delicious. I would recommend reservations for dinner as the restaurant was quite crowded each night. I've been a vegetarian for almost 20 years and this is definitely a restaurant I would highly recommend for both vegetarians and vegans. Prices are very reasonable as well.

Pros: Delicious food, Excellent service, Intimate and cozy

Cons: May not accommodate large groups

Disappointing - Edit

The first time I went to Carnevale I fell in love. The atmosphere, the decor, the food...all divine. This time I fell out of love with a crash. There were very few vegan options, the soup was luke warm, the rissoto was very simple and slighty undercooked and the bread was a little stale. Considering the prices, I expect a higher quality and something more than what I can make at home in 30 mins.

Pros: Great decore

Cons: Overpriced, Average food

Cozy place for couples - Edit

It's a very nice place for a couple, a romantic dinner or some quite chat with friends; there are very few tables (I ate there in January) and also very close one to the other, which I don't like too much. The food was good although not particularly creative, portions not exactly generous. The French waiter was very nice and helpful for us vegans. The prices were probably right for London, but too high in my opionin relatively to food. Absolutely worth a second try for the overall experience / atmosphere.

Pros: atmosphere

Cons: too "claustrophopic"

Delish! - Edit

Carnevale was the first place we dined in London and it set the bar high.
We didn't have reservations, so we were stuck at a small table outside on the patio. We actually didn't mind that since we were the only ones out there.
I ordered stuffed artichoke hearts which were sooooo good. I especially loved the caramelized onions that garnished the dish.
My husband got falafel and he really enjoyed it.
The man serving us was very friendly.

Especially delicious food and great atmosphere - Edit

I've been eating out a lot in London lately (it's great not having to wash the dishes)and have certainly had a varied experience. Some of the old established veggie places I always thought were good just don't hit the mark any more. But thankfully Carnevale is still as good as it always was. I hadn't been there in a couple of years but I'll certainly be returning much quicker and don't know why I haven't been back sooner! The atmosphere is lovely and intimate; it's a small, cosy place. And the food really shone when my friend and I went there a few weeks ago. The vegan choice was good, we had a yummy starter and my friend and I shared two really delicious mains, one, a mushroom pastry parcel, was extra special. It was the best dinner out I've had in ages. They've changed their menu since and the new dishes look very tasty too. I can't wait to go back. Keep up the great food, Carnevale!

Pros: Lovely atmosphere, Really tastu vegan food, Friendly staff

lovely - Edit

I went there last night (Feb 2010) with a large group of vegans. They were really happy to point out what was vegan on the menu and answer questions on allergies.

The menu isn't huge but the food was delicious. Even the "bangers and mash" which didn't look too appealing when it came out, tasted amazing. I had the panisse which came with a lovely vegetable sauce and quite a big salad. For dessert the chocolate raspberry roulade was amazing- one of the best vegan cakes I've eaten.

It's not a cheap place, but it's not too pricey either. A bit off the beaten track, but well worth a visit.

Pros: excellent food

Cons: small venue

Horrid service - Edit

Went to Carnivale in September 2008 one afternoon while me and my girlfriend visited London. We found it all right with a map, was right beside a market. When we arrived the door was open but no-one was home. A few minutes later the waitress arrived with shopping bags off the street.

Wasn't a great choice for vegan. There was a sheet on every table with a special deal which didn't mark if it was vegan. When I asked the waitress (which took a few attempts, she didn't understand what I was asking), she said she didn't know and asked if I wanted her to ask the chef (why would I ask if I didn't want to know???). After returning from downstairs she just replied No, so they weren't willing to adapt it to be vegan.

My girlfriend has IBS, and has a lot of intolerances. She asked for just a plain salad, listed a few veg she wanted in it, with NO dressing. The waitress pointed to the menu at a salad that was on the menu with stuff in it my girlfriend couldn't have. When asked if they could adapt, the waitress asked if we wanted her to ask the chef AGAIN!!
(it says on the menu they're willing to adapt at the bottom).

If we weren't starving we would've left by now so we waited. The food came ages later, mine was okay, but my girlfriend's salad came with dressing on it. I finished mine quickly and left, we were too pissed off and didn't want to ruin the rest of the day by arguing with the waitress.

Food was expensive as well.

Shame really because the interior was nice and the place has potential.

Cons: Waitress was incompetent, Unwilling to adapt, and expensive, Poor choice for vegans

Carneval - Edit

Nice little somewhat hidden place. Friendly service and the food is great.

Pros: nice staff, excellent food, healthy cuisne

Hidden gem - Edit

Although I live near London, I had never been to Carnevale. It is easy to miss; from the outside it looks like a shop and it is close to the city, an area that tends to be deserted at weekends. My wife, who is vegan, went on a wet Saturday night in June and it was half full. The people are friendly, there is plenty for vegans, including desserts (note the "s") and the food is beautifully prepared and presented. This is probably as good a place as there is for food in London. The only drawback is its size.

Pros: good feed, vegan friendly, friendly

Cons: small

Great for sit-down and takeaway - Edit

I've been to Carnevale (the owner tells me the name comes from the Latin for Meat and Empty, although he's not veggie himself...) many times, more than any other veggie restaurant because I work nearby. The sit-down menu is simple but excellent - doesn't change too often which is a double edged sword. The sandwich, salad and hot take-aways are so popular there is usually a queue out of the door throughout lunchtime. Nice kooky little place with good atmosphere.

Pros: Interesting & good food, Small but atmospheric, Good takeaway

Cons: Menu quite static, Very crowded

Return to London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Carnevale closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7663 times since Aug 2007.