Contact 504-875-4132

527 Julia St, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 70130

Serves meat, vegan options available. Makes traditionally-inspired dishes with vegan and vegetarian selections, such as the Carmo salad (rice, vegan smoked ham, raisins, avocado, cashews, almonds, pineapple, cucumbers, and scallions covered with citrus mango vinaigrette) and changing vegan specials. Mon 11:00am-3:00pm, Tue-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, Latin American, Non-veg

First Review by krock

Absolutely Amazing! - Edit

The staff at this restaurant were always nice and their food is incredible that I went here twice on my trip. Vegans and nonvegans should go to this restaurant!
Very cozy location as well in the CBD.

Pros: Lots of vegan options

Cons: street parking

Likely the best in New Orleans. - Edit

The people at Carmo really understand culinary arts. Every dish I've had there is outstanding. They use really fresh ingredients, so the flavors really pop, and the prices are incredibly reasonable. I'm so glad we have this place in New Orleans, and I honestly can't believe we have a restaurant with vegan dishes of this caliber here-- you'd think that this place would be in Austin, LA, or NY. The "meat" substitutes in the vegan dishes are the best I've ever had anywhere.

Pros: Outstanding vegan "meat" options, gf options, Incredible flavors w/ fresh ingerdients, very reasonable prices for what you get

Cons: No parking lot (you might have to use meter)

Enjoyed the plantain patty - Edit

Carmo's menu has enough unique offerings that it's worth a couple visits. Sadly, I only made it there once to enjoy the plantain patty, which was very nice. They were out of bananas, so I missed out on the cinnamon-sugar banquette. The line can back up a bit during busy hours since you order and pay at the counter before sitting down, but it allowed enough time to check out the exotic juice menu posted on the wall.

So good we went back twice! - Edit

Usually on vacation we like to try new places and don't often repeat, but with Carmo we did. A local who is vegan recommended the place, and while it is not vegan, they have many dishes that are, or can be made so.

The first time, I had a special, some kind of Syrian dish which was excellent, and my husband had the Carmo salad. The second time we each had a banquette bread. We also tried the banana cake and chocolate chip zucchini cake (vegan desserts).

Food seemed to have a lot of Caribbean and Asian inspired choices, but there was a mix of a lot of different types of cuisine. Everything was excellent.

Tropical Fruit Juice! - Edit

After spending several days in New Orleans for a conference and struggling to find vegetarian food, Carmo was a welcome change. They had several vegetarian/vegan options. Also, their menu focuses on Brazilian/South American food, which was a welcome change from all the other restaurants I had seen in New Orleans. I ate the Carmo salad. The vegan ham was not the best fake meat I've eaten, but everything was fresh, light, and just what I wanted on a hot, summer day. The real treat at Carmo was their huge menu of tropical fruit juices. Many of the juices are hard to find in the United States. I enjoyed a huge glass of Graviola (aka Guanabana or Soursop), which tastes kind of like a mild pineapple/banana. What a treat! I would return just for the juice (and want to try every flavor on the menu). The environment was chill, and a welcome change from the French Quarter.

Pros: Tropical Fruit Juice, Healthy, Relaxing Environment

Accommodating to my difficult self - Edit

This place is very chill and has a lot to offer. I was not as happy with the menu as I wanted to be, though. There were three or four choices for vegans, and nothing seemed to speak to me. Though, my sister really enjoyed her salad and if she were the one writing this, she probably would rave about the place.

Pros: Great environment

Cons: Limiting menu

Outstanding Veg Food - Edit

How good was this place? Well I'm pissed that I won't be able to give it 5 stars (they serve meat and happycow doesn't allow meat serving places to be given 5 stars).

This place deserves all five of them, however. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The food was so good that we've already made reservations to go back.

This is one of the places not to miss if you are veg and coming to NOLA.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 01, 2013

It is now 2014 and we've been back two more times. It seems to get better each time. The food was outstanding and the service was attentive and friendly.

We are also planning to check out their booth at Jazz Fest. It will be great to get some real veg food inside of the Fest.

Go to Carmo and you will enjoy your meal.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday April 30, 2014

And now it's 2015.

We've eaten there twice so far and it has been consistently great.

The only people who don't love the broken noodle salad are the people who haven't had the broken noodle salad.

I know we'll go several more times before we skip town this year.

Pros: Food, Staff

Cons: Can't think of any

Best vegan food in New Orleans!! - Edit

Carmo's is absolutely fantastic. I would have given five stars if the entire menu was vegetarian. My husband and I had dinner there after listening to live jazz at the Ogden on a Thursday night. The service was excellent. The vegetarian/vegan options were delicious. We also enjoyed the paintings displayed by local artists! We will definitely visit this place again next time we are in NOLA!

Vegetarian Gem in NOLA - Edit

This place really delivered. New Orleans can sometimes be tough for a vegetarian, but this place was such a welcome surprise. Their vegan gumbo was spicy and delicious, and the Esmeralda salad was an interesting mix of flavors. Will definitely come back during future visits to NO!

It was all right - Edit

Came here for lunch solo. The space is much bigger than I thought and has a chill vibe, which is cool. I ordered the daily plate vegan style — feijoada (Brazilian sausage-black bean stew on rice) — even though it seemed kind of spendy at $12. I was just curious to try this national dish.

It came out pretty much exactly as described on the menu: black beans with vegan sausage pieces served on rice with a little stewed greens, salsa, and two orange slices on the side. The most interesting thing for me was the sprinkle of farofa on top, which, I looked up later, was a toasted flour mixture made from yucca. The whole dish was tasty but too simple for what it was, the rice wasn't even brown rice, just plain white.

Aside from that daily special, the rest of the menu is actually also very vegan-friendly, which doesn't come by easy in New Orleans. For this I commend them.

Pros: decent food, vegan options

delicious! - Edit

This place offers vegan options for almost everything on the menu. I had what they called banquette bread which was essentially a super thin crispy crust pizza. It was made with Daiya cheese, vegetable and their own made meat substitute which was wicked good. I would happily eat it many more times. They also had about 4 desserts all of which were vegan- I had a vegan creme brûlée there which was crazy good and got a piece of Apple coffee cake to go was also crazy good! Delicious food, great staff.

Pros: amazing food, friendly, helpful staff, fairly inexpensive

delicious, heavy vegan options - Edit

Thank goodness for Carmo, serving a handful of vegan options on their Caribbean menu. The fermented tea leaf salad was a hit with our group! I'm a long term raw vegan visiting New Orleans regularly from Los Angeles, so the vegan options are still prepared heavyily in comparison. Though all delicious. That's the south, right?

Tropical kitchen - Edit

We had the "rico" vegan sandwich -- with fried plantain instead of bread. It was yummy, well-seasoned and fresh. The sauces and dressings are very good. The vegan gumbo z'herbes was hearty and satisfying.

They offer a selection of beers, sodas, wines, etc.

Pros: Spacious, casual restaurant , Fresh ingredients, imaginatively made, Offers vegan options for most dishes

Cons: Service is a bit slow.

Highly Recommend - Edit

This place rocks! Atmosphere is charming and comfortably casual with the friendliest staff. Old school family owned service for sure. The food is fantastic! Salads are packed with various unique combinations including mango, avocado and much more all very satiating. The juices were a complete surprise! They offer several freshly made juices from exotic fruit this tropical "born on equator girl" had never heard of. The one I ordered tasted like ACAI berry but it had another name. I'm loving that the world is finally catching up with this vegetarian...yummy

Pros: Salads, Juice, friendly staff

fresh & unique, gf options - Edit

Highly recommend trying this place, the salads are hearty & filling, the soup was excellent. They have sandwiches & lots of vegan entrees. Cute funky atmosphere & helpful staff.

Pros: healthy, gluten free options, juice and delicious cocktails

Great Vegan Food! - Edit

My husband and I stopped in Carmo for lunch on a weekday. It was busy, but the staff was quick and very friendly. My husband had the soup special and it was quite good. We both had the Rico for our entree, and we both really enjoyed it. The food tasted great and we left feeling completely satisfied.

Pros: Friendly staff, Delicious food

great vegan eats - Edit

Got to love vegan-friendly restos that are highly rated by omnis, too. Plenty of positive reviews on yelp and here are accurate. Tasty vegan eats. Had the Rico breadless open sandwich and it was delicious without being too spicy. The special of the day was calabacitas with mock chicken. Servings felt small because it was so good and I gobbled it down. Loved their selection of juices. Had a blend that was fantastic. Highly recommended.

Pros: flavorful

Cons: small portions

Love Carmo - Edit

Whats not to Love, Cashew Fruit Drink, Amazing(and Beautiful) Entrees, friendly owner, outside seating so I could bring my Dog too :]. Carmo, I love you. The Food....Yes. Oh and BTW, Their Handmade Brazilian Hot sauce has 5+ Brazilian peppers; IMO - Best Hot sauce ever; I tried to run off with it.

Pros: Bomb, So Fresh and So Clean, I feel Healthier(hard to do)

Cons: $$(worth it), I Want More

Gets busy, but food is good! - Edit

Small cafe in the warehouse district which has a lot of vegan options (many options can be veganized). I had the vegan rico, which wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be, but it was delicious!

Pros: Several options/vegan special, Location, Good food

Cons: Gets busy!, Not the fastest service

Loved Carmos - Edit

In a city with few healthy, vegan options, this restaurant is a treat for vegans. Soup du Jour on two days that we went was vegetable couscous -flavours were delicious. Vegan broken noodle salad was delicious. Zucchinni bread vegan and yummy. A relatively short walk from the French Quarter.

Pros: vegan choices, nice atmosphere, healthy and clean

A favorite of vegans in New Orleans - Edit

I heard from the owner that a large portion of the clientele are vegans or vegetarians. That is understandable as there are always good vegan choices. The food was delicious. They smoke their own mock meats.

Pros: vegan friendly, many choices

We were (and still are) thrilled to find a vegan friendly place in New Orleans that serves truly inspired dishes. Just because we're vegan, doesn't mean we have no taste buds! We're New Orleaneans at that, so we MUST have FLAVOR! It's in our DNA.
I dunno how he does it, but the owner/chef served us a devine smoky planain sandwich that just blew us away. We also had a wonderful, vegan gumbo that I have yet to duplicate in my own kitchen.
My only gripe about this gem of a restaurant, is that it is very small and the menu is rather limited. But hey, quality over quantity, right? While I do wish it was a bit more comfortable in the dining area,.. for THAT food...I'd perch atop a lamp post on one leg while holding my plate to eat that sandwich again.

Cons: small place, limited menu

Bravo, Carmo! - Edit

Don't have much to add, but wanted to echo the other reviewers who said this is a gem! If you are in NO for a conference, this place is definitely a golden lunch spot. It was a travesty I didn't discover it 'til the fourth day...
Not cheap, but very quality. The juices are absolutely delicious, and the food creative and crave-worthy.

It took a long time to get our food, but there was quite a lunch rush because of the conference, so I can't complain. Have a fruit juice and check out the paintings on the wall as you wait.

Pros: charming seating area, the fruit juices!, many vegan items

Cons: not quick

Best vegan food in NOLA - Edit

WOW! We felt like we hit the jackpot when we found this place. My boyfriend and I both had the vegan special (which changes daily) and it was some of the best food I've ever had. They also had 3 vegan desserts and we thought we died and went to heaven. The atmosphere is what I would call a "sophisticated cozy". The staff is very friendly and eager to please. I loved everything about this place.

Pros: Atmosphere, Friendly Staff, Healthy

Cons: Limited seating

Vegan hidden gem in NO! - Edit

I was in NO for a conference just last week and as usual I
was not expecting to find anything vegan in a city with
seafood restaurants in every block. To my surprise,
I found a few hidden vegan gems!
With a unique style deco, Carmo's menu reflected such character. It included various unique vegan dishes and exotic drinks.
I tried the Vegan Rico sandwich made out of a grilled plantain, vegan cheese, avocado, and topped off with the in-house made "rico" tangy sauce. It was delicious, the sauce and the avocado was a unique but delightful combination. I paired it with two glasses of Caja juice, a mango like flavor yet distinct, an excellent drink.

While enjoying my dish, I met a vegan couple from NY, Kate & Reuben who also tried the Rico sandwich. We had a nice chat about Carmo's menu and vegan stuff. They are very knowledgeable about veganism.

I'll definitely keep this restaurant on my list next time I visit NO.

Pros: Excellent food, Nice service, Know what vegan is

Cons: none yet

good food - Edit

Good food and the servers know what vegan is and are educated on the subject. ( some people in NO are not) good food but nothing to scream about. Quick service and very interesting seating area

Pros: interesting place, nice people, unique

Cons: ok juices

Nice place - Edit

Was worried about finding vegan food in a meat lovers paradise and was so happy to find this spot & it was close to where I was staying in the CBD. The food is super fresh and you have to try an exotic fruit drink or better yet have a cocktail made with one of their exotic juices- they were delicious too!

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Friendly staff

Cons: Not open 7 days

Eclectic and Yummy! - Edit

What a departure from the grease-ladened, breaded, fried beyond recognition kind of place you generally find in The Big Easy. I loved Carmo. The atmosphere is charming and eclectic, the staff friendly and helpful AND they have really delightful vegan food. I had the vegan-ized "Rico". Grilled plantain patty smothered in a mock pulled pork, salsa, cheese, spices and what I would consider the prime ingredient, love, this was so good I wanted to lick the plate of any last remnant! I look forward to going back before I leave and only wish I checked them out sooner so I could eaten there more often. Check out some of the galleries in the area. This is a nice reprieve from having to fight drunken tourists in the Quarter!

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Good portions, Friendly staff

go see the galleries and eat here - Edit

a "quick bite to eat" spot with fancy restaraunt quality. The pricing is somewhere inbetween tje two. Good fresh food and just about everything on the menu can be made vegan.

Pros: fresh, vegan, booze

Cons: pricey

Great food and friendly staff. - Edit

My husband and i are pescatarians with strong vegan leanings. When we were visiting NO in early Feb, we had a difficult time finding vegan and vegetarian food options that was not deep-fired, until Happy Cow pointed us to Carmo. We thoroughly enjoyed the Guo Tie and Acaraje. Both dishes have fish, but the menu says it can be made vegan or vegetarian. Please, check them out if you are near the art district, museum or convention center.

AWESOME!! - Edit

located just 2 quick blocks from my hotel, the concierge found this for me (did not come up at HappyCow under a vegan/vegetarian only filter search). Do not miss this place when in New Orleans. Warm and inviting space, friendly and helpful staff and VERY accommodating with special requests. Vegan options. The Rico was incredible. great balance of flavors, color and textures. A feast for both the eyes and palate. Will gladly go to again.

Pros: Fabulous flavor, Unique dishes, friendly!!

Cons: not exclusively veg

Great food, great prices - Edit

We got the vegan rico and the veggie special of the day, the creole bread pudding with veggie sausage. Both were amazing and very filling. They also both came with a side salad. The chef even came out to check with us on a few ingredients.

Pros: Unique choices, Good prices, Friendly staff

Cons: Crowded dining area

fresh and delicious - Edit

While in New Orleans for a long weekend, we checked out Carmo for lunch. I ordered the vegan Rico while Dirk and our friend ordered sandwiches. The Rico was excellent and so tasty! The sandwiches were good, but nothing special. Dirk ordered a bowl of coconut bean soup as he was still hungry and it was fantastic. The banana bread was also a hit with the guys. Everything was fresh and delicious and the service was friendly.

Pros: vegan options clearly marked, friendly staff

Cons: non-vegan restaurant

Great vegan sandwich & dessert - Edit

We chose Carmo to provide box lunches for a company event because there was one vegan in the group (me!). The menu made everyone happy, the quality was excellent, and my vegan meal, including dessert, was delicious.

Wonderful Experience! - Edit

I went to carmo twice in one week.

I had the vegan Rico (meat option also available) with perfect avocado strips on a fried plantain with smoked tofu strips and a sweet sour sauce :) AWESOME

I also tried the vegan ham sandwich. Although just a sandwich it was fresh and filling.

The banana bread is to die for, so moist and a nice big slice :)

The place is small but cute and has a wonderful relaxed vibe.

The staff and owner were all lovely, very helpful and provided great service.

Highly recommend this gorgeous place :)

Pros: Great service, great food, great price

Return to New Orleans Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Carmo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 11865 times since Jul 2010.