Caribbean Spice

480-361-7445

219 E. Baseline Rd Ste H001, Tempe, Arizona, USA, 85283

Serves meat, vegan options available. Caribbean cuisine restaurant that advertises "healthy comfort food" with a vegan section on its menu board in the restaurant. Items include such as vegan jerk chicken and vegan curry chicken, roti, veggie curry. Has tofu and uses Beyond Meat brand faux chicken, fresh juices. Cabbage and plantains are both vegan. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 10:00am-10:30pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Juice bar, Take-out, Caribbean, Non-veg

First Review by Tigra220

Tasty - Edit

We both had veg options and this food was all made fresh to order. The smoothies were so yummy and the food was great. Spicy but so delicious. Must try.

Pros: Great food, Friendly, Take out

Terribly greasy, far from healthy - Edit

I had placed a takeout order, arrived there at the estimated time they gave, and the food wasn't even ready yet. The restaurant was not busy at all, in fact, I was the only one in there, so I don't understand the hold up. To make matters worse, the food was ridiculously greasy and awfully bland. I don't understand all the hype and good reviews. I ordered the vegan jerk chicken and vegan curry chicken with sides of cabbage, beans and rice, roti, and fried plantains, and both entrees were just gross and laden with grease. The only items that were just okay and partially edible was their cabbage (would have been better if this wasn't greasy too) and their roti. I was looking forward to the plantains, but it seems as though they use unripe ones cuz it was starchy and lacking sweetness, so that turned out to be a bust. The only item that wasn't greasy was the beans and rice, but it was also bland like everything else, so not much to write home about. I would definitely NOT recommend this place to anyone!

Pros: Gave extra sides at no extra charge, Separate vegan menu, easy to read

Cons: Expensive, Greasy, Bland

Tasty jerk, probably not the 'healthiest'. - Edit

I stopped in and tried some Jerk Fish, and it was authentic caribbean with rice & beans, plantains, and plenty of kick. Tasty, but loaded with sauce and I'm sure not the healthiest option.

Great service, and the owners were very friendly and stopped by the table to check on things.

Enjoyed listening to some boisterous locals who were clearly from the caribbean themselves based on the accents.

I was a bit put off though when I put my arms down on the table and had to peel them off the sticky surface. Not the cleanest of places, but perhaps that's part of the caribbean atmosphere ;-)
Updated from previous review on Wednesday March 02, 2016

Pros: Spicy jerk, Vegan menu area

Cons: Not the healthiest, Not the cleanliest

Fantastic find! - Edit

I was searching for local vegan options close to the Whole Foods in Tempe. I was happy to find a place that seemed promising.

Upon entering the Caribbean Spice, it was clearly a little local place with charm. I was able to quickly order the vegan jerk chicken with a requested level of spice as well.

The service was prompt, in fact the owner/chef started cooking my meal before I even finished paying, which was appreciated. My wife ordered a mango pineapple smoothie.

When the food came, it looked delicious. I too got the side of beans with rice and the cabbage. The cabbage was much more flavorful than any cabbage dish I've ever had. The vegan jerk chicken was incredible. Honestly, some of the best food I've had in years!

Deliciously Divine Vegan Caribbean Cuisine - Edit

When I heard that there was a place selling vegan Caribbean food, I was so excited. Caribbean Spice did not disappoint.

They have a menu board, with a “Vegan Corner,” where they list the most popular vegan options, like Vegan Jerk Chicken and Vegan Curry Chicken. Other vegan options on the board included, Jerk Tofu, Veggie Curry, Curry Tofu, and Vegetable Roti.

I spoke with one of the owners and she went over their vegan menu with me:
They have Tofu or soy chicken (Beyond Meat) available as a vegan protein; you choose which.
Vegan curry comes in a tofu or veggie option. The veggie curry is made with chickpeas and curry potatoes.
Beans & rice are made with coconut milk; no butter or animal milk or broth involved.
Cabbage and plantains are vegan.
She said that they have a veggie patty that is vegan too.
She added that they cook everything fresh, so even if you don’t see something on the board, just ask for vegan.

They do not have any vegan desserts at this time. Per owner, they don’t use animal milk (they use coconut milk), but they do use eggs in their cakes.

I ordered the Vegan Jerk Chicken for $9.95, which comes with 2 sides: beans & rice, cabbage, or fried plantains. I ordered the beans & rice and cabbage, but with a side of fried plantains. The jerk “chicken” was beyond amazing! I spooned some of the jerk sauce onto my beans & rice and the result was heavenly. The cabbage was nicely seasoned, but it had more of a crunchy consistency than to what I am accustomed. It was good, nonetheless. My plantains never came, but it was ok because I was too full to eat anything else anyway. I simply asked for a refund, which was given without hesitation.

Drinks: ice tea, canned sodas (Coke products) and some bottled drinks. They have a juice bar as well.

Order and pay at the counter; they’ll bring the food to your table. I arrived around 11:30am. There was only 1 other table at that time, and they were already eating, so my food didn’t take long to arrive.

Cozy little inside. One wall is hand-painted with pictures of South America and the Caribbean Sea. The owners are from Guyana, so their flag is proudly displayed. They have a TV for the customers' entertainment. I really like the outside, which has a wraparound porch with tables; perfect for outside dining. Shares a parking lot w/ neighboring businesses. You can see their sign from Baseline.

Delicious vegan Caribbean food at a reasonable price. I’ll definitely go back; I want to try the curry too!

Pros: best Vegan Jerk "Chicken" ever, reasonably priced & large portions, several vegan options; not just 1 or 2

Cons: serves typical Caribbean meats

Return to Tempe Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Caribbean Spice closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.