First Review by zungi

Beuuurrrrrppppp :( - Edit

1 star cause I can't put none!
Disgusting.
We ordered fresh juices : carrot and guava .
The guys didn't wash their dirty hands prior to cutting and grinding the fruits.
And then went to get some ice cubes from a cooler that was outside the restaurant next door WITH HIS BARE HANDS!
We said "no thanks for the ice cubes", but drank the juice anyway.
Then we ordered some fried spring rolls, and a rice cake.
The latter was tasteless, but ok.
The fried spring rolls, were...disgusting! When you bite in one oily grease dripping, you can't stop but imagining what could be inside, and let me tell you the first thing you think about is not healthy organic food product! It's more like old rotten dog or at best an old piece of pork that was left behind from the last Christmas Eve or something!!😱
At least we didn't get sick afterwards.
Don't go there.

OK. Not especially good for vegetarians - Edit

We ate here by chance and had some oily veggie spring rolls and plain fried tofu. But the menu is not particularly extensive for vegetarians. it's a pretty stock standard menu for restaurants in the area. I'm not sure this place deserves a mention on the Happy Cow site.

cheap, very basic veggie foods - Edit

The place itself has got a lovely feel, set aside on one of the small alleyways in city centre! Seating is looking out onto the hussle and bussle of hanoi.... Quite real axing.
I ordered the veggie curry... Portion size was quite small and staff struggle to understand any other vegan requests. But for the price... Id probably eat here again :)

quick, cheap, and cheerful - Edit

We popped in to Cari Troung late in the evening - by Hanoi standards, when most restaurants seem to close at 8pm! It was very close to the Tet holiday so they were out of a few things on the already limited menu. The pho chay looked delicious but I was feeling a bit adventurous so I picked something that was translated as "rice pudding" on the menu but looked savoury and crispy in the photo. It turned out to be crispy fried rice cakes, deliciously seasoned and scattered with fresh green onions and fried shallots. It would be the perfect salty snack with beer but it also went down a treat with their delicious fried tofu in tomato sauce - a Vietnamese vegetarian classic.

In the old quarter, where there are few vegetarian restaurants, Cari Truong is a solid option. Sit on the bench seats on the balcony and look down on the action on the street below. Just watch your head on the stairs on the way up!

Cheap and delicious soup and tofu ! - Edit

I've been eating in this place around 10 times. The food and the prices was very good.
The place itself was very simple. They have nice balcony upstairs where you can see the street while eating.
The menu was small but the food was nice. Soup was very good and filling. I didn't manage to finish it.
My favourite was fried rice with veggies and tofu in tomato sauce (very good). Me and my boyfriend used to order it and share it. It was enough because the portion of rice was huge. It wasn't easy to ask for extra bowls so we can share the food but they understood after I've tried to show them what I was asking for. Even though they don't speak good English they try very hard to understand you.
They sell fresh fruit juices. I was asking them not to put any sugar and they understood it. Just have to be very clear saying 'NO SUGAR' ;))
I like this place. Especially when it is not so many cheap good vegetarian food options around.
I will add the picture of the menu so you can see it yourself.
P.S. The only thing that disappointed me a lot was curry. Wouldn't suggest that ;)

Vegetarian Soup at Central Location - Edit

Limited selection of dishes, exactly a third being vegetarian. I went there on three occasions and tried the two soups and the "Sauted Vegetables". The two soups were freshly prepared and pleasant. The vegetable dish was small and bland and required an additional portion of rice. An order of "Noodle rolled no meat" as a starter (also from the veggie section) was accompanied with fish sauce. Make sure to insist on a "chay" (Vietnamese word for "vegetarian") sauce from the very start.

There's Wi-Fi. Staff don't speak English, but have an English menu with photos. The service is sloppy (e.g. brings the wrong dish - and returns it to the kitchen, after it has been eaten from; or leaves in order to buy supplies after noticing they don't stock enough tofu to process your order).

Expect to sit with locals that eat smelling meat dishes.

Pros: very central, affordable, good to mingle with the crowd

Cons: not for very pedantic vegetarians, sloppy

Return to Hanoi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cari Truong closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1624 times since Jun 2014.