First Review by cykim82

Great location but a bit expensive. - Edit

This large restaurant is reasonably good. It has an extensive menu of tasty food that is also MSG-free. The staff were friendly and helpful and it is in an excellent location in attractive Shamian Island.
The menu is a little on the expensive side (40-50 yuan per dish), but this is to be expected given its location in a touristy area. The interior decor is an odd mix of Tibetan, Chinese, and Western. I got a little annoyed by the same music track being played on repeat during my time dining there.
Overall, I would recommend this restaurant for a group of people if you happen to be in this part of Guangzhou. Solo visitors on a tight budget best avoid.

Pros: excellent location, extensive menu, friendly staff

Cons: Expensive by Chinese standards, repetitive music

Delicious, friendly and good value Chinese vegetarian restaurant. - Edit

We had a really positive experience in this restaurant. The picture menu was extensive and the food was tasty and good value. As we were vegan we steered clear of the dishes that looked like they contained egg or dairy and we still had a huge amount of options to choose from. The staff were friendly, attentive, helpful and spoke English. It was nice to spend an hour wandering around Shamian Island slowly and then know that we could eat a delicious lunch. Especially considering this is such a touristy location, we were pleased that this restaurant was an enjoyable experience.

Was nearby, thought I would try. - Edit

Despite being the only customer on a weekday evening, I was ignored while the staff were either staring into space or reading a book. After about 15 minutes I stood up and walked out. Didn't really feel like any of the soy meat or mushroom dishes, so it was fine by me.

Pros: Large menu

Cons: almost all soy meat. eggs., Staff ignored me till I walked out.

Miserable staff - Edit

Although certainly overpriced compared to similar places in Guangzhou, the food here was actually pretty nice. I didn't like much else about this restaurant though.

Not once did I see any of the staff crack a smile. Ordering food seemed an inconvenience for them. And it wasn't because they were dealing with a foreigner; I was there with a Chinese girl. There really was just no atmosphere in the place.

The decor was somewhat Tibetan, but the bright colours didn't translate to any feeling. It just had a dry, almost soul-sapping atmosphere. It kind of felt like they'd read an 'Opening Restaurants for Dummies' book and just did exactly as it said with zero personalisation.

Still, like I said, the food was good. The menu (pictures, no English) included a good variety of Thai food. So if you're on Shamian Island and just need a vegetarian feed, and don't mind overpaying, then it's ok. Just don't expect it to rock your world.

Pros: Decent food

Cons: Overpriced, Miserable staff, No atmosphere

Nice vegetarian - Edit

I'm here on 16 sept 2014 , nice environment with Aircond and they food is nice. Price from 18 rmb an above. They din serve white rice must request.

Return to Guangzhou Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Carefree Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.