First Review by CourtneyM

Meh - Edit

We ordered the Phish Stix to start and about 10 minutes later ordered the fries, Volcano and the Veggie Burger. After waiting 20 minutes the waitress brought us our mains. We asked about the Phish Stix and she said oh yeah those are coming too. When we asked why we were getting our mains before the starter she acted suprised and said that she didn't realize that we had wanted those as an app (they are under app on the menu and we literally said we'll have them "to start") The fries were good, the Phish Stix didn't taste anything like fish. They would be better off selling them as chicken fingers. The volcano was a mess and the "meatballs" were undercooked and tasted like oatmeal. The veggie burger tasted like falafel which was ok because I had read some reviews and had been prewarned. The garlic sauce was really good and the outside of the burger was great, but the inside was mushy and undercooked. I sent the half burger back and the waitress did kindly remove it from our bill. Overall I'm not rushing back but for a vegan dinner at midnight after a concert, it wasn't that bad.

Pros: Location, beer

Cons: decor, food, service

Great food and service - Edit

I recently ate at Cardinal Rule . I went with my meat eating family. We all had amazing food.
Being vegan and gluten free was no problem at all. I had the triple decker with tofu , avo , lettuce , it was very yummy.
My husband had a veggi burger on gluten free. Also very good.
I went again and had the spicy Asian noodles. All gluten free and began. All very yumm-0

Pros: Great food, Great service

Hot, Delicious Vegetarian Pub / Comfort Food - Edit

I'm so happy to have found this place, because I adore hot comfort food (I'll pass on the cold hummus wrap or pasta primavera that most omnivorous establishments offer) and this menu has no shortage. Many vegetarian and vegan options, and they cater to gluten-free diets, too.

My friend and I shared the vegan fish n chips and the vegan pulled pork sandwich, which is a very popular special. Both were fabulous, including the gravy we ordered for the fries.

I need to go back soon, to try the brunch, and the VEGGIE VOLCANO

Red wine peppercorn gravy poured over pearl onions, seasonal veggies and meatless loaf towered atop potato & leek latkes. Zing
[Veggie, Vegan]
$12.00

Mmmm.......volcano.

It's a cute, casual little place that is sure to please both veggies and meaties alike. Servers are efficient and very friendly.

Go! Eat!!

Pros: Great comfort food, Gluten free options, Excellent, friendly service

Cons: Daily Mac n cheese isn't always veg

not sure what they are going for - Edit

I really wanted to like this place, I really did. As a bar, it's a cute and cosy local spot with fun character. Its actually a great spot to bring a friend for a pitcher of beer where you can actually have a conversation without yelling. But I find the food misses the mark. Some of the vegan options I have had are just a icky pile of salty goop. The breakfast is actually ok, but expensive at $10. their Tofu bacon is basically liquid smoke on tofu (very shoe leathery), they should really just use something pre made. I was also hoping it would be a good spot to bring non-veggie friends. But when I brought two friends with me, they both couldn't finish their burgers. I think this place could improve if they dialed back the salt, but I don't know, I feel like this will just be a spot I take friends to for a drink not dinner.

Pros: vegan options clearly marked, nice spot for a beer

Cons: too salty, could improve food

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cardinal Rule Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.