Caravan of Dreams

Contact 212-254-1613

405 E 6th St (at Avenue A, East Village, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10009

New York vegan restaurant serving organic food, cooked and raw, also raw desserts. Mon-Fri 11:00am-11:00pm, Sun 11:00am-11:00pm, Sat 11:00am-12:00am

Category: Vegan, American, International, Organic, Raw, Take-out, Catering, Fusion, Kosher

First Review by bullcityveg

gret! - Edit

Very great restaurant - menue is amazing, interesting smoothie mixtures, people there really know what they are doing and what is good for you, your soul and the environment. I had a absolutly delicious meal with perfect seitan, avocados, self made vegan kefir cheese and it came with starter and yummy kale salad.

Staff was really friendly, music was great. Good place to go for dinner in the evening, but in the day is fine too.
Recommended!

Pros: food choices, friendly staff

Delicious - Edit

This restaurant is just amazing! Great neighborhood, cozy atmosphere and very friendly staff. And the most important part; the food is awesome delicious! I've been there two times so far and always tried different dishes. Everything was always perfect!

this Place Rocks! - Edit

The only thing wrong with this restaurant is that it's not on my neighborhood! Please open one in kips Bay Area. It's great and had been for years. Bring back the piano player!

Pros: atmosphere , food

Cons: nothing

Required Eating for Every NYC Vegan - Edit

Caravan of Dreams has a fantastic ambiance and truly delicious vegan food. The restaurant has been around for a long time, and the quality of service and food has remained stellar. The tofu scrambled for brunch and seitan taquitos for dinner are not to be missed. I had my first ever "live" dessert at Caravan of Dreams, a delicious pie that is among the best vegan desserts I have ever tasted. The standout dessert at COD was the Rice Dream Pie, which sadly I believe is no longer on the menu: Rice Dream Frozen Dessert, crushed cookies, house made berry sauce and a hard chocolate shell. My husband and I were last here on Valentine's Day; I highly recommend a visit and plan myself to go back to Caravan of Dreams in the near future.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday April 21, 2015

Pros: Atmosphere (live music), Live Entrees and Desserts, Service

Don't miss out! - Edit

There are so many great vegan choices in NYC, but you really should try to get to Caravan.

Cosy, friendly atmosphere with an interesting and varied menu. The non-raw ravioli is amazing (I've not tried the raw version), but isn't always available.

The deserts on my last visit were a bit lack lustre, but still nice.

Pros: Lovely atmosphere, Friendly staff, Great food

Cons: Moderately expensive

Great atmosphere - Edit

We had dinner at this location and really enjoyed it! Nice staff and really nice and casual atmosphere. The food was delicious! I'll go there again next time when I'm in New York...

Pros: Great atmosphere, Great food

Cons: Pricy

Lots of choices - good portions - Edit

My friend and I split the beet "ravioli," Thai avocado salad, and risotto croquettes. Everything was great and flavorful. Huge avocado on the salad. There were a lot of other things on the menu I wanted to try. Only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because it seemed a little expensive.

Pros: atmosphere (cozy and warm), lots of menu choices

Cons: bit expensive

Disappointed - Edit

Writing this review saddens me. I went there because I'm a huge NY HC fan and John Joseph of the Cro Mags loves this place so I had high hopes (sorry to bore you with my love for hardcore at this point). It was a cold and rainy day so I thought a lentil soup would be perfect. It was good but honestly something I throw together on a Tuesday night when I'm uninspired and have some leftover broth suitable veggies. But ok, the far bigger disappointment was the Applewood Smoked Tofu which strongly reminded me of back when I first started using tofu and desperately tried to get some taste in that stuff. It was two pieces of (excellent bread) with giant and very greasy slabs of tofu. Not great, sorry. Not fun to eat either. The salad was the highlight of the meal for me. I do want to add though that from overhearing the conversation of the server with the people next to me I fear I might have ordered the wrong thing and that other dishes are far better than that greasy uninspired mess.

Pros: great salad dressing

Cons: stay away from the Applewood Smoked Tofu, not as creative as expected

Great, but Could Be Better - Edit

I went here on Sunday Feb 2, 2014 for brunch. It wasn't too crowded and the atmosphere was quaint and comfy. The wait staff was attentive and friendly. I ordered their (vegan) Chai Latte as well as their (vegan) French Toast with in-house made Nutella. While both were delicious, for $25 (tip included), I wasn't thaaat impressed. Maybe I ordered the wrong thing because others in my group got the French Toast and felt the same way. Personally, the French Toast at V-Note on the UES is better and I've heard Blossom's is as well (although I have yet to try it).

The women who ordered different dishes seemed to enjoy them more. So if there is a next time, I'll know to order something else. I could smell other dishes cooking/what others were eating in the restaurant and they smelled delicious so maybe I just ordered the wrong thing.

SO I'm still giving them a four in hopes that it was just the dish I chose.

Pros: Not crowded, Friendly staff, Nutritious food

Cons: A little pricey, Not that impressed

My favorite restaurant in NYC! - Edit

I wish I could afford to go to Caravan of Dreams every day and for every meal. Although I'm not a raw vegan, I love how many raw options there are, and always take advantage of their raw dishes -- last time split the raw sampler platter with a friend, and had the raw quesadilla (so much food!) and a raw acai pie for dessert. Every single thing was brilliant, including the atmosphere -- a warm, wood-grain, candle-lit, hippie's basement, complete with live music and an in-house tarot card reader! Worth every penny, and I can't wait to go back!

Pros: JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING

Cons: Expensive

Nice place! - Edit

Caravan of dreams is a good name for this vegan restaurant offering a very good vegan food. From main course to dessert, I enjoyed a lot my lunch (a stir fry and an mango-coco pie). Staff was friendly and the place has a really pleasant atmosphere. It could be a little bit crowded so you should reserve to be sure to have a seat.

Pros: excellent food, nice atmosphere, friendly staff

Cons: may be crowded

Excellent place - Edit

I have been here many times over the past number of years and have always found the food to be excellent, and I have not had any problems with the service. This is one of the finest restaurants the area .

Pros: excellent food

diverse menu - Edit

We went to Caravan of Dreams with two other couples (both vegan as well), so there was a total of six of us which means we had an automatic gratuity included. I don't know if that affected the service, but it was very slow in any case. I also never got a refill on my iced tea as they didn't really come around except to take our orders and drop them off. The menu is quite diverse with both raw and cooked food of different ethnicities. We all shared the seitan nachos and sampler appetizer plate to start. I got the soyrizo quesadilla and my friend got the raw one. I enjoyed mine more than she did hers. Dirk got the coconut curry special and was pleased. Also, at the table was raw tostadas and raw pizza. Most of us were happy with the food although it wasn't the best we'd had or anything, but the inattentive service did take away from the overall experience.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 24, 2013

Pros: diverse menu, raw and cooked

Cons: inattentive service

Great Lunch! - Edit

I went with a group of friends to Caravan of Dreams, and everyone loved the food. It's a really cute place with a low ceiling, and it made for an intimate setting. There was a live piano player during lunchtime on a Saturday. 2 out of 5 in our group were vegetarians, and everyone was raving about the food. I had the reuben sandwich which literally knocked my socks off! Other friends had the breakfast set (with amazing chipolte sauce), the polenta with veg (HUGE portion) another reuben and a salad. Great service, moderately priced...expect $12-15 per entree.

Pros: TASTY!!!!, lovely atmosphere, great service

Cons: NONE!

Wondeful vegan food - Edit

I visited here recently and I really enjoyed the meal. I had the Pizzetta and it was delicious. Full of toppings and a massive serving. The pumpkin seed crust was really yum with the pesto and cashew cream. My non-vegan bf had tofu scramble and was very shocked at how good it was and wants me to make it at home now :)

Pros: Excellent food, Great atmosphere, Large servings

changed for the better and pleasantly surprised - Edit

my husband and I have been going to C of C for many years now, but about two years ago we realized it was too stressful to bring our kids there and just stopped going altogether. Part of the problem were the very nice but supremely slow and often incompetent wait staff who made every meal an agonizing experience.
Anyway, a few weeks ago we tried it again with my slightly older children and it is apparent that some changes have taken place. The whole operation is much more professional. The wait staff are pleasant yet efficient.
The menu is slimmed down a bit but many old standbys remain. I always order what used to be called Angel's Green Garden Platter--I think it's called the macrobiotic platter now. It is sauteed kale and seitan served with carrot polenta and gravy. My children like the unchiken nachos. Every green salad on the menu is outstanding. There is not another restaurant in NYC that serves such fresh and thoroughly washed greens.
The downside is that it is expensive. It is also true that sometimes dishes disappoint. A few years ago we decided it was better to stick to the menu rather than going with the specials, which sometimes had kinks that needed to be worked out.
It is not the greatest restaurant to bring children, although they are tolerated. This is partly because the seating can be close together. If you go with kids, ask for a table in the back because there is more room to spread out there. Also bring paper and crayons or other amusements as they will have no such thingds to offer. And be prepared to have the only children in the restaurant. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen other children there.
We usually don't order the raw food, but there is an extensive selection.

Pros: fresh organic food

Cons: more 'spence than vegan fast food places

great selection - Edit

I ate here with a non-veg friend over the weekend. The ambiance was great, with attractive decor and live piano music. The menu was extensive, with brunch and non-brunch options such as sandwiches, pasta and salads. The salads looked fantastic. My friend ordered a sandwich and I ordered a celery root concoction. Both were very good. The portions were very small for the cost, but thankfully we had just eaten a Babycakes treat and did not need a lot to feel full. We also ordered a kefir drink with astragalus that tasted great and felt healthy. The servers were very friendly and helpful.

Many raw food items were on the menu, and I wish I had been able to try them. Someone at another table ordered the zucchini pasta raw special, and someone else ordered a raw fruit parfait, both of which looked delectable.

Pros: 100% vegan, extensive menu, creative items

Cons: expensive, small portions

My Favorite Salad Lives Here. - Edit

I haven't been here in a while.. but I have been enjoying this awesome food for about 7 or eight years now. There is a salad called THE LOVERS SALAD. it is just so beautiful and amazing and delicious.. that with the Vegan un-chicken Nachos.. perfection. I would literally order from here minimum 3 times a week.. and it AINT cheap. It is also a great place to dine in.. breakfast so yummy.. man.. I need to get back there this summer. So, yes..Caravan of Dreams is the REAL DEal when it comes to wonderful, generous, delicious vegetarian food. done.

Pros: Raw Dessert, Fresh Coconut Milk, cozy atmosphere

Cons: a wee bit expensive

GREAT Food and Atmosphere - Edit

We find out about this place while shopping at Mooshoes. And I am glad we did. Everything I had was great, the food and the drinks. Staff was very friendly. This place gets busy but the staff will try to accommodate you as soon as they can.
Next time I go to NYC I will make sure to have dinner here again!!!

Pros: Food, Staff, Atmosphere

it was alright - Edit

I like their mango smoothie. I had the lasagne written on the special. I was hoping for some sparks since I heard this restaurant was well known and also the decoration kept me in a good mood. But I got dissapointed by the entree, I remember that I didnt want to finish it, and that is quite a big deal for me since I usually finish everything. They used vegetables, like peas and corn, which are not the most exciting vegetables in the world. Also the taste wasnt exciting and almost tasteless. I wonder why they just dont use vegan cheese, like Daiya, because afterall it is a lasagne. Mmmh, maybe next time better

Pros: Service, Decoration, Atmosphere

Cons: Prices

just lucky? - Edit

Had I read some of these reviews first, we probably would've skipped coming here. But,I've heard good things about CoD over the years. We must have been lucky in that our waiter was a super-nice new guy, taking a financial break from college. We had the yummy tempeh Reuben, loved it. And a tempeh and polenta and veggie plate. It, too was very good. Our meat-eating friend loved his soup, but wasn't crazy about his raw pate; if I'd been paying attention, I would've advised something else. He's never eaten vegan food except at my house, and certainly never raw. They special made me a smoothie sans banana, yea, it took a few minutes, but was totally awesome. OH and we had the "famous" nacho appetizer. It was just fantastic, much better than ones we've had elsewhere, and our waiter was really nice, bringing us some extra chips for our leftover guac. So, if the service suck when you go, call them out on it and tell them you'll post here!

Pros: Nachos, good food

Cons: a bit shabby

Dissatisfaction - Edit

I went for Valentines day i had been psyched to go for years now, I am very into the raw food movement and have been raw for a year. The raw dish i ordered was around $22 i was expecting to get an extavagent well contructed dish( i ordered a "pasta" dish, it came out as a salad with mango, guacomole and a bit of spaghetti squash on top, it was so disappointing, i even asked if this was the right dish. The service was even bad our entire meal was rushed before we could even dive into our apps our entrees were on the table-- Bad form

Pros: good atmosphere, large menu, super nutritious

Cons: rushed service, missleading menu, unoriginal raw food

Caravan of Blah - Edit

Its not that the food was bad. it wasn't. And maybe if you're a raw foodist, this place is great. That being said, I could have spent $20 at whole foods buying some pre-packaged stuff and 30 minutes of my time to put it together to have the same meal that i spent close to 80 dollars on. The "bruschetta" was on dry sandwich bread and kind of chintzy, the other appetizer, i think it might have been guacamole, was forgettable to me. The raviolis of the day were the same ones i buy at whole foods, and the reuben was pretty forgettable. After the meal, while it wasn't terrible or anything, we found ourselves really angry that we could have saved the money and gone to lan cafe twice for better food and faster (and that's saying a lot; lan cafe isn't known for its speed!)service on a much cheaper bill.

Cons: mediocre, forgettable food, expensive, bad service

Okay Brunch - Edit

We happened upon Caravan of Dreams today and stopped for Brunch. I had the scramble ( which was 70% summer squash and bland, juice and tea for 16. I think for Caravan this is considered a deal. The person I dined with had a breakfast burritto and thought it was great. The waiter was nice enough and attentive--so according to past reviews maybe he's new? My only concern was how dingy and run down it is looking.

Pros: Vegan, Juices, Raw

Cons: Dingy, Dark, Expensive

Live food, dead waitress - Edit

"Live food, dead waitress"
Posted by Fredknows on: Saturday, June 07, 2008
Review: We ate here for here first time and really enjoyed the "raw live food sampler" and several other live items plus the natural fruit and nut drink shakes.

Warm weather is definitely the time for live food (served cold or a room temperature). It was a hot 85 degree day in lower Manhattan so it worked out well. We dined for lunch. When we arrived the restaurant only had a few customers, a few came in later and it was probably 1/2 mid-way through our meal.

The sole waitress on duty was slow to wait on us and terse in responding to our questions about the unique items on the menu. We ordered healthy frozen drinks when we sat down and then midway through our meal some herbal ice teas. We watched her walk back and forth past them on the bar several times without bothering to stop to acknowledge their existence and bring them over to our table. On the 2nd round of drinks, my wife just got up and grabbed them off the bar herself out of total disgust.

So I'd rate the food a 10 on it's uniqueness and the service a 2 for the clueless waitress.

When we left the place we met a girl walking down the street who overheard our conversation upon exiting the restaurant. She said she used to wait tables there and it's a problem with this place. Judging from other peoples comments it's a ongoing situation. But she said not worry, if you come back in a couple month that waitress will probably be gone too!

Pros: great live food and drink

Cons: bad service

Mixed experience - Edit

Caravan has nice atmosphere (with live music) and seems to have an innovative menu. That said, the service was a bit confused (they forgot at least one item we ordered, but still charged us for it), and many of the dishes seemed indistinguishable from one another. This was particularly true of their "live" dishes, which just seemed like glorified salads, more than anything else. I think their cooked dishes would be superior, based upon my experience with their paella (which was light and tasty). Their desserts were lacking, however; none of them, raw or cooked, grabbed my attention or seemed extraordinary. It might be better to go for lunch, at an odd hour, when the service will be less hurried and the food better prepared, perhaps.

Pros: Atmosphere, Cooked dishes, Innovative menu

Cons: Indistinguishable live dishes, Bland desserts, Mixed service

Yummy Delish ^-^ - Edit

Very good food! Try the virgin sangria it is tart and tasty. i also got the mango skewers. the dessert is worth it too. i got a sort ice cream cookie pile withh chocolate and strawberries(amazing). the waiters are a bit disant to say the least and it can be noisy but the live music was nice.

Pros: food, dessert, music

Cons: waiters, blenders

utterly disappointing - Edit

My girlfriend and I, on day 2 of our raw journey through New York City, decided to stop here on this place's reputation alone. It had a lot of potential, west-coast vibe, jazz band playing. Seemed like a cool hangout spot.

The wait staff was clueless, and having been a waiter for 15 years, I am well aware of what this entails. B.S.-ing your way through menu items that you haven't read is one way to incite the ire of customers, and then not finding out the answers and just blowing us off was mistake #2. Somehow, long after our appetizer was done and waiting for our entree order to be taken, we were given an even MORE clueless server, whose answer to a question as "difficult" as "what's in the cabbage wrap?" was (and no, I'm not making this up) "um, nuts .... and more nuts, and some dehydrated veggies"

Wow. Insightful.

The problem ensued when we found out that she may have to see if the kitchen was closed, since there was such a wait between someone coming to our table to order appetizers and entrees. That went over REALLY well, as one could imagine.

The live menu was sizable, which is a plus, but the dishes were not worth the money, and the dessert menu was not handed to us until after we paid our bill.

Word on the street is that the management is unstable, and they do not use organic ingredients like the menu states. Other customers from various NYC restaurants who have eaten at Caravan have shared similar experiences with inept staff and bland food, and have vowed not to return. A note to the owner Angel: neither will we.

Pros: live menu, jazz band

Cons: inept staffing, bland food, too much hype

Not bad - Edit

I really disliked the Tempeh Reuben. Looked good in the description but failed on delivery. Not at all tasty. However, my friend ordered a grilled veggie burrito and it was outstanding. So he let me pretty much eat half of his meal and it was wonderful. We also had the nachos appetizer and it was stellar! Highly recommend it. I should have ordered another one of those. We didn't stay for dessert as nothing sounded terribly appealing to me.

Pros: great atmosphere

Cons: food hit and miss

cozy atmosphere, delicious healthy food! - Edit

while i was visiting new york city in late july 2007 and i went here for dinner. the menu was pretty big (including a live food menu!) and it took me a long time to decide because everything sounded so delicious. my boyfriend had the tempeh reuben that he gets in every veggie restaurant we've ever been to and he says this one was the BEST by far. i had a yummy raw meatball dish that was served with salad and an excellent salad dressing. we also had organic red wine and berry "cheesecake" for dessert. yummy.

our waiter was nice but was kind of aloof. i didn't care though because i was enjoying myself too much. i know it sucks to be a waiter sometimes because i was one for many years.

the presentation was beautiful and the atmosphere was great. it really had that old world, vibrant feeling. overall, very good!!!

Pros: vegan and raw menu, great atmosphere, delicious food

Cons: can be pricey, aloof waiter

best place in nyc - Edit

i have eaten at many different vegan places, this is for sure my favorite. it's absolutely delicious. pricey, sure, but it's a pleasure paying that much. daily specials, extensive menu which is all amazing, great juice & shake bar, i love it all. staff is always great too!

Pros: atmosphere, great tasting

Caravan of Dreams - Edit

Don't get me wrong, the food was good - everything tasted fresh and grainy/healthy, but not particularly flavorful. On that latter point, I really like spicy food which is why this didn't appeal to me so much, but it did have a fresh, natural flavor. My boyfriend and I shared fresh coconut water right from the coconut. :-) But...the menu options are very much what I would consider lunch-type food..which would be ok, except you wouldn't expect to pay $20 for a salad at lunch....and that's just the salad. If you order a drink, an appetizer or anything else..watch out. They're charging vegan fine-dining rates for decent vegan lunchfood. The atmosphere was cafeteria-like with a picnic table feeling. Strictly speaking on the food....if the prices were a third as much I could see myself popping in there for a good, fresh lunch. Under the circumstances, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere for a fine dining experience since this restaurant costs just as much and doesn't deliver anywhere near the level of food or atmosphere. I also agree with one other reviewer that the the servers seemed uninterested that there were customers in the restaurant. It took about 10 minutes for them to even notice we were there, and afterward were unattentive.

Pros: Food fresh, Fresh Coconut water

Cons: Expensive for Lunch Food, Service

Good Takeout - Edit

Only had take out delivered from here - but had an amazing burrito - all vegan and delivered speedily and actually too large to finish. Considered flavours and healthy cuisine make this one for my next visit to NYC.

Pros: delivery service, good size portions

Nice - Edit

I've been to caravan a few times...the food tastes good, and it's hard to please me, as I'm not a raw food fan. Their house dressing is seriously delicious, I've tried to find something close for a long time. The burritos are almost as big as my arm and the burgers were pretty good. This is one of the few places I've been in Manhattan where I can honestly say the salads are worth ordering, they know what they're doing! The service can be a little slow, and the desserts are sort of vile, but the food itself is yummy. I haven't actually ordered anything aside from the burrito, burger and the alfredo special (which is also huge and really delicious). That said, I've definitely gone there and it has been closed or the crowd has been a little odd.

Pros: good value

Cons: the venue itself

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Caravan of Dreams closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 10325 times since Aug 2007.