Candle 79

Contact 212-537-7179

154 East 79th St (at Lexington, Upper East Side, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10021

Upscale sister restaurant to Candle Café. All vegan, organic cuisine presented in a two-floor dining oasis with an organic wine and sake bar. Brunch on Sunday. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-3:30pm, Mon-Sat 5:30pm-10:30pm, Sun 12:00pm-4:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering, Gourmet

First Review by Poundie

The culinary highlight of our NYC visit - Edit

After a long day of 5th Avenue window shopping and a 9/11 walking tour, we arrived at Candle 79 for our reservation and were seated politely and promptly. It's very freeing to walk into a vegan restaurant and be able to order anything off the menu. So nice, that we wanted to order one of everything! Beckie, our waitress, was very pleasant throughout the meal, guiding us with choices and some of her favorites on the menu. She even supplied us with a couple of other local recommendations.

My husband and I split the avocado salad and and appetizer which were very good. My husband ordered the mushroom crepes and I ordered the grilled cauliflower steak with risotto. Both dishes were delicious and beautifully plated. We shared a chocolate peanut butter dessert which was decadent.

Pros: Excellent service, Variety in menu, Delicious food

Cons: Pricey

Very nice place to celebrate something special - Edit

My husband and I love this place. He is not Vegan and absolutely loves the food. Our favorites among many things are the polenta fries and the seitan piccata. Great ambiance and wine list.

Pros: Elegant, Awesome staff

Cons: Pricey

expensive - Edit

We got the fixed menu for Thanksgiving and the dishes were hit or miss. Everything was at least decent, but I feel like the bar is raised when you're paying over $100 (w/tip and tax) for vegetables. We were also crammed into a corner next to a large group. The wait staff was amazing, and the overall experience was fine, just not worth the price tag.

Pros: wait staff, good food

Cons: price

This is the vegan restaurant of my dreams - Edit

I have longed for an upscale vegan restaurant for ages. I found it. We went there for a weekend brunch and a weekday dinner, and both times we got in quickly without a reservation. Service is excellent and attentive. The only downside is that the upstairs tends to be on the warm side.

The food is amazing, freshly made, and flavorful. It ranges from fancy upscale stacks of food to chowing down on a messy burger. And don't go without getting dessert; I've never had vegan cannoli before but the taste and texture was perfect. This will be a frequent stop whenever I go to New York City!

Pros: Amazing food, Attentive service

Cons: A little on the warm side upstairs

great food, off staff - Edit

Classic vegan food, done well, with seasonal menu options. Pricey. The wait staff young man who seated us seemed unhappy, but our waitress was awesome! She had fine suggestions and really made us feel like she sincerely cared despite it being a busy night. We were not rushed, cake/dessert was exquisite. We even got a complimentary appetizer! Would go to again--nothing life changing, but definitely a nice meal.

Pros: seasonal, all vegan, relaxed, raw options

Cons: expensive, tense staff

Fantastic for a special occasion with vegans and non-vegans - Edit

We came here for a special occasion dinner and it was definitely the right choice. The service was quite a change from the usual casual restaurants and we thoroughly enjoyed treating ourselves to this experience. This does reflect in the prices, but we ended up with around $100 for two people, which is still pretty alright given the quality and the experience. We shared an appetizer - the fried dumplings - that we both loved. I was particularly into the gingery sauce. We each had an entree, I had the chimichurri seitan, and shared a side of polenta fries. The portion sizes of the entrees are definitely on the smaller side, which I appreciate. The polenta fries were a good size as a side for two people; definitely too much for one person alone. They were tasty, but bland in comparison to the rest of the food. Nothing I'd get again. I really liked my entree, especially the plantains, that just had the right amount of sweetness to them. The seitan may have been the most tender and least chewy I have ever had - I wonder what their secret is. Afterwards, we shared the chocolate-peanut butter bliss. It may seem like a small serving, but it is incredibly rich and delicious and was clearly enough for both of us. I enjoyed it a lot and would go back again on another special occasion.

Pros: upscale service, great and quiet atmosphere, high-end dishes

Cons: pricey - special occasion only

The BEST! - Edit

Mind blowing and delicious. I had the black bean pumpkin seed burger with the unbelievable heavenly polenta fries and my sister had the seitan piccata and she loved it. We shared the peach galette and peanut butter mousse and were super impressed. The cocktails were great too. Our favorite was the berry long engagement. Perfect late lunch spot.

Pros: delicious food, quick service, great location

Cons: pricey

great service OK food - Edit

I seen a few reviews calling this restaurant The Best Vegan Fine Dining in Manhattan ...No lol This is a casual dinner place with nice food.The staff are brilliant and atmosphere was relaxed family vibe...not a date night place.

AMAZING! - Edit

What an amazing dinning experience! The food is incredible and not overly rich and filling which was nice. Lots of wonderful flavours and the service was also great! Would recommend the chickpea cake and the Mexican chocolate cake soooo good!

Pros: nice ambiance , good service , amazing food

Cons: tightly spaced

Delicious vegan food in a nice ambience. - Edit

After a long day of traveling by plane, subway trains and buses for hours and hours I was treated to dinner in this restaurant followed by a walk through Central Park... both things were lovely, even with jet-lag!

I had an Indian dish of well-spiced carbs and curry on a bed of perfectly cooked (i.e. not overcooked at all) green beans and broccoli with nut slivers on top. It was a great combination. My cousin had meatballs!

Since I was taken out for dinner I can't tell you about value for money, but it's one of the most delicious meals I have had in months... and we cook yummy food at home!

Pros: Delicious food., Good size portion., Nice vibe.

so good - Edit

Good atmosphere, perfect for a nice date, quick lunch, or drinks with friends. The food is amazing, I just want to eat everything on the menu.. The specials are always cool too.. So don't forget about them. I've gone to both locations and they are both so good, I love this place and you will too!!

Pros: food , service , drinks

Cons: sometimes there's a small wait, but it's NYC what , reservations book up fast

Worth it!!! - Edit

Amazing experience! We made reservations before arriving in NYC and were not disappointed! The staff was very helpful but not overly pushy to order! The raw lasagna with cashew cheese was my first cashew cheese experience and my boyfriend had the Setian piccata and it was delicious as well! Go for the deserts too, you won't be disappointed!!

Divine - Edit

Candle 79 is always the first place I want to eat when I visit NYC. Their nut cheeses are divine, their gluten-free mains amazing, their desserts to die for. If you go to just one vegan resto in NY (and I hope you get to go to lots), make it Candle 79. Beautiful, upscale spot, well worth the price.

SO GOOD - Edit

This is my favorite restaurant to go to in the city. I've been back a handful of times and I've gotten something different every visit and have never been disappointed.
My boyfriend surprised me with a reservation here New Year's Day and he requested they get me flowers and they did it! They were waiting on the table for me when I got there.
The drinks here are fantastic as well. I've gotten their peach lemonade that tasted like sunshine in a glass.
I love this place.

vegan fine dining! - Edit

I went with my meat-loving sister and her meat-loving boyfriend and they were quite pleased overall! we loved the appetizer special we got (empanadas). the moroccan chickpea spice cake was great & the seitan wheatballs were amazing! from someone who is 2 years vegan and a former lover of spaghetti and meatballs....this made me so happy. we got the wheatballs as a side, not a main dish with the spaghetti*. the steamed dumplings were okay, but i wish they just had veggies in them and not seitan. the zucchini fries were not that good and we usually love zucchini fries. for dessert, we got the cannoli and the brownie which were both fantastic but the brownie was a bit dry. overall, 3 people shared 2 appetizers, 1 entree, 2 sides, and 2 desserts. they also got a beer and the treehugger cocktail. i think we hit all bases but can't wait for my next trip!

Pros: all vegan, classy, wide range of cuisine choices

Cons: expensive, busy on saturday night

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Candle 79 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.