Canadu

Plaza de la Merced, 21, Malaga, Spain

Offers juice salads, plates, vegan cakes, and mostly light meals; set meal at lunch. Vegan items are marked. English and German menus available. Some seating facing the Plaza. Live music weekends. Open Mon-Sun 1:30pm-4:00pm, Mon-Thu 7:30pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 8:00pm-12:00am, Sun 7:30pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Juice bar, Spanish

First Review by katandp

5 stars - Edit

Delicious food, good range of vegan food including a lovely chocolate cake for dessert. Portions big enough to share between two. Staff are really friendly and speak excellent English which is handy if your Spanish isn't good.

Pros: Good vegan menu, Friendly staff, Delicious food

Soup was awesome! salad was good size but weird dressing - Edit

Super location, lovely outdoor seating! Great options for everyone, and a set menu you can chose from. Also, on Monday's and Friday's there is a pianist inside, which was so nice to listen to.

The only downside was my tropical salad dressing. So many lovely fruits, but the dressing tasted like cool whip, which was just a bit strange, but I think that's just my personal taste. My boyfriends cous cous was awesome though!

Pros: pianist inside, lots of vegan options, outdoor seating

Hearty food at good prices and attentive service - Edit

We were a party of 6 and had a range of different dishes, from hearty, tasty soups to massive Greek salads. Wide variety of main courses. Good range of wines to choose from at very reasonable prices The service is unobtrusive but attentive: they were concerned that one of us didn't finish our Greek salad and were worried we didn't like it A real gem!

Pros: Excellent service from friendly staff, Good value, Excellent food

Very tasty food - Edit

During my few days' stay in Malaga last fall, I ate here two times and tried several dishes.
The food is great!
Atmosphere was also nice.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-16

Pros: Good food, Good price range

Unpleasant - Edit

Gazpacho was good, almond soup also, but the small pot was filled with grapes, so there was not much soup. Salad was with corn and asparagus not fresh but from the can. Waiter did not bother to give us a feeling of being welcome. Free WiFi, but pretty slow. Many guests did not finish their meal, whatever that means... It took a while to pay the bill as there seemed to be an insufficient number of personnel. New guests queued for a table while the money was on the table, but still nobody cared. Not many vegan options in Malaga which could be a reason for this place to be packed.

Great location! - Edit

It's a very well located vegetarian restaurant with a lot of tasty Vegan options of Spanish, European and Oriental inspiration. Staff is friendly and know perfectly well what a Vegan needs! Nice atmosphere inside!

Great location and great food - Edit

We were hesitant at eating at Canadu after reading some of the reviews but I'm very glad we chose to try it and decide for ourselves.
The food was both tasty and plentiful. Lots of vegan choices plus delicious virgin sangria so I didn't feel left out just because I was pregnant.
I would look forward to returning here, a great eatery indeed.

Pros: Varied vegan options, Great location

Cons: none

Great location - Edit

Nice location, vegan options, including vegan cheese, meat substitutes etc. Would appreciate if more of the vegetarian dishes could be veganized, for example the lasagna, mousaka.. But all in all a nice dinner experience, and friendly staff. Would recommend!

Good food, reasonable price - Edit

I was here with my husband. We had different starters and meals. All tasten very well and not just garlic. Service was good.

Not really good - Edit

The Place is nice, you can sit outside.
We had Seitan with rice and the Vegan Hamburger. The Burger was ok, but not good. The Seitan was really bad, kind of slippery, no salt, no other herbs or spices, only garlic and the garlic was fried to long. The rice was just rice, nothing more, no salt as well.
maybe the vegetarian dishes are better, but this 2 vegan dishes were bad.
It was expensive, too.
We were really disappointed.

Pros: Place

Cons: Food, Price

Fun, great location, good food - Edit

Canadu has a great location right on the square Plaza De La Merced (I think that's the right name) near Picasso's birthplace. They have lots of indoor/outdoor seating. We sat outside so we could enjoy the fresh air and watch all of the people milling about. It's touristy I guess, but it was very enjoyable just the same. There's plenty of vegan selections and all of the food I ordered was delicious.

Muy bueno - Edit

El menú del día es para hartarse, hay que ir con hambre. Ricos platos, ambiente súper agradable.. y si está el pianista en directo pues mucho mejor.

Amazing vegan and veggie food! - Edit

We had a wonderfully indulgent time at Canadu. Truly delicious food, lots of clearly marked vegan options, which is really exciting, and superb service. Mains were around €8, but really good value for money. Great setting and lovely atmosphere. The vegan seitan was perfect and the vegan chocolate torte was a mammoth undertaking; maybe the best vegan chocolate cake ever!

Pros: Food!, Vegan options, Service

Cons: Moderate price

Good location - Edit

The location was good with plenty of outdoor seating, but the vegan portion was small and not particularly exciting. The dessert was tasty though.

Pros: Vegan dessert

Cons: Small portions, Bland main course

Very nice lunch in Plaza de la Merced - Edit

A note of explanation: I've been in Malaga for a long weekend with my girlfriend with the intention to eat at the four vegan/vegetarian places of the city. Unfortunately one was closed, therefore we managed to eat at (in order of preference): Cañadú, El Piano (but it was "almost closed", see below), and El vegetariano del Alcazabilla.

This was our first best. We had lunch there and I ordered a menu del día (starter, first course, second course, and cake/tea): by the end of the second course I was super full and could only order tea, a cake would have been too much! However, the food was good and not heavy. It's also very cheap, 9.50 EUR.

There were lots of vegan options for the starters and first courses, then 50% of the second courses were vegan, but there were no vegan cakes (only fruit and tea were vegan).

This was definitively our best vegetarian experience in Malaga (but we couldn't try the Vegetariano El Calafate).

Pros: Big portions, not heavy food, Great location

Cons: No vegan cakes when I was there

Super tarte chocolate in strategic location - Edit

Nice vegan meals, we had seitan with rice and salad, vegetable soup, potato with spicy sauce, 2 tea and chocolate tarte. Everything was tasty. But when I looked to the plates of vegetarian customers - I was disappointed: vegetarians had huge portions! Please give more food to vegans!
Complimentary olives and breadsticks as starter is good idea!
Lifehack: tea is in small pots, ask for hot water extra)

Pros: Perfect chocolate tarte, Location, Reasonable price

Cons: Small vegan portions

tasty food, miserable staff - Edit

Been here a few time as the menu of the day is so cheap, only 10€. My partner said the vegetarian options were decent enough, the vegan options were more hit and miss. Also, the vegan dessert option for the menu of the day is literally a piece of fruit, or a roasted sweet potato, nothing else added, just roasted. Which seems a bit lazy to me.

The staff that work there for some reason are miserable as hell.

Chocolate brownie desert (on the regular menu) is amazing!

Saved by the pudding - Edit

Rainy day in Malaya so sitting in sounded like a good idea,until one of the waiters decided to bleach the front step!! Over lunchtime?seriously???
Sat outside instead and had the longest lunch in history, as the service is far from attentive.
But!!The Vegan Chocolate Cake was to die for!!!

Pros: Modestly priced, Pudding

Cons: Service, Staff

Return to Malaga Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Canadu closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.