Canadu

• Vegetarian
Contact 952-229056

Plaza de la Merced, 21 (at near Picasso's birthplace), Malaga, Spain,

Cañadú has also English and German menu. Juices, salads, plates, vegan cakes, and mostly light meals. Set meal at lunch for for around 8-10 Euro. Vegan items are marked. Nice atmosphere. Some seating facing the Plaza. Live music Thur-Sat.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Juice bar, Spanish

First Review by katandp

Great location and great food - Edit

We were hesitant at eating at Canadu after reading some of the reviews but I'm very glad we chose to try it and decide for ourselves.
The food was both tasty and plentiful. Lots of vegan choices plus delicious virgin sangria so I didn't feel left out just because I was pregnant.
I would look forward to returning here, a great eatery indeed.

Pros: Varied vegan options, Great location

Cons: none

Great location - Edit

Nice location, vegan options, including vegan cheese, meat substitutes etc. Would appreciate if more of the vegetarian dishes could be veganized, for example the lasagna, mousaka.. But all in all a nice dinner experience, and friendly staff. Would recommend!

Not really good - Edit

The Place is nice, you can sit outside.
We had Seitan with rice and the Vegan Hamburger. The Burger was ok, but not good. The Seitan was really bad, kind of slippery, no salt, no other herbs or spices, only garlic and the garlic was fried to long. The rice was just rice, nothing more, no salt as well.
maybe the vegetarian dishes are better, but this 2 vegan dishes were bad.
It was expensive, too.
We were really disappointed.

Pros: Place

Cons: Food, Price

Fun, great location, good food - Edit

Canadu has a great location right on the square Plaza De La Merced (I think that's the right name) near Picasso's birthplace. They have lots of indoor/outdoor seating. We sat outside so we could enjoy the fresh air and watch all of the people milling about. It's touristy I guess, but it was very enjoyable just the same. There's plenty of vegan selections and all of the food I ordered was delicious.

Amazing vegan and veggie food! - Edit

We had a wonderfully indulgent time at Canadu. Truly delicious food, lots of clearly marked vegan options, which is really exciting, and superb service. Mains were around €8, but really good value for money. Great setting and lovely atmosphere. The vegan seitan was perfect and the vegan chocolate torte was a mammoth undertaking; maybe the best vegan chocolate cake ever!

Pros: Food!, Vegan options, Service

Cons: Moderate price

Good location - Edit

The location was good with plenty of outdoor seating, but the vegan portion was small and not particularly exciting. The dessert was tasty though.

Pros: Vegan dessert

Cons: Small portions, Bland main course

Very nice lunch in Plaza de la Merced - Edit

A note of explanation: I've been in Malaga for a long weekend with my girlfriend with the intention to eat at the four vegan/vegetarian places of the city. Unfortunately one was closed, therefore we managed to eat at (in order of preference): Cañadú, El Piano (but it was "almost closed", see below), and El vegetariano del Alcazabilla.

This was our first best. We had lunch there and I ordered a menu del día (starter, first course, second course, and cake/tea): by the end of the second course I was super full and could only order tea, a cake would have been too much! However, the food was good and not heavy. It's also very cheap, 9.50 EUR.

There were lots of vegan options for the starters and first courses, then 50% of the second courses were vegan, but there were no vegan cakes (only fruit and tea were vegan).

This was definitively our best vegetarian experience in Malaga (but we couldn't try the Vegetariano El Calafate).

Pros: Big portions, not heavy food, Great location

Cons: No vegan cakes when I was there

Super tarte chocolate in strategic location - Edit

Nice vegan meals, we had seitan with rice and salad, vegetable soup, potato with spicy sauce, 2 tea and chocolate tarte. Everything was tasty. But when I looked to the plates of vegetarian customers - I was disappointed: vegetarians had huge portions! Please give more food to vegans!
Complimentary olives and breadsticks as starter is good idea!
Lifehack: tea is in small pots, ask for hot water extra)

Pros: Perfect chocolate tarte, Location, Reasonable price

Cons: Small vegan portions

tasty food, miserable staff - Edit

Been here a few time as the menu of the day is so cheap, only 10€. My partner said the vegetarian options were decent enough, the vegan options were more hit and miss. Also, the vegan dessert option for the menu of the day is literally a piece of fruit, or a roasted sweet potato, nothing else added, just roasted. Which seems a bit lazy to me.

The staff that work there for some reason are miserable as hell.

Chocolate brownie desert (on the regular menu) is amazing!

Saved by the pudding - Edit

Rainy day in Malaya so sitting in sounded like a good idea,until one of the waiters decided to bleach the front step!! Over lunchtime?seriously???
Sat outside instead and had the longest lunch in history, as the service is far from attentive.
But!!The Vegan Chocolate Cake was to die for!!!

Pros: Modestly priced, Pudding

Cons: Service, Staff

Great lunch! - Edit

I live in the Malaga province and every time a go to Malaga city during the week I have lunch at Canadu.
The food is fresh, tasty and organic (menu in English too).
At lunch time they have a great "menu del dia" offering various courses for less then 10 euros including dessert.
The bread they serve comes from a local baker that I know personally and I can see that they always try to offer seasonal and local ingredients.
Vegan options are always available. Enjoy!!

Pros: Very close to centre/Picasso Museum, Reasonable prices, Fresh juices

Cons: Opens at 13:30, Can be full

Delicious experience - Edit

Located in Plaza de la Merced, in the heart of Málaga, Cañadú is the best vegetarian restaurant in town. For lunch we got a menu del día with four different courses. The outdoor terrace was very busy while a pianist was playing inside. Vegan dishes are marked in the menu. Friendly staff although very rushed.
Best seitan and green pepper sauce ever! large portions and very moderate prices. Great for non vegetarians too!

Situado en la Plaza de la Merced, en el corazón de Málaga, Cañadú es el mejor restaurante vegetariano de la ciudad. Para el almuerzo nos dieron el menú del día con cuatro platos diferentes. La terraza al aire libre estaba llena de gente mientras un pianista estaba tocando dentro. Los platos veganos estaban marcados en el menú. El personal era amable, a pesar de que tenían mucho trabajo.
El mejor seitán y salsa de pimienta verde! grandes raciones y precios muy moderados. Excelente para los no vegetarianos también!

Just Right - Edit

Cold garlic-soup and mixed salad: perfect. The rice persian: exzellent! Nice, relaxed atmosphere, good service and a fair price: couldn't be far better ...

Pros: Taste, Service, Live Pianist

Great location with okay food - Edit

The Canadu is directly at the Plaza de la Merced, there is a lot of life and it fits in with a whole group of restaurants at the Plaza. It's a really nice atmosphere and it's nice to have a veggi option in a central and touristy area.
The menu is big and features mainly Spanish style dishes and the wine menu contains some really nice organic wines.
In general there was nothing wrong with the food, but it wasn't exciting either. It could have been a little more flavorful (Spicy, more herbes ..) for my taste.
It was really crowded, which of course is good, but the service seemed very slow and inattantive.
Prices are moderate.

Pros: Good assortment of dishes, Organic wines, Good portion size

Cons: Lack of creativity, Slow service

Fantastic place - Edit

I've been to Canadu twice now and I have enjoyed each time. Plenty of food to choose from, nice decor and well located. My only criticism would be that both times the mousse de yogur y aranados (is that how you spell it?) wasn't available and this was months apart - so maybe they should just remove the item from the menu? Nevertheless, the food is fantastic quality and the vegan chocolate cake is immense.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday March 05, 2013

Pros: Great food, Centrally located, Nice decor

Cons: Mousse de yogur never available :(, Staff can be a bit slow

Great! Genial! Großartig! - Edit

There is a menu which allows you to choose one of three plates. Of course there are also individual plates. The food was delicious and the price for the menu great. I couldn't eat up because I was full. Vegan plates, plates without gluten are marked. The employees are very friendly. The smoothies are awesome!

Hay un menú que te permite elegir uno de tres platos. Por supuesto que también hay platos individuales. La comida estuve deliciosa y el precio por menú fue genial. No pude comer todo porque estaba llena. Platos veganos, platos sin gluten son marcados. Los camareros son muy amables. Los smoothies son riquísimos!

Es gibt ein Menü, das dir erlaubt, eines von drei Gerichten auszuwählen. Natürlich gibt es auch einzelne Gerichte. Das Essen war sehr lecker und der Preis für das Menü ist super Ich konnte nicht aufessen, weil ich pappsatt war. Vegane Gerichte, Gerichte ohne Gluten sind gekennzeichnet. Die Kellner sind sehr freundlich. Die Smoothies sind absolut genial.

Pros: Excellent smoothies, food!, Friendly staff, Good prices

Great local food!! - Edit

My favourite vegeterian restaurant in my hometown Malaga!! :D

The food is simply delicious. I really love the fact that they have typical local dishes from Malaga such as "ajo blanco" (cold garlic and almond soup)or "gazpacho" (cold vegetable soup). The "menú del día" is very good for the great price it has! And at night when you can't have the "menú del día" you can enjoy lots of options from the menu such as the wonderfully yummy "meatballs" with tomato sauce and chips. Just my favourite! And don't forget to try the fresh juices!! :D

Staff is nice and quite professional I think. And location is beautiful :)

Pros: excellent food, beautiful location, nice staff

Ajo blanca..mmmmm! - Edit

We need up here as another restaurant was shut and the lovely owner of 'vegandeli' recommended this place to us.
Lovely food. Lots of different tastes . Pity they had run out of vegan cakes.
Staff happy to speak in English.

Pros: The ajo blanco is 'TDF!' gorgeous , Good food, Reasonable prices

Best of Málaga - Edit

We went there for dinner. The outdoor seating of the restaurant stands on the Plaza de la Merced, which is a great location to eat. Good to see a vegetarian restaurant out there. Appetizers offered with drinks include generous portions of olives and breadsticks. We chose to begin with houmous and pickled peppers. The houmous was good but the pickled peppers lacked a little spicy to my view (but they were still good). We then asked for an hawaiian salad (had a great flavour) and a seitan whose taste was crazily close to the one of grilled sardines you find in every beach restaurant around Málaga. Portions were also very generous that we could not order something else.
Prices are very reasonnable for both food quality and quantity, and the great location of the restaurant (35 euros for two persons with beers included).

No real negative point to state after this first experience.

Pros: perfect location, exceptionnal seitan, vegan choices and big portions

Tasty food and good ambiance - Edit

The food was nicely arranged on our plate, the ambiance outside was great - someone was playing the piano inside which can be heard on the terrace. Very relaxing.
I had a lentil salad and I loved it. It was much more filling then it looked. For dessert I had a vegan chocolate cake, it was cheap and it was a really big slice! It tasted really good.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 16, 2013

Pros: Ambiance, Live music, Good food

Cana-don´t even bother - Edit

Went in to the restaurant lovely location but the waiting staff looked completely miserable dressed all in black not the laid back vegetarian style that i thought it was going to be.
Chose the menu del dia and i had the soja pieces with potatoes al pobre and to be honest it was the worst meal I have ever had in a vegetarian restaurant. The person who cooked it obviously wasnt a vegetarian or hadn´t tried this combination before. completely awful

Great dinners during summer vacation! - Edit

My family (some vegetarian some not) of 5 spent a week in Malaga and discovered this right across the plaza from our hotel. It was great! They had something for all of us... even my meat eaters... and a lovely selection of teas with flavors from around the world. I highly recommend!

Lovely - Edit

I arrived in Malaga late last Thursday (2nd May 2013) and my friend led me here. It is a delightful little place, quiet and with very friendly staff. There was a local pianist tinkling away inside, which added to the atmosphere; he was friendly too, coming over to chat after we had finished eating.

The food was very good and reasonably priced. Good, traditional Spanish cuisine with vegan options. I didn't go to Malaga with the intention of writing restaurant reviews, so I have no idea exactly what I ate, but it was vegan and tasty. Don't be put off by negative reviews - some people are never happy and have no perspective! And, no, I'm not connected with the place!!

I would recommend visiting here, as well as many of the other veg places in Malaga, where you will find a variety of veggie and vegan options.

Pros: Food, Friendly staff, There's an occasional pianist

Cons: None that spring to mind

Excellent - Edit

The food was great, service very good and the location is lovely too. Very much enjoyed the fresh apple/mint/lemon juice and the crema de verdura soup (not vegan unfortunately). I had a soy burger with moroccan sauce which was served with the softest, fluffiest couscous I've ever had. My husband had a spicy risotto which he loved as well. We liked it so much we visited it twice in the week we were in Malaga.

Pros: Great food, Good service

Best In The AREA - Edit

Went for the first time and will be back again! Food was so good I asked to speak with the chef as I coikd not believe it was vegan. The Callos was perfect and the vegano chocolate cake was huge and rich. One was enough for four! Very clean friendly and pleasant! The prices are more than reasonable
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 24, 2013

Pros: Choices, Quality, Staff

Cons: Noisy by kitchen

The menu del dia is a bargain! - Edit

For just over 9 euros, you can choose from a great menu del dia here, and eat it in a lovely square while watching the world go by. You get four courses. Starters of note when we were there: a lovely mixed salad, and a soup of garlic and almonds. Second course included a noodle dish and a thick vegetable soup. Then a variety of hot dishes. Finally, fresh fruit or a dessert. The a la carte dishes were huge and very tasty, but for value, the menu is the way to go. The only problem for us was that on our first day in Spain we were surprised to find lunch only started at 13.30 . . .

Pros: value for money, location

Nice waiters, traditional vegetarian food - Edit

We were surprised to find a vegetarian restaurant on such a large square. The waiters were very friendly, they spoke English and had an English menu available.
Vegan item are clearly marked.

I had some cold gazpacho with a lot of garlic and eggplant with bechamel sauce, nuts and a paprika sauce.
My partner had a warm soup and a burger, and was a bit dissapointed that it came without a bun, it were a couple of patties served with sauce and rice.

On a Friday night, they were already open on 19.30 hours.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Central Location, Vegan options

Cons: Bit old fashioned food

Very Good Food But... - Edit

....The service was definitely lacking.

My boyfriend and I went in when it really wasn't very busy (only a few of the tables had people). We got seated fine and although the waiter wasn't outright rude, he wasn't exactly friendly either. It's a bit hard to explain in text, but the food was rather forcefully put on our tables and then the waiter would swiftly move on. We both got the impression that he was in a bit of a bad mood about something!

The food itself was great, and really, really good value for money. We got a deal that was something like 8 euros for 4 dishes. This included a salad, main meal and dessert and something else that escapes me (we went there quite a few weeks ago). The portion sizes were really good too, so we left feeling absolutely stuffed!

Pros: Great tasting food, Quick service, Good portion sizes

Cons: Lack of service

Nice place, good food - Edit

Nice location on the plaza merced which has many outdoor cafes. We went for the menu del dia which was consisting of 4 plates for about 9 euros. It was possible to have the whole menu vegan, and the food was great. We had a mixed salad with strawberry sauce, creamy vegetable soup, cous cous with nuts and vegetables and yogurt with strawberries. Unfortunately we did not have to stay there to eat, but it was possible to have take away. If i come to Malaga again I will go here again and actually sit down on the plaza!

Pros: nice menu del dia, nice, central location, cheap

Good Food And Friendly Staff - Edit

I ate here a week ago and was very pleased with the food and service. I sat outside at one of the 4 tables (inside was nearly full)and had the hummous and endive starter which was tasty and the seitan and rice main which was also good and filling.

The menu was decent with a fair amount of vegan and gluten free dishes clearly marked. And if I had been in Malaga longer I would have made this my "place to eat". With 2 beers, the bill came to about 14 euros. The waitress actually forgot about my second beer as it was quite busy, so the manager said it was on the house. Touches like that always impress me.

I went sunday lunch time and it does seem a popular and pleasant place. Recommended.

Do note that at the moment the square it is situated -Plaza de la Merced - is undergoing serious building work and is just a construction site at the moment. But when finished, if other Malaga Plazas are anything to go on, it will be a lovely place to sit outside and eat.
Updated from previous review on Monday March 28, 2011

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value

Pleasantly surprised - Edit

Having lived in Spain a few years and very rarely going out to eat as there is hardly anywhere that does vegan food, I never expect much anymore. But decided to give Canudu a try. We went on a Saturday night which was fairly busy but managed to get a table inside. The food was good, waiters attentive and the piano player was unobtrusive. All in all quite a nice experience.

Pros: Nice atmosphere , Pleasant waiters

Good food werved with a smile - Edit

Nice place with good atmosphere, the music wasn't too loud and the waiters were plesant. My friend took tortellines of four cheeses (you can choose whether you take it with or without blue cheese), wich was good as well as were my veggie burgers. The menu was extensive and had many good options. It also contained seitan dishes, but I didn't try one because all of them were with rice and I wanted to have pasta (wich I in the end didn't even have :D).

We went there on Saturday so we couldn't try menu del dia. As starters we took "sopa de aho", a cold garlic soup that contained grapes - it was Very good. Our main dishes were mentioned earlier. For dessert we chose the most expensive dessert on the list; it was three-chocolate cheese cake with two balls of ice cream (5,60 €), big enough for two persons. The whole 3 course menu was around 35 € for two persons (main courses ~12-15 if I remember right).

I'm not quite sure wich one of the two vegetarian(-friendly) restaurants we went was nicer, this one or El Vegetariano de la Alcazabilla; if I didn't want to try some other, new place, I would propably go to Cañadu.

Coffee was disappointment: it was Illy's.

Pros: good atmosphere, good sized portions

Cons: coffee

great improvement. - Edit

I go to this Cañadu quite a lot. The food seems to have improved over the past year. At one time the various burgers tasted the same. The munu del dia is also better. Before you could have rice for first course and cous.cous for the nest 2 courses. Very boring. The last few times I noted that they had more variety. I've been told that it changed hands about 1 or 2 years ago.

Pros: friendly staff, reasonable prices, small and cosy atmosphere

Cons: not a great deal of variety

Pretty good for Málaga - Edit

Cañadu was very easy to find, being on the Plaza de la Merced. It's near the Picasso Museum. They had a very reasonable Menu del Dia.

It was completely full when we went, around 2:00pm, and people were waiting outside to be seated indoors. A few people gave up and ate outside, where they have a few tables and chairs. The clientele were mainly locals and regulars, with a few tourists.

The vegan items are clearly marked. However, when my second course came (a spaghetti), it was covered in Parmesan cheese. When I asked the waitress if it was vegan, she said, "Yes...except for the cheese on top." To her credit, she took the dish back gracefully and came back with a dairy-free replacement quite quickly. Because it was so full, we had to chase up bread twice, and the table next to us did as well. Three tables around us were waiting around for a while for the bill. I think that maybe they just need more staff.

We all enjoyed our food, and it was nice to have fresh fruit (cherries) as a dessert option instead of the usual puddings and cakes. The juice of the day which was watermelon and melon was very nice as well.

All in all the staff was friendly although they were clearly rushed off their feet.

I don't know whether they speak any English, but the menu had English.

Pros: Central location, Vegan items marked, Friendly staff

Cons: Got cheese on my vegan item, Need more staff

It could be better - Edit

So first the good. Salads are decent, bread is nice, fresh juices are great... everything else is swimming in oil. We went for lunch and dinner and ended up only being able to eat salad and bread and looking at the waitress in disbelief as she brought out french fries when we asked for potatoes w/o oil and then rice w/o oil and its all covered with oil... You'd think we'd have learned from lunch. There's no problem with my Spanish as I've gotten oil free dishes for about a month and this is the first place I've encountered that is completely ridiculous...

Pros: salad, juice

Cons: oil covered everything, bad waitress, don't expect special requests

Loved It! - Edit

It was great for me and my non veggie friend. Tina ( our waitress )was fantastic and it was affordable. We had wine, pasta, seitan with garlic and lemon ( I recommend )and dessert all for 26 euro. I can't wait to go back!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good portions

Awsome! - Edit

This place was really easy to find, the food was awsome had an English menu, though the waiter didn't speak much english we still managed to get it all across. Vegan options clearly marked. I was there with my boyfriend who is a massive meat eater and he loved his spagetti bolagnase. The patas bravas were lovely and spicy. had seiten and brown rice which I thought might be a bit bland but it was delicous. I reckon this is my fav veg place!

Pros: delicious food, vegan clearly marked, easy to find

cosy place, delicious food - Edit

Lots of food choices on menu. Warm & cozy atmosphere. Green olives set on all tables for nibbles. Nice 1/2 litres of wine. Lots of "media" (half) portions to choose from. Me & my partner each tried the patatas, but with a different sauce. His was the smoky salsa (bravas), & mine was in this heavenly aioli/rose sauce. Enjoyed the verdura sopa (leek, potato, courgettes).

Pros: warm, english menu, tasty food

great food - Edit

visited again on a sunday and it was really busy, had a lovely meal ajo blanco to start and stuffed aubergine. really nice to be able to eat properly after a lot of patas bravas.

Pros: great location, friendly staff, excellent food

Cons: very busy

Return to Malaga Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Canadu closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6638 times since Aug 2007.