Campbells's Nutrition

Contact 515-277-6351

4040 University Ave, Des Moines, Iowa, USA, 50317

Serves meat, vegan options available. Cafe with vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options. Grocery store with many vegan items in stock. Supplement and natural medicine section with vegan options and naturopath on staff. Mon-Sat 9:00am-6:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-4:00pm

Category: Non-veg

First Review by Amy916

health food store wonderful, restaurant terrible! - Edit

They have a couple of tables and a couple of menu items not good for me, since I am a vegan, and also gluten and dairy free. The food is not all that great, and the ambiance is like eating in air middle of a grocery store aisle!

They could really create a wonderful restaurant because they sell all the right ingredients, and it's in a great location. I wish they could have some quinoa bowls with the toasted cashews, alfalfa sprouts, and vegan cheese like they have at Bionatural in Playa del Carmen!

Pros: good health food and grocery store, great location

Cons: bad ambiance for eating, unfriendly wait staff, li

Always feel very unwelcome - Edit

I've shopped at Campbell's for nearly a year at the Urbandale location. I always feel very unwelcome when I shop there. One lady in particular is anything but friendly. I feel like a thief from the second I walk in the door until I leave.

just visting in town, jealous of your town's store - Edit

What a fantastic selection! I am very envious of your store Des Moines! Veg foods abound, and new items to try. Wish there were more veg friendly vitamins...but there are likely just not that many out there. Maybe a label on the shelf to indicate what was friendly & what was not for veg - could be helpfull Campbells!
I read the reviews before heading over to the store & was looking for friendliness...I got a number of 'can I help you', I'm more of a 'let me shop and leave me alone' type person...and thought that the staff was friendly.
I will agree that there were a lot of bags used to pack up my items though!
ah well, it was a mini veg-haven for me...too bad its 4 hrs away from my normal every day.

Pros: selection, selection, selection!

Excellent Staff!!! Only the bes!!! - Edit

I have only had excellent service and help!!! They have always known all the answers to my questions and have always gotten me the products I have needed!! I am questioning the other reviews. I cannot believe everyone doesn't get treated with great respect.

not stealing,thanks! - Edit

I shopped at campbell's only when the the friendlier staff at the smaller health food store didn't have what I needed. The female staff at campbell's is not only rude to me but follows me around the store like I'm robbing them blind.Guess what I'm not!I find this very upsetting and have talked to a former employee and was told that this is their policy due to my dreadlocked hair style.How sad for a health food store to treat customers this way.Needless to say I will never give them any of my hard earned money again. I estimate I spent two to three hundred dollars a month there as I eat only organic.I can live with out them and will shop the other health food store and will drive to the Iowa city coop and buy the rest in bulk.

Love - Hate relationship - Edit

I would agree that the staff is somewhat of a let down. They definitely cannot check out a customer quickly. Sacking groceries is a huge challenge. I always leave annoyed at how long it took to put seven items into a bag (or even better three or four bags (which really?? I expect Hy-Vee to waste sacks but Campbell's??)). I have never been satisfied with a staff answer when I have asked a question. Seems like they are just guessing and hoping you will let them get back to chatting or what not.

The produce section is a joke as is the frozen food selection. They also do not have premade hummus, which I think is really weird for a natural grocery store. They do seem to have a nice selection of gluten free items and carry a variety of bulk items.

While I do think there are improvements to be made, I do try to do all of my shopping either here or at the other natural food store because I hate them less than Hy-Vee.

Pros: Large health/beauty sect, Baking supplies abundant

Cons: Slow staff, Bad hours, Little produce

Return to Des Moines Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Campbells's Nutrition closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2186 times since Aug 2007.