First Review by condekedar

Veg friendly Chinese in Dinkytown! - Edit

As a vegan, I am always leery about eating out, but this place was a gem! They even had a separate vegan menu! We were greeted warmly by the owner. The place is small and the decor is nothing to write home about, but to find a place that has soups with vegan broths was awesome! My dining companion is gluten-free and was able to eat without worries. The owner seemed to know what that meant, and served different dipping sauces for our shared order of spring rolls and told her that my sauce had soy sauce in it and she should not eat it. She ordered a huge bowl of soup, and I ordered kung pao tofu. She was very pleased with her soup. My kung pao was fine but not spectacular. The spring rolls were the cold kind and were soooo good! They looked to be freshly made when we ordered them. This restaurant offered mock duck and mock pork. Nothing I'm interested in, but others may be. The owner was proud to assure us that they do not use water chestnuts or baby corn or bamboo shoots--only fresh vegetables! I will be going back to this place often!

Pros: Separate vegan menu, Very accommodating owner, Yummy food

Cons: Atmosphere

Love Camdi - totally vegan supportive - YUM! - Edit

Camdi is always perfecting its vegan options - has specific vegan-fare menu insert with 'regular' menu. Wonderful offerings and superbly cooked; also rice is in gigantic rice-cooker, fresh and lovely. **Camdi uses SEPARATE WOKS for vegan cooking!!! YAY!** Food is very affordable, service is friendly and thoughtful. Wish I had a car - I live very far from Camdi and have to take a bus via 2 transfers, so I only go there for lunch. HIGHLY recommend all vegan dishes and urge supporting this excellent, family-run business. Vietnamese & Chinese foods all delish!

Pros: Guaranteed vegan woks, Lovely vegan menu, Delicious foodie foods

Cons: Small, can be crowded as is near UofM, Bathroom access via kitchen and stairs, No handicapped access to bathroom

Decent, but room to improve - Edit

I really like that Camdi has an all-vegan menu with numerous (and unusual) soups, appetizers and pan-Asian entrees. They also cook all the vegan dishes in separate woks and fryers, which is much appreciated. The service was friendly and prompt. That said, I wasn't amazed by the food. It's much better than your average strip-mall Chinese joint, but not as light, fresh or tasty as Evergreen on Nicollet or Jasmine Deli, also on Nicollet (two of the best Asian restaurants in the Twin Cities). Their tofu vegetable curry was solid, but nothing special and reminded me heavily of Lotus To-Go restaurants and also E Noodle Cafe in Roseville. Their mushroom stir-fry with mock pork was a bit too salty, oily and sticky for my likes; the mock pork, too, had a horrible texture, like fried tofu that has gone soggy and chewy after soaking in water. The vegan cream cheese wontons were definitely good, though, with just the right balance of savory flavor and crispiness. If the quality of the food here improves, I would definitely give it another star. At present, it's a distant third when it comes to Asian food in the Twin Cities.

Pros: Separate, all-vegan menu, Service

Cons: Mediocre food quality on a whole, Overstated salt and oil, Not 100% vegetarian

Return to Minneapolis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Camdi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.