First Review by crowbarr

Excellent value - Edit

So good I visited twice during my stay in Rome. They have a fantastic choice of vegan ice-creams. Almost as many as non-vegan ones. The staff are very friendly and are happy to let you sample before you buy. Every flavour I had was superb and so fresh tasting. The first time I had a €5 pot with four flavours. The second time I had a smaller pot for €3 for three flavours. It really is very good value for money as you get a lot of ice cream. I've paid more in Rome for much less. I would thoroughly recommend this place and will definitely return next time I am in Rome.

Amazing Place! - Edit

This place is amazing!
It has vegan meals, giant vegan cookies and vegan gelatos!
I find it very good the fact they have the vegan ice creams separated from the other ones.
This places is located in a very nice area with some typical italian streets.
A place to visit!

Good gelato and cookies - Edit

The vegan gelato was good, but not the best we had in Rome. Most of the gelato is made with eggs. We also had vegan cookies - again good, but not the best we've ever had. Excellent decaf coffee! We didn't have a main meal. Has a few tables and chairs facing the atmospheric street, so we enjoyed sitting there.

Pros: good food, nice atmosphere, friendly service

Cons: Only a few tables

Contributions +21

Loved it! - Edit

Nice little lunchroom/dinner place in the city centre, near Piazza Navona.
Cooked dishes/baked goods are not that great, but the ice cream is really good! Lots of vegan options!

Pros: Vegan gelato, Vegan menu options , Everything organic

Cons: Staff is a bit passive/uninterested, Cooked/baked goods are of poor quality, No clear marks for vegan options in menu

Unexpected find - Edit

We were wandering through the streets of Rome on our way to the Pantheon when we spotted an A board that said vegan cake. Well, the Pantheon had to wait as I always get excited when I see any notice that says vegan let alone one that says cake! The staff were very friendly and we enjoyed our cake. Whilst eating the cake, we spotted that they also had vegan ice cream! Whilst in Italy I had eaten a lot of sorbet but the chance to have ice cream was too hard to resist especially as they also had vegan friendly cones! Definitely enjoyed our visit even if it was just a little dessert orientated! Our hotel had made us pizza so we didn't need lunch!! Will definitely go back if we visit Rome again.

Pros: Vegan ice cream with cones, Vegan cake, Friendly staff

Great place for ice cream and not food. - Edit

Me and my boyfriend visited Rome recently and went to try out CamBIOvita, we started with eating lunch and I ordered rice with vegetables and my bf chose burger with sandwich. He was pleased with the burger though it wasn't the biggest portion, he loved the sauce. I however did not like the rice and vegetables, the taste was okay but it dripped with oil. I could see my whole plate was covered in oil and so was my fork. I won't eat lunch/snack there again but I will defiantly come back for more ice cream.

We are ice cream there twice and we loved it!! Best vegan ice cream ever :) totally recommend the ice cream to everyone who visits Rome.

Nice food and wonderful vegan icecream - Edit

This is a small cafe with seating limited to a few stools and narrow tables, but it wasn't that busy the two times we went there sio no problem getting a seat.
One of the staff members was from England. The other spoke very good English. They were very friendly and helpful.

On our first visit I had a pizza streudel made with filo pastry and my partner had a mushroom pasta. The mains were charged at €8 each. In addition we shared a large mixed salad. The food was very tasty.

On our second visit we had slices of pizza, also €8 each.

Food is served on paper plates.

They have a number of vegan ice creams (made with rice milk) and sorbets. I had the pistachio icecream and it was blissful. By the way, check with the staff as some of the cones aren't suitable for vegans.

It gets 5* because of the friendly staff and the icecream

Pros: Wonderful vegan icecream, Tasty savoury food, Friendly and helpful staff

Cons: More expensive than Universo Vegano

My worst experience in a restaurant - Edit

The owner treated us in a very bad way, as if we were criminals, just because we didn't like food (but we didn't complain about it and we were respectful all the time!). He wanted to charge us two menus although we has just asked for a menu and a dish, he cried to us and he asked us not to come back... We had no intention of coming back never again. Incredible.

Pros: vegan options

Cons: owner's treatment, small portions (too expensive), lack of information about menu, dishes

Lovely :) - Edit

This was the closest veggie restaurant to where we were staying on our recent stay in Rome - we were staying very close to the Vatican City.

It is a cafe that serves pre-made meals - rice salad, savoury slices & tarts - as well as some meals to order - veggie burgers, seitan etc. They also have a wide variety of sweets, cakes and cookies; fresh juices, coffees; and are also a gelato bar - half of which are vegan gelato!

The staff were really friendly and lovely and they even made me an iced chocolate even though it wasn't on the menu - I described a drink we have in Australia and they said oh we can make you one if you like? It was really delicious!!

We ate there twice on our stay - first time we ordered a salad from the menu and also had an italian pizza wrap - both of which were not too bad but not amazing - then we ordered some of the pre-made rice salad - it was really yummy! My coffee and fresh juices were wonderful!

The next day we had gelato - amazing! - Also the iced chocolate they made me with gelato and soy milk - DELICIOUS! Plus I had the potato & vegan béchamel tart - SO DELICOUS! Plus more rice salad.

Would definitely recommend this place - however it is quite small with very limited seating (not table service) so might be better as takeaway - or wait until someone leaves to eat in :)

Pros: Location, Staff were friendly , Vegan Gelato

Cons: Limited Seating

small portions - Edit

this is mainly an ice creme and dessert shop but it also sells hot food. everything is vegan, so that is a big plus. on the otherhand, portions really are too small and value for money it just doesn't do it. the food is good though but they should at least double their portions to be fair.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday December 23, 2014

Pros: vegan

Cons: small portions, not value for money

Gellotta options - Edit

Good food, small portions, not necessarily the place to make your euro go the furthest. But they had 3-4 different food offerings each day and 5 or so baked goods. The most favorable part of this place for me, was their gelato options, it was really nice to have more options than: lemon, mixed berries, and melon. Don't get me wrong they had them and many more, and all of them tasted very fresh. Would recommend for a quick bite and treat. Small place maybe 7-8 seats.

Healthy, Delicious Food and Incredible Gelato - Edit

We discovered this small restaurant by accident when the place that we were planning to go was closed for August vacation. Initially we were disappointed, but after finding CamBio Vita not far away, we were glad that our course had deviated. There was so much we enjoyed about this place. The regular food was almost all vegan, all the cakes and pastries were vegan, and the vegan gelatos were clearly marked with a V next to the flavor. We had delicious savory tarts filled with wonderful things - ratatouille, Italian greens and rice, artichoke hearts & sun dried tomatoes - to name just a few. The crust on these was tender and amazing. The owner told me that it was whole grain spelt that gave the crusts their unique flavor and delectable texture. We also had the chocolate espresso cake on our first visit. It was fantastic! The dark chocolate gelato was the best I've ever tasted in all of Italy. Rich and satisfying beyond my expectations.

We were surprised to see that some reviews said the portion sizes were too small. We didn't find this to be the case at all - and we are from Texas where everything is big! The prices were also reasonable. This is fresh healthy food in a casual setting, not fast food. It was well worth the price and then some. We liked this place so much that we went there twice while we were in Rome and even bought food for the long plane ride back to the states. It will be one of our first stops next time we are in Rome.

Pros: Delicious, creative food. , Perfect portion sizes. , Friendly and attentive service.

Cons: We only got to visit twice.

Loved Cambio Vita in Rome! - Edit

I had a nice lunch at Cambio Vita in Rome today. It's near Piazza Navona, just a few blocks away in a historic building. Yummy cous cous plus salad and a vegan torte, finished off with vegan gelato that was creamy and delicious! The owner Ike was very friendly and we chatted about life in Rome and his experiences opening the cafe. It's a great bet for healthy food in the centro storico. Recommended!

Pros: Delicious food, Great location, Nice people

High prices, small portions - Edit

I found this place by chance when I was wandering in Rome and all of a sudden I became very happy to know there was a restaurant with vegan options in that area.
The blackboard outside said you could order a vegan dish and a glass of wine for 10 euro. It seemed as an excellent price to me AT THE BEGINNING. When the food came, it was like a starter: salad, very thin slices of tofu and potatos. I ate in five minutes, and, no, I don't eat fast. I was still very hungry and believing that the restaurant could impress me, so I ordered a piece of zucchini pie. The size of the piece they sent was like a joke: I could eat it in two normal bites. Terrible.
I thought Cambiovita deserved one more chance because its desserts looked so tasty (and, at that moment, my stomach was full of salad, a little piece of pie and a lot of air). But, once again, the size of the cake I ordered was just mean. The two small scoops of ice cream that were beside the cake costed to me more than the big cup of ice cream my boyfriend ordered. There are no rules for the prices -- almost never displayed inside the restaurant. The bill was a mess: the same beverage had two different prices, we didn't understand how much was each item.
If the italian "kindness" costs me an arm and a leg (because the owner was so talkative and smiling), I prefer to go to a place where I won't have this.
I won't go there again.

Pros: Tasty ice cream

Cons: Expensive, Small portions, Untransparent prices

Very Tasty Vegan Gelato and Pastry Options - Edit

On our trip to Rome we happened to find CamBio Vita on our last night, and we wished we would have found it sooner! The vegan pastries were really good even if you are not vegan. They will even heat them up and serve them with gelato for you. I highly recommend the vegan dark chocolate gelato. They also had non vegan gelato options if you are with a non vegan, but all the pasties were vegan when we went. The service was great also. I enjoyed and would visit again. I highly recommend this place to vegan and nonvegans for a great dessert stop.

Pros: Vegan pastries, Vegan Gelato, Great Service

Return to Rome Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CamBio Vita closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6319 times since May 2014.