Calypso Roti Shop

Serves meat, vegan options available. Caribbean cuisine. Vegans could have lentils and rice, curry cauliflower and potato, kidney beans and rice, black-eyed peas and rice, curry chick peas and rice or roti, doubles (two turmeric based rotis with curried chick peas inside), coconut and mango sorbet for dessert. The atmosphere is warm with bamboo accents, a palm thatched awning and sweeping tropical fans. It also has a kids room. Open Tue-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Take-out, Caribbean, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by Jazz79

Absolutely fantastic! - Edit

After a trying day, something nice finally happened - we found this delightful restaurant with an ocean-front view and very friendly staff. Ricardo, the owner, bent over backwards to accommodate us - even letting us sit on the patio with our little dogs. He even gave them dog cookies! He was very helpful with advice on the area too. The food was amazing! We ordered the Buss-up Shut Roti with Curry Califlower and potato which was very good, but the "Doubles" (Curried chick peas sandwiched between two bara (vegan) $5.00) were to die for!! We topped off our meal with coconut sorbet which was the best we've ever tasted!! This is definitely a great place for vegans like us!!!

Visited September 2016

Pros: tasty , bright and cheerful, friendly

Killer food. - Edit

We decided on this place after reading the reviews here. They were not wrong! Amazing food and people! All of the food was super delicious and most is already veg. The Doubles are amazing and the sorbet is the best I have ever had! Cannot recommend this place enough if you are in Tofino!

Pros: Lots of veg options, Super tasty, Sorbet, Sorbet, Sorbet

Great Food, Lots of Vegan Options - Edit

We ate here the last 3 days in a row and will be eating here a few more times before our trip is over. Food is served fast, fresh and a great price. Our kids love the food too. Sitting as a family on the outdoor patio over looking the water, eating and enjoying a cold beer. Definitely try a double, but we've been getting the curry cauliflower and potato along with the lentils/beans and rice as well. Would recommend this to people visiting Tofino, especially if you're vegan or veggie.

Pros: Multiple Vegan Options, Outdoor Patio Overlooking Water, Great Food, Fast & Fresh, Good Price

Cons: There are no cons

It's like a spiritual awakening in my belly - Edit

Yum! This spot is fantastic. There are so many vegan/vegetarian options and all of it is delicious. The prices are very reasonable compared to much of Tofino and the portions will definitely fill you up. The food is made fresh in the morning at this family owned and operated spot and you can tell it's made with love.

The setting is one of the best in town with indoor and outdoor seating right on the waterfront. The staff is warm and lovely every time I visit and they really make me feel like they appreciate that I've stopped by.

Eat here if you are in Tofino!

Pros: Several vegan options, Great views, Friendly staff

Cons: I can't stop eating here, That's not really a con, That's how good this place is

A gem of a restaurant! - Edit

Calypso Roti offers a variety of delicious vegan options and can easily accommodate gluten-free as well, all while having an authentic Caribbean food experience. The food is fantastic and affordable and is served by warm, friendly staff who are very accommodating. Be sure to save room for the coconut sorbet, which is made in house! The only tough part about going to Calypso is deciding what to have!

The restaurant sits next to the ocean and has beautiful views. In the late spring and summer you can watch the sunset right from the comfort of your table while eating an incredible meal.

Two thumbs up and five stars! I just can't say enough good things about this restaurant and their incredible food.

Pros: The food! , The service!, The view!

Best Veg Restaurant in Tofino - Edit

This place is the best kept secret in Tofino! It is located right on the waterfront (outdoor patio too), it's the best value in town, and the food is amazing.

Vegans and gluten-free folk can eat most items on the menu and the portions are insane. Why has it taken so long for Tofino to figure out that healthy, tasty food can be affordable? Who cares because this lovely family has and are resetting the bar of what is acceptable in this expensive little town.

If you need a hearty meal after your surf or kayak come here and order the 'LA plate' (not on the menu - it is apparently what the local vegans and GF folks ask for) and maybe a Doubles. If that doesn't fill you, you may have a leak!

On the lighter side, order a Doubles (or two) and a rum and punch and watch the comings and goings of Tofino's main dock.

Try to save room for the homemade dessert!

Five out of five stars for these innovators! I'd give them ten stars if I could.

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-14

Pros: Tasty vegan & GF, Affordable!, Location location location

Cons: None, None, None

Vegan Love!!! - Edit

I've finally found a place where a vegan menu is not an afterthought. Calypso has a variety of options to tantalize my taste buds and each time I go I have been able to find a new combination to satisfy my appetite. Make sure to try the house-made sorbets...you'll LOVE them.

Pros: Excellent Food, Amazing View, Very Positive Energy

Cons: Food May Sell Out

Return to Tofino Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Calypso Roti Shop closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 248 times since Jul 2016.