Calypso Cafe

Contact 615-321-3878

3307 Charlotte Ave, Nashville, Tennessee, USA, 37209

Serves meat, vegan options available. Quick and healthier food, with veg choices. Soups, burritos, nachos, black beans, corn muffins. 2015 moved here from Elliston Place.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Fast food, Non-veg

First Review by Smallu

Decent option for locals - Edit

Straight to the point-The veggie burger is not great. That being said they have a few sides as well as black bean dip which are good vegan options and their menus is clearly labeled on which items are vegan or can be made vegan by omitting cheese or sauces. The orzo salad is pretty tasty. It's a good option for a quick lunch, but nothing to write home about, and there are so many great places for vegan options in Nashville.
But...

I'm always happy to see vegan options available at restaurants and kudos to Calypso for making that a part of their menu!

Pros: Good Value, Outdoor Seating, Fun Atmosphere

Cons: Food Could Be Better

solid vegan options - Edit

This place is like home cooked fast food. You can order to go or sit and it's super fast and friendly service. You can take your non veg friends here. Beans and three are great although it's not clear if all locations have vegan black beans, so just ask. I just had the vegan burger and it was decent. I've had a lot better, but it's good. Make sure you double check about the bun being vegan, because it wasn't when I asked and they gave me the flat bread instead. Overall it's a good inexpensive fast option!

Calypso Cafe - Edit

Calypso has several locations in Nashville. I have visited them all.

You really can't beat the beans and three for a vegan gluten free value meal. The black beans are good (ask for no sour cream), the sweet potatoes are a little mushy but good, the callo (greens) are fantastic, and the wild rice mix is filling.

The best thing about this place is you can go here with anyone - non-vegetarians, kids - there are good options for everyone. I used to really enjoy the spicy roasted jerk chicken myself.

Pros: Beans and 3, Callo (greens), Something for everyone

One of our favorite places in Nashville - Edit

My family and I love this restaurant. I'm a vegetarian - very close to vegan - and my husband and son both eat meat and dairy on occasion, and we all love to eat here. They have their vegan options clearly marked on their menus, which makes ordering a breeze. I've had the roasted chicken, which was very delicious at the time, yuck :-) and it's still my husband's favorite. I've heard the salads and nachos are delicious, but I always get the plate of side dishes because they are so yummy. I usually get irritated when I have to order all sides at a restaurant, but won't get anything else here, go figure. Even my seven year old loves it! The deserts are awful though. Even the staff told me they were gross. The prices are great; the three of us eat for under $25.

Pros: delicious food, staff wonderful, great prices

Cons: disgusting deserts

Been Going For Years - Edit

The "take it easy" cafe has several locations in Nashville. The interior of the eatery is usually lime green with fun animal murals and the usual suspects like Bob Marley play in the background. Staff adorns t-shirts and shorts, so you can too. The food is mainly cafeteria style, so much of it is premade (like black beans). A waiter does serve you the dishes very quickly, and it is all good and fresh. It's a good place for friends and families who eat healthy, but may have those who are vegan, veggies and carnivores. I opt for the all white quarter chicken, with the barbecue sauce (it is a spicey sauce, not the bb&q your thinking of), black beans and onions, and the plain side salad. Decently priced.

Pros: quick, fresh, yummy

Cons: could be cleaner

Nachos! - Edit

The nachos are extremely vegetarian customizable which I love because they are delicious and I can split them between me, the bo and the kid. Their veg burger isn't bad but I always opt for the nachos...delish...lots of jalepenos and rice....yummm...so yeah, they aren't a vegetarian restaurant but they are veg friendly, inexpensive and yummy for the nachos.

Pros: Staff, Nachos, Price

Cons: No vegan options, Microwaved food

A for Effort - Edit

This is a big, lively, colorful place, but it has the feel of a cafeteria. I'm vegan so I was pretty well limited to the starter items, most of which are vegan or can be veganized. I had the black beans which were wonderful and a side of rice, which looked well-seasoned, but wasn't. I know that Nashville has limited veggie options, but this is one place that I don't have any need or desire to return to.

Pros: Big, bright, Parking, Vegan options

Cons: Limited Menu, Needs vegan entrees

Return to Nashville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Calypso Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3134 times since Feb 2009.